• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who can recommend a Magnesium form?

amaru7

Hi,
I'd like to get to supplement Magnesium, now there are too many forms and dosages available out there and many tablets too large to swallow. I heard Magnesium Citrate and Glycinate are g2g.

https://uk.iherb.com/c/Magnesium

Could anyone recommend me a product? I want it for improving energy, muscle and nerve function.

amaru7

Mg Oxide has the highest elemental part (300mg per 500mg) but low absorption if that I remember correctly.

amaru7

Thanks to all, I got me some Citrate, because it was available in the shop near me. is 400mg enough?

Try transdermal? Mg chloride or sulphate. Taking magnesium orally might be better little and often rather than in infrequent great big slugs, due to the way the body only takes what it needs. There's another thread on this somewhere although too foggy to find it right now.

amaru7

I opened a discussion about transdermal Magnesium before and the evidence is inconclusive, that's why I will be sticking to oral Mg first.

leela

WHat works for me is mag glycinate when I'm in a loose stool phase, and mag citrate when more constipatey.
I also have a huge bag of mag chloride brine to add to my bath, which is a really soothing way to uptake
both for sore muscles and aggravated CNS, with no overt effect on the gut.

Stretched

I found Mg Theonate by Source Naturals a couple of years ago, referenced in a journal
for being highly efficient biochemically, neurological vs e.g. Mg Oxide (which passes through
the system, used to relieve constipation).

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
My whole problems stopped while using the oil of magnesium ( I have too mcuh stomach issues so oral bad idea for me)

Cheryl M

So today I tried my new magnesium carbonate powder (off Ebay, sold for chemical research). It tasted and smelt of NOTHING. (It's weird when you make it into magnesium oil as well - it doesn't dry into crystals, just powder...)

I found this highly suspicious as I have been using m. citrate powder for a long time and it tastes godawful. (So do the m. bisglycinate tablets.) I have always had to take it in strong cups of coffee to mask the taste. I began to suspect the Ebay seller had just sent me chalk.

Looked up magnesium carbonate online. It turns out it is tasteless and odourless.

Brb, just off to kick myself repeatedly in the corner for choking down the m. citrate all these months...