• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fructose and None Alcoholic Fatty Liver

Peyt

Hi,
I have NAFL and I also have SIBO which means I have a tough time digesting Fructose,
I don't think many doctors would consider not being able to digest fructose as a cause of None Alcoholic Fatty Liver because none of my doctors have ever mentioned it.
However, today I came across this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2423467/
and wanted to know if anyone knows any other research or first hand information about this specific correlation between Fructose malabsorption and None Alcoholic Fatty liver?

I wonder if Fructose acts similar to alcohol and builds up somehow in the liver and cause problems?

ChrisD

Very Interesting, I have a genetic predisposition to NAFL and have a hard time with Fructose, any fruit causes an almost immediate increase in CFS/Fibro symptoms including pain in arms and hands....

Gondwanaland

Fruit has generally little to do with NAFLD. Problematic is fructose from refined sugar and HFCS.

Intolerance to fruit is much more related with fiber fermentation in the gut, SIBO => FODMAPs intolerance.

Peyt

Fruit has generally little to do with NAFLD. Problematic is fructose from refined sugar and HFCS.

Intolerance to fruit is much more related with fiber fermentation in the gut, SIBO => FODMAPs intolerance.
True, but many fruits are high in Fructose,
There is a free FODMAP app available that one can download on their phone which shows which foods are high on FODMAPS,
and Fructose is part of FODMAPs

Peyt

Does anyone know if there are any lab tests to measure the Fructose in the liver? Or how is Fructose tested to be identified as a cause of NAFL?