• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reishi experience?

outdamnspot

@ljimbo423 recommended Reishi mushrooms to me. I tend to be very sensitive to supplements and crash easily, but wanted to take a break from the gut treatments. I was just curious if anyone else has had any experiences, good or bad?

CedarHome

@ljimbo423 recommended Reishi mushrooms to me. I tend to be very sensitive to supplements and crash easily, but wanted to take a break from the gut treatments. I was just curious if anyone else has had any experiences, good or bad?

Well, we're all different.

But twice I've tried a mycological "immune booster" that included Reishi (because, duh, I was sick with "mysterious illness" all the time), and twice it has gradually made me much worse. The first naturopath I worked with recommended it.

It took me a long time to tease out that's what was causing me to get worse, because the response took took months to develop, and because the first time I quit it, I started an elimination diet at the same time. I got better within days.

Is that because it's an immune stimulant (see whole theory on Th1/Th2 imbalance in CFS/ME, possibly outdated now and replaced by something far more complicated)? Who knows!

Good luck!

outdamnspot

Does anyone know if Reishi lowers cortisol? I took 2 caps of the Nature's Way extract when I woke up and have felt 'low cortisol' symptoms all day -- more relaxed, but depressed, sluggish, hungrier etc.

Gondwanaland

I have been looking into reishi's property of blocking 5a-reductase (to block the conversion of testosterone into DHT) and xanthine oxidase (to lower uric acid), but am afraid to try it due to autoimmunity.

outdamnspot

I'm not really sure if there's an AI basis to my illness (though there is AI disease in my family). Still, I've been feeling really awful and worse as the day goes on since taking the caps this morning. I've been wondering if there's a 'necessary evil' to immune activation we need to push through at first, or if it's just making me worse.

Gondwanaland

One property of mushrooms I know make me feel worse is the inhibition of aromatase (inhibits estrogen synthesis).

Tammy

Does anyone know if Reishi lowers cortisol? I took 2 caps of the Nature's Way extract when I woke up and have felt 'low cortisol' symptoms all day -- more relaxed, but depressed, sluggish, hungrier etc.
You might try just 1 cap to start out with and see how you do.

eric_gladiator

Hi. I'm about to try this reishi mushroom but I do not know if it's worth the risk, I see people who have complained, others who have improved .. I honestly do not want to happen to me as with the ad that made me very bad

Reishi works great. Like most supplements, when you are hypersensitive, they dont do much. As you recover beyond 80% or so and gain awareness of your body, you can really feel the relaxation.

eric_gladiator

Reishi works great. Like most supplements, when you are hypersensitive, they dont do much. As you recover beyond 80% or so and gain awareness of your body, you can really feel the relaxation.

There are cases where the patient says they have worsened, I understand that this acts as an immunolder but I do not know if I could do well, even if I try and I see that I am doing badly I can remove it without serious consequences