• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How often do you cry?

dancer

Just interested

An interesting question. Since getting ME/CFS, I've probably been able to cry a handful of times in 10 years. I don't have the physical energy that crying demands. Any emotion - including joy - can bring on a payback of exhaustion, so just as I've learned to move more slowly, I also have learned to mute my natural stirrings of emotion. Not sure if I'm explaining that well.

belize44

I find that I go through cycles of intense fatigue which is usually accompanied by emotional fragility. I couldn't say how often, since I don't consistently cry when tired, but it is fairly predictable that when crashed, I am more likely to cry; especially if I must force myself to function.

I'll buck the trend....sadly I seem to have got more likely to be on the verge of tears and often totally out of context ...I think this seems to be magnesium related or folate. This is not something I had a problem with before I got ill. I think family bereavement was the only thing that made me cry in 10 years. Now a DIY program will set me off...quite embarrassing really. Not very manly :cry:

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I find crying, the same as laughing, gives me terrible PEM and so sadly I have learnt to try and suppress most emotions and keep on a very even keel. This can be very frustrating.

A crash nearly always comes with a few tears and some emotion though, which is my sign I am well overdone.

Dechi

I was a person who didn't show emotions easily before ME. Now, it seems that the center of my emotions is affected. I know my limbic system is, and I think it regulates emotions. Anyways, I have this knot in my thorat pretty much 24/7 and I feel Ready to cry at any emotion that will present itself. Anything happy or sad will trigger tears. I cry just about every day, sometimes 2-3 times a day.

It doesn't last too long most of the time, a few seconds. I have to admit I have been having depression since last march, and it is probably augmenting this feeling as well.

Last edited:

Dechi

I am unable to cry for a long time, I mean years. I am also unable to laugh, I lost my sense of lightness. The only feeling I deeply feel and able to show is anger. I get pissed off veeerrry easily nowadays. Other times I'm pretty blank in general.

Anger is the emotion I can't deal with anymore. It takes too much energy to have. When I want to get mad, I feel like a little mouse trying to roar, it's just not happening...

image.jpeg

ahmo

I've always cried easily. These days, it seems to be pretty related to my physical/biochemical state. A few years ago I started using lithium orotate. From the first dose, I was no longer bursting into tears at every sad story. Currently I take it about once a week.

OTOH, I fairly often find myself briefly whimpering, moaning, or repeating a mantra of curse words. Not so often, but probably at least weekly. :rolleyes::cry::D:balanced: