• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prof. Ron Davis gets a standing ovation! MECFS17 Symposium

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Hi guys,

Here is a roundup of the amazing MECFS17 Community Symposium that many of you watched and commented on :)

OMF%20End%20MECFS%20logo%20.jpg

Standing%20ovation%20cropped%20by%20RD.jpg

Open Medicine Foundation (OMF)

Ron Davis Gets Standing Ovation!
Very rare for a scientific presentation!

August 12 was an amazing day at OMF’s Community Symposium on the Molecular Basis of ME/CFS at Stanford University. The room was buzzing with positive energy. The researchers' presentations were incredible and showed great insights into this disease. There were renowned scientists from all over the world, and from related fields revealing interesting new insights into ME/CFS research. Patients, caregivers, clinicians, and other researchers attending interacted with these scientists during breaks, lunch and an evening reception, and there was so much excitement and optimism in the room.

Here are some of the highlights from this amazing meeting (stay tuned for more!):
  • Additional comprehensive evidence that ME/CFS is a molecular disease was presented.(Yet another nail in the PACE coffin!)

• Experts in metabolism, immunology, genomics, neurophysiology, electrical engineering and bioinformatics presented data.

• We learned about innovative ways to find new pain drugs and saw elegant evidence of a clear connection between the immune system and the brain.

• The scientists decided to continue as a “Working Group”, and are already planning multiple new ways to work together to facilitate and accelerate progress.

• Nobel laureate Mario Capecchi noted how important patient participation is in studying any disease, and how impressed he was with the amount of ME/CFS patient participation!

• In Ron Davis’ concluding remarks he stated that it is clear that what is missing is funding. He described ME/CFS as “a horribly underfunded disease”. Progress has been impressive despite the limited resources, but it is clear that more funding is needed to unravel this mystery and find treatments and a cure fast.
We need your help to accelerate the pace!

Every Donation of Every Size Brings Us Closer to A Cure.
To End ME/CFS, the world is counting on brilliant researchers working collaboratively.

If you have ever thought to donate to our End ME/CFS project, NOW IS THE TIME! We need to keep the momentum going and leverage the expanding interest in finding a cure.

Thank you for giving what you can today.

Sincerely,

linda%20signature%20001.jpg

Linda Tannenbaum
CEO/President

PS - Please forward this message to family and friends. Encourage them to join you in your support of OMF's research for treatments and a cure.

Thanks guys,

B

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49) @AshleyHalcyoneH

slysaint

featured here:
http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2017/...-molecular-basis-of-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

"Earlier this month, several hundred researchers, doctors, patients and caregivers joined forces for the Open Medicine Foundation’s Community Symposium on the Molecular Basis of ME/CFS chaired by Davis at Stanford, with another 2,700 worldwide joining online. Known for his contributions in biotechnology and genomics, Davis has rerouted his career to tackle this disease and save his critically ill son. He’s brought together an interdisciplinary team of collaborators, many of whom spoke at the symposium. “The Human Genome Project taught us that we can take on a large project like this and succeed,” Davis said."