• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else used an infrared portable sauna?

Horizon

I bought a portable infrared sauna to help with pain and detoxification. I am worried this will aggravate my histamine response and POTS but I am desperate to see if I can get some relief.

I did break out in a rash and very itchy the first time so I am going slow.

Any experiences good, bad or neutral with sauna therapy?

Thinktank

My experience with FIR sauna has not been great. I bought it to "Detox" during lyme treatment.
Unfortunately it worsened my POTS / dysautonomia because of heat intolerance, so the thing is just collecting dust now.

Hilary

Hi @Horizon - I have had a blanket sauna for some time and have used it intermittently although only regularly in recent months. Trying to use it 3 times a week for detox. I can't say I've noticed any obvious changes as a result, either good or bad but I'm hoping it's useful as part of a wider picture. The only time I avoid it is if I have a headache as I think these are due to vasodilation.
What I have noticed is that if I'm feeling generally better overall, I sweat far more readily - within a few minutes. If I'm in a relapse, it can take 30-40 mins. Sorry can't be more constructive.

Horizon

Hi @Horizon - I have had a blanket sauna for some time and have used it intermittently although only regularly in recent months. Trying to use it 3 times a week for detox. I can't say I've noticed any obvious changes as a result, either good or bad but I'm hoping it's useful as part of a wider picture. The only time I avoid it is if I have a headache as I think these are due to vasodilation.
What I have noticed is that if I'm feeling generally better overall, I sweat far more readily - within a few minutes. If I'm in a relapse, it can take 30-40 mins. Sorry can't be more constructive.

Thats good to know. It is funny the first time I sweat a lot, the 2nd time I didn't break a sweat at all. Go figure haha.

sb4

I would be careful with it for 2 reasons.

1. These things usually have very high nnEMFs, so you could end up doing more harm than good.

2. I have heard that FIR is not so good, and you want NIR. Near IR contains a lot more in the wavelengths 600-1000nm which are very good for mitochondria. I think the body also responds well to 1500nm but above that I think you will just be heating yourself up without the photobiomodulation effects and heat can be very bad if you have POTS.

Good news is you can build your own NIR sauna for less than £100. Just buy some 250W Lamp holders, and some 250W NIR lamps and you are good to go!

Hilary

Hi @sb4 - Can I ask where you heard that NIR is preferable? As I don't especially want to make myself sicker, I'd be interested in following this up.
Also, do you know of a reliable gadget for testing EMFs? (what does the nn stand for??) Excuse all the questions..

sb4

@Hilary I got the information mainly from Jack Kruse but also other sites when I was looking to build one myself.

I think the reason is IRA is best because it contains the most frequencies that molecules in our body respond to whilst heating up minimally. I think it also penetrates deeper as the longer wavelengths get absorbed by water, though not 100%.

I would personally try to avoid getting myself too hot, the benefits of a sauna are not necessarily the heat but the photobiomodulation which is most at IRA (600-1000nm). It has been proven that these wavelengths help mitochondria produce ATP, but I think it has much more effects.

The nn stands for non native EMF. Basically most man made electronics will have negative effects on your cells as proven by research. If your are very close to the source as you could be in most portable saunas, then you will be getting a very high dose which destroys the EZ of water in your body, as far as Im aware, and this will likely do more harm than the benefits of IR.

Hilary

@Hilary I got the information mainly from Jack Kruse but also other sites when I was looking to build one myself.

I think the reason is IRA is best because it contains the most frequencies that molecules in our body respond to whilst heating up minimally. I think it also penetrates deeper as the longer wavelengths get absorbed by water, though not 100%.

I would personally try to avoid getting myself too hot, the benefits of a sauna are not necessarily the heat but the photobiomodulation which is most at IRA (600-1000nm). It has been proven that these wavelengths help mitochondria produce ATP, but I think it has much more effects.

The nn stands for non native EMF. Basically most man made electronics will have negative effects on your cells as proven by research. If your are very close to the source as you could be in most portable saunas, then you will be getting a very high dose which destroys the EZ of water in your body, as far as Im aware, and this will likely do more harm than the benefits of IR.

Interesting, thank you. I'll do some more reading. So much to understand..

Mij

I did FIR saunas a few times and although it increased my metabolism it depleted my energy after each session. It affected my OI negatively and I needed to lie down for a long time afterwards.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Good news is you can build your own NIR sauna for less than £100. Just buy some 250W Lamp holders, and some 250W NIR lamps and you are good to go!
Would you also have to build something to enclose this?

ChrisD

I've just started using a portable IR Sauna last week, but I think I used it too many days in a row (4/5) and possibly depleted by mineral/electrolyte stores because I've been feeling really POTSy with a thumping heart and chest tightness at times. I now understand that you have to take it quite slowly and only use it a few times a week.

I am also on a ketogenic diet so that may explain the need for more electrolyte supplementation. Something to be wary of anyway.

Hufsamor

I have one, and first of all it helps my painful legs and thighs.
I drink a lot of water, at least 0,5 litre, with salt (rock salt)
I learned that it is very important, to maintain the minerals in the body and to not dehydrate.

Mostly it feels good, but I can get exhausted, so I prefer to use it last thing before bed.

ChrisD

@ChrisD Could it just be the heat causing the increase in POTS? Heat makes me way worse.

It doesn't feel the same as when I have a hot shower and the heat immersion has a noticeable effect on my CNS and I feel dizzy, unbalanced and more fatigued. With the Sauna plus a cold shower, I feel really good after but hours later I experience the same symptoms of heart palpitations and adrenaline rushes that I get when I haven't had enough Electrolytes on Keto - So I am pretty sure it is that. Also the symptoms seem to be alleviated after drinking a lot of salt water.

@Hufsamor I think I will just do it 1-2 times a week now with a large bottle of electrolyte water.