• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain on fire and treatment

Gemini

I don't know if I missed it.............but what was the treatment?
Some familiar, to us, treatments: [excerpts from Wikipedia]

first-line immunotherapy... involves steroids to suppress the immune system, intravenous immunoglobulin, and plasmapheresis to physically remove autoantibodies. A study of 577 patients showed that over four weeks, about half the patients improved after receiving first-line immunotherapy

Second-line immunotherapy includes rituximab, a monoclonal antibody that targets the CD20 receptor on the surface of B cells, thus destroying the self-reactive B cells. Cyclophosphamide, an alkylating agent that cross-links DNA and is used to treat both cancer and autoimmune diseases, has sometimes proven useful when other therapies have failed.

Other medications, such as alemtuzumab, remain experimental

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-NMDA_receptor_encephalitis

Gemini

What are your thoughts?
@Nickster, by any chance was this post moved to a different thread?

Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, 3 patients, and the book "Brain on Fire" were featured on a one-hour program on HLN Network two nights ago...

Interestingly, the Autoimmune Encephalitis Alliance website indicates 15 different types of AE and three labs offering testing: Mayo Labs, Euroimmun, and Athena Diagnostics...

Nickster

I have left a message and emailed the primary neurologist and his clinic to get more information.
I think there is so much more to these different types of disease and inflamation. More diseases seem to have similarities.

Nickster

@Nickster, by any chance was this post moved to a different thread?

Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, 3 patients, and the book "Brain on Fire" were featured on a one-hour program on HLN Network two nights ago...

Interestingly, the Autoimmune Encephalitis Alliance website indicates 15 different types of AE and three labs offering testing: Mayo Labs, Euroimmun, and Athena Diagnostics...
This thread is under news and research

Gingergrrl

Another excellent book on this topic is "The Girl on the 6th Floor". She has anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis which if hadn't been discovered in time, I don't think she would have survived. It is told from the perspective of her father and is very easy to read.