• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Young Leader on the Road to Recovery and Helping Others

JaimeS

Wow.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-st...er-on-the-road-to-recovery-and-helping-others

Baken said she was at her worst about the age of 20.

"At that point I was house-bound and basically bed-bound – so pain and insomnia and all sorts of memory loss."

She had intense pain, nausea, had trouble eating and talking, and wouldn't go out of the house or see anyone for months.

The syndrome was "very restrictive and very kind of hopeless".

Baken said she was "healed" by God just before her 21st birthday and her health gradually began to improve.

"I was prayed for and then I started improving at that point."

....nice for some?

A.B.

I heard this recently, but don't remember where: "patients have as much difficulty telling why they got better as they do with telling why they got sick".

If I suddenly get better, I could go around telling people I got better by ranting on online forums about bad science.

JaimeS

JaimeS

Regardless of belief system, I think it's irresponsible to say that religious practice healed you.

It has Unfortunate Implications: that other religious people who are afflicted just haven't done the right religious practice in the right way, or haven't yet learned the lesson God wanted to teach them via their condition, or that God in some way favors the recovered person.

I am sure that's not what people are really thinking when they are sick and become well and say such things, but it has to enter the minds of the religious and still-afflicted when they read / hear those statements. It seems thoughtless.

aaron_c

Regardless of belief system, I think it's irresponsible to say that religious practice healed you.

It has Unfortunate Implications: that other religious people who are afflicted just haven't done the right religious practice in the right way, or haven't yet learned the lesson God wanted to teach them via their condition, or that God in some way favors the recovered person.

I am sure that's not what people are really thinking when they are sick and become well and say such things, but it has to enter the minds of the religious and still-afflicted when they read / hear those statements. It seems thoughtless.

I've actually been told #1 and #2. I think they put a "maybe" in there--reminding me of myself when I'm trying to see if I can find a way to justify a pet theory. Unwarranted certainty in anything grates on me, and has come to grate on me more since I've been ill.

But in terms of everyone agreeing it's irresponsible: If they were actually right and they knew the right way to pray then the good they would do by spreading the Word would outdo the harm done to the feelings of those left behind. Most religions at least have factions that regard themselves as the one true way, and in my experience their take on faith healing will often mirror this. In addition most religions have a way to explain why "the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike." Although I'm sure more than one person has wished that if God did nothing else at least He could indicate which way they were supposed to pray. Effing ineffability, eh?

Gingergrrl

It sounded like she said she was prayed for (by others) shortly before her health gradually started to improve vs. that she prayed for herself asking to be healed. I don't think she said she was cured or that she was telling others that they were praying wrong and this is why they were not cured (but I skimmed it quickly and could be wrong). It seemed pretty benign to me and I felt happy for her, especially being sick at such a young age and now being able to work (even if just six hours per week) and lead a support group to help others.

Hutan

This video is only for the rabid atheists among you who don't mind Tim Minchin or serious swearing. If you think you might be offended, you probably will be, so don't watch it.

Despite being firmly in the atheist camp I thought this article wasn't bad in terms of its impact on people with ME.

The 24-year-old from Palmerston North has myalgic encephalomyelitis, known as chronic fatigue syndrome, which is thought to be an autoimmune disease.

She said the syndrome was widely misunderstood and some people mistook it for a psychological illness.
"It's a multisystem autoimmune disease – well, thought to be – which is incredibly debilitating," she said.

I've seen much worse descriptions of the illness.

It has unfortunate Implications: that other religious people who are afflicted just haven't done the right religious practice in the right way, or haven't yet learned the lesson God wanted to teach them via their condition, or that God in some way favors the recovered person.

I've spent half an hour trying to explain to myself why this article doesn't bother me that much, even though I agree with what you have written Jaime. Maybe, if you are an atheist with ME, you will just dismiss this claim that God did the healing but still get some hope that spontaneous significant improvements are possible. And if you are a religious person who believes God can choose to heal you, this story might give hope and in any case you have your faith to help you feel that there is a purpose to the suffering.

There are plenty of stories about people attributing their recovery from all sorts of illnesses to God or gods. I don't think one more will affect anyone very much. I'm glad this young woman is no longer in a miserable situation.

Good spotting @aimossy re the surname being the same as one of the authors of the recent Massey CFS study. That's interesting.

Last edited:

sarah darwins

This video is only for the rabid atheists among you who don't mind Tim Minchin or serious swearing. If you think you might be offended, you probably will be, so don't watch it.

Wow. That is awesome!

I've never quite been able to get into Tim Minchin before but that's, um, converted me, even if my Catholic upbringing had me crossing myself throughout!

No clue how he remembers the words and keeps them straight. Talented fella, isn't he.