• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I can have a psychiatric origin?

eric_gladiator

I am always doubted that my ME can have a totally psychiatric origin, untreated traumas, an unresolved past, sleeping badly at night for years, besides adding too much physical activity, bad diet ... The only thing that does not fit me is that my symptoms have appeared with the taking of antidepressants, and if these are to treat those traumas how is that to root of them I developed a disease like this?

Cheesus

There is no good evidence that ME has a psychiatric origin.

Some people claim to have improved using psychiatric interventions. Whilst I am in no position to say definitively whether those interventions had any efficacy, the reality is that there is a broad lack of evidence that psychology can cause any disease.

If it is apparent that antidepressants triggered your condition, it is more likely that a physiological trauma induced by the medication is the causative agent.

eric_gladiator

@Cheesus

being that way you could continue to improve? I have the feeling that as there is something that makes me worse, there must be something that improves me

It is quite usual that CFS/ME sufferers react badly to classical antidepressants. Also, trauma often correlates with maladaptative conditions, not just real problems in life which are subjective. Something which is easy to handle by a healthy person may be unbearable for others. You can have both conditions.

If something makes you worse, it does not mean that there must be a remedy. Medications usually give you benefits at some cost, that for some ppl is just too big to pay (side effects).

Cheesus

@Cheesus

being that way you could continue to improve? I have the feeling that as there is something that makes me worse, there must be something that improves me

Yes, there is definitely a good chance you could improve. Sometimes that will just occur naturally without any intervention on your behalf other than pacing. Different things work for different people.

skipskip30

You also have to consider that the ME/CFS just appeared suddenly or you had it very mildly for a long time with a sudden worsening of symptoms. The timing with starting antidepressants could just be coincidence. It doesn't always have to start after a (noticeable) viral infection. I can understand the burning desire to find a cause or a reason for it but try not to blame yourself for anything you've done. Sometimes these things are just impossible to know.

Personally I think the idea of childhood trauma or psychological issues alone causing this illness is nonsense.

Theres always hope for improvement, just try to pace yourself the best you can and never give up hope.

I am always doubted that my ME can have a totally psychiatric origin, untreated traumas, an unresolved past, sleeping badly at night for years, besides adding too much physical activity, bad diet ... The only thing that does not fit me is that my symptoms have appeared with the taking of antidepressants, and if these are to treat those traumas how is that to root of them I developed a disease like this?
Did you look into the side effects that those antidepressants are known to cause?Have you googled the names of those medications+liver damage or hepatotoxicity?(particularly advisable if nausea is among your symptoms).How about damage to the peripheral nervous system?There are medications(antibiotics-I don't know about antidepressants) that can cause that kind of damage,so maybe you can look into that as well.What are your symptoms?