• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has juicing made you feel worse?

Apple

My stomach doesn't like them, but they do give me a little tiny boost (probably because I don't eat enough vegetables!).

notmyself

feeling worse the first few days ,maybe even 1-2 weeks is normal from what i know..is the detox process..

Thinktank

feeling worse the first few days ,maybe even 1-2 weeks is normal from what i know..is the detox process..
No that's not normal. It's food we're talking about, not a medical treatment.
Feeling lousy because of blood sugar swings and a complete change in micronutrient ratio until one is accustomed to the juices is possible, but i don't believe it has anything to do with "detox". Feeling really sick after juicing has more to do with allergies, pseudo-allergies and intollerances.

gettinbetter

No that's not normal. It's food we're talking about, not a medical treatment.
Feeling lousy because of blood sugar swings and a complete change in micronutrient ratio until one is accustomed to the juices is possible, but i don't believe it has anything to do with "detox". Feeling really sick after juicing has more to do with allergeis, pseudo-allergies and intollerances.

I think it may be different for different people

Helen

Have any of you actually gotten worse when using raw juices?
Yes, I did until I got to know from a fructose intolerance test that I can´t break down more than just small amounts of fructose. I used to put some fruit in the mixer to make the juice more tasty. I also had a food sensitivity test that showed sensitivities to ananas and bananas among other fruits.

Last edited:

Mij

During the first 7 years of illness (1990's) I was juicing mass amounts of greens etc. I started improving over those years but I don't attribute it to juicing. So the answer is no, juicing did not cause negative problems.

Mij

Why? I initially was diagnosed with PVFS back in the 90's and it developed into M.E.

Revel

I see I find that hard to believe

@gettinbetter, spontaneous remission without any form of treatment or specific dietary regime is not at all unusual.

For many of us, this illness follows a relapsing/remitting course. Over the past 40+ years I have experienced several spontaneous remissions. Living in the UK as I do, there are no viable treatment options available and I was doing nothing out of the ordinary that could possibly have contributed to a remission, no prescription medication, no supplements, no special diet . . . it just happened.