• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Byron Hyde's video talking about the 1904 epidemic, the compensation paid to LA ME victims etc

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Dr Byron Hyde talks about the 1904 ME epidemic (new to me), the huge compensation paid to the medical victims of the 1930s epidemic, the disastrous influence of the insurance industry, features of ME, the misdiagnosis of CFS and much more.

Is there a mistake where he says that patients with damage to the limbic system don't have ME? (about 6.17).

Is there a mistake where he says that patients with damage to the limbic system don't have ME? (about 6.17).
@MeSci I think he means without that brain injury to the limbic system the patient doesn't have ME.

Thanks Doctor Hyde is one of those experts who not enough people seem to know about. His "Clinical and Scientific Basis of ME/CFS" is still an incredible read, and it was written in 1992!

Though there has been so little progress hopefully that date doesn't put people off. In medicine and science, like a lot of other things, there is a view that new=better but when a field takes wrong turns that isn't the case and sometimes one has to go back to the older stuff before said turns were made...

"Of the 13 doctors on that [1988] definition 10 or 11 of them had never published on ME or CF before or after that definition (...) other than two or three, had ever even seen an ME or CF patient."-Dr. Byron Hyde (6:39)
Edited 8/24
Link for the book: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zik0o5oyauru3rp/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.compressed.pdf?dl=0

Link for the site: https://www.nightingale.ca

Last edited:

Countrygirl

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2017/05/23/doctors-hyde-amy-browns-m-e-enterovirus-story/

This is a fascinating and instructive history of a UK 12 year old who was sectioned when displaying symptoms of chronic infection who was finally diagnosed by Dr Hyde when he visited here in 2010. For those of you who know the story it was also when he visited Brian to attempt to get him released from section........................as you know he failed and Brian is still detained.

Thomas

Dr. Hyde's "limbic system injury" requirement for ME is straight from his friend Jay Goldstein's early work (See "Chronic Fatigue Syndromes; The Limbic Hypothesis" by JG). Where their opinions differ however is in the classification of this particular phenomenon. Hyde thinks it's a requirement to have ME but not "CFS" where Goldstein sees that point as irrelevant, as he believes the limbic injury is simply a part of an entire spectrum of this illness we like to refer to now as "ME/CFS". I don't believe he differentiates real ME from not real CFS. This is evident in the name of the book I mentioned above - notice how it is entitled "Chronic Fatigue Syndromes" (plural) and not "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" (singular).

It was Dr. Hyde who tipped me off on this when I was sitting in his office while he worked away on my chart. He gave me a copy of the book to flip through while I waited and said that it was Jay who pioneered the use of brain SPECTs in order to diagnose the illness. Goldstein later ditched using the SPECT and basically just diagnosed people based on presentation and history. However Hyde continues to use the SPECT as a hallmark for his diagnosing of the illness and believes that without a clear abnormality one does not have "ME". And he may be right as he does get referrals of a lot patients that in fact have other illnesses. Problem is, nobody with "ME" has any pre-illness spects to use as a comparison. Another more serious problem is that brain perfusion can change so easily and be influenced by so many different factors that they really aren't reliable tools. I imagine it was the latter problem that led Goldstein to stop ordering them. Oh yeah and also, Goldstein wrote in his later works that brain perfusion on spects actually decreased upon the administration of a successful treatment. So he probably ditched them for that reason as well.

Having said all that I personally believe they can be used a small part of diagnosis as well as be useful for disability claims assuming the physician and radiologist that perform and read them actually know what they're doing, what to look for, and how to articulate it properly as to make it meaningful.

Dechi

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2017/05/23/doctors-hyde-amy-browns-m-e-enterovirus-story/

This is a fascinating and instructive history of a UK 12 year old who was sectioned when displaying symptoms of chronic infection who was finally diagnosed by Dr Hyde when he visited here in 2010. For those of you who know the story it was also when he visited Brian to attempt to get him released from section........................as you know he failed and Brian is still detained.

You mean Amy Brown is actually a boy, and this happemed in 2010 ? I thought this was very recent, from this year ?

It is so sad what they did to this little boy and his parents... :-(

Countrygirl

You mean Amy Brown is actually a boy, and this happemed in 2010 ? I thought this was very recent, from this year ?

It is so sad what they did to this little boy and his parents... :-(

No, that was another case @Dechi . Dr Hyde visited him when he attended the meeting in the House in 2010. Amy;s story is recent.

I wrote it in the middle of the night under the influence of a zopiclone when everything I write has to be re-interpreted at best or at times is just double dutch and makes no sense at all. The brain is mostly asleep, but the body is active.:( Sorry for the confusion.

Is there a link to the PDF? The link this points to is broken.
I see, at first I was afraid his website was no longer active! (Unfornately, That's happened to some many good resources like those on cfids-cab, rescind and Dr Bell's site) Instead, looks like the me-pedia link pointed to an old version.

Here is the new link to the book which worked for me: The Clinical and Scientific Basis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

I'm sure you could order it off amazon or from his site directly. A note: for me the site automatically plays the sound of a tiger (or lion :cat:) roaring so that might be startling for some of us.

unto

If there was a user who wanted to give me a synthesis of dr. Byron Hyde would be very grateful to him; (It would be a huge job for me to stop the video in every sentence
Then transcribe word by word and finally translate.
Thanks in advance

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
... a synthesis of dr. Byron Hyde would be very grateful ...

ME is an "analog to poliomyelitis" - both are caused by enteroviruses - the difference being the location of the enteroviral infection - with polio it is lower on the spinal cord and can cause paralysis, with ME it is higher on the spinal cord giving us our set of symptoms.

knackers323

ME is an "analog to poliomyelitis" - both are caused by enteroviruses - the difference being the location of the enteroviral infection - with polio it is lower on the spinal cord and can cause paralysis, with ME it is higher on the spinal cord giving us our set of symptoms.

And the treatment is.... we dont currently have one for enterovirus do we? Or do they think the virus is gone and the damage is left behind?

unto

Thanks to many Scott ..., very interesting the dr. Byron Hyde;

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
I sent my blood to Armin Lab and they found coxsackie at 1:10,000, so some personal confirmation to Dr Hyde's contention.