• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good brands of magnesium?

ebethc

I've found that the form of magnesium is more important than the brand... I've used Source Natural Magnesium Malate for a long time, which helps w pain (due to the mag being bound to malic acid)...

Next, I want to try the Mag Glycinate and Mag Lysine, which have immune/anti-viral effects.

my notes below
==
FORMS OF MAGNESIUM: All magnesium is mined as minerals from the earth. However, the mineral is bonded or chelated to various organic or inorganic substances to increase absorption and bioavailability. Different forms of magnesium have varying levels of magnesium concentration.

* Organic forms: glycinate, bisglycinate, lysinate, citrate, malate, aspartate, gluconate, threonate, and lactate.
* Inorganic forms: oxide, sulfate, chloride, hydroxide, and carbonate.

Generally, the organic forms are much better absorbed and better tolerated by the gut because they increase the body's ability to recognize and absorb the mineral. Inorganic forms are cheaper, not as well absorbed, and act as laxatives, but have higher magnesium concentration.

* Magnesium Oxide. This is the most common and cheapest form of magnesium. This form contains a very high level of elemental magnesium, so you can fit 100% of your daily value of magnesium (400 mgs) into one pill. However, there is evidence that very little of this form is absorbed and taking more than one or two pills can cause a laxative effect. Magnesium oxide is possibly the worst form of magnesium and is not recommended.

* Magnesium Citrate. This is the second most common form of magnesium. It is certainly better absorbed than magnesium oxide, but it can also cause a laxative effect if taken in higher doses. High levels can draw water into the bowels resulting in loose stools.

* Magnesium Glycinate and Bisglycinate. Glycinate has one glycine bound to magnesium while bisglycinate has two glycine molecules. These are probably the best forms, with bisglycinate providing more glycine for added absorption and additional relaxation and detoxification benefits. There is no laxative effect. The disadvantage here is that these forms have low magnesium concentration, requiring higher number of pills per day.

* Magnesium Lactate. Moderately well absorbed and has been shown to provide benefits for stress. Some people are allergic to it. This form needs more research.

* Magnesium Malate. Very well absorbed with no laxative effects. It has been shown to help people who suffer from fatigue. Helps balance stomach acid, as well.

* Magnesium Gluconate. Moderately well absorbed with little or no laxative effects.

* Magnesium Aspartate. Moderately well absorbed but aspartate is best avoided in high doses as excess aspartic acid can negatively affect nerves.

* Magnesium Threonate. Very well absorbed. This new form has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier to provide magnesium benefits to the brain. Other forms of magnesium may also provide the same benefits to the brain, but threonate is the only one with some proof. Needs more human clinical studies, which are in progress. This form has a very low magnesium concentration, so you will have to take many pills to get 100% of your daily value.

* Magnesium Lysinate. A well absorbed source of magnesium without laxative effects. The amino acid lysine is an excellent anti-viral.

Tammy

I like pure encapsulations Magnesium glycinate. It's not a cheap brand unfortunately. When I can though.......I pick brands with the fewest if any added ingredients. I use it mainly for muscle tension and calming my nervous system. It helps my sleep sometimes also if I take it about an hr before sleeptime.

Last edited:

ebethc

btw - I've taken Mag Threonate and felt really woozy afterwards and the next day... it crosses the the blood brain barrier and that's either an advantage or a disadvantage... for me it was the latter

lafarfelue

btw - I've taken Mag Threonate and felt really woozy afterwards and the next day... it crosses the the blood brain barrier and that's either an advantage or a disadvantage... for me it was the latter
This is good to know. I just bought some to try out in a few weeks (I'm figuring out some B1 stuff at the moment). I'll be sure to take the threonate before/over a weekend!

ebethc

This is good to know. I just bought some to try out in a few weeks (I'm figuring out some B1 stuff at the moment). I'll be sure to take the threonate before/over a weekend!

also, it's really easy to return supplements to amazon... I don't know why I didn't figure this out earlier, but I've been on a tear lately trying things and just returning them if they don't work! I just went through some older supplements that I have and threw out the expired ones... I counted ~$200 in supplements that I threw out..ugh... can't believe I didn't realize how easy it is to just return them.. No hassles from Amazon at all.. There was one that they gave me a credit for, but all the others were refunded to me..