• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural/herbal antibiotics that don't boost the immune system?

Horizon

I would like to try natural/herbal antibiotic supplements that either do not or don't boost the immune system very much. I also have autoimmune disease on top of the M.E. and dont want to aggravate that because I take immunosuppressants for it.

Any ideas?

Tammy

I don't know if you can find an herbal anti-biotic that doesn't in some form or fashion boost/help the immune system in some way. I know of a lot of herbal anti-biotics but when googled............they seem to in some way boost the immune system. When I googled goldenseal............it said only one study showed that it may boost the immune system. Goldenseal needs to be pulsed if taken for long term. I've pulsed goldenseal on and off..............it is one of the nastiest tasting herbs ever!

Heck no to oregano oil and goldenseal.

Artemisinin is broadly antimicrobial and very calming to the immune system. Medium chain fatty acids like caprylic acid and monolaurin are pretty benign as far as my immune system is concerned (which is HYPERsensitive), though i dont tolerate lauricidin brand monolaurin at all, sets off my mast cells for some reason. Also, i dont believe mms to be immune boosting either and can be very effective even in small doses, if tolerated.

Tammy

Heck no to oregano oil and goldenseal.

Artemisinin is broadly antimicrobial and very calming to the immune system. Medium chain fatty acids like caprylic acid and monolaurin are pretty benign as far as my immune system is concerned (which is HYPERsensitive), though i dont tolerate lauricidin brand monolaurin at all, sets off my mast cells for some reason. Also, i dont believe mms to be immune boosting either and can be very effective even in small doses, if tolerated.
The OP was enquiring about herbal anti-biotics that would not boost the immune system. If you search the ones you mentioned ........Artemisinin and monolaurin can also boost the immune system. That's why I mentioned above .............that I don't know if it is possible to find one that doesn't in some way boost the immune system. You mentioned Artemisinin is very calming to the immune system.............. So is Lemon Balm..(anti-viral, anti-bacterial)...........but still you can find info that it will boost the immune system. Boosting the immune system does not mean making the immune system hyper.

Last edited:
Goldenseal contains berberine, which is a pretty potent th1 stimulant.

Youre right, most do in one way or another, to some degree. Artemisinin and some of its derivatives are used as immune suppressants in a wide variety of diseases that regularly prescribed immune suppressants are used for, and theres plenty of studies to back that up. Monolaurin is quite mild, not nearly enough t cell stimulation to worry about overcoming an immune suppressing drug, and its very effective against a wide range of pathogens.

Of course, run anything past your doctor before trying it.