• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PhD Psychology student creates meme for Journal of Health Psych's special edition on PACE

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
The photo shows a real PhD psychology student slapping a Postdoctoral fellow in psychology. The photo started out at the tail end of different joke that was not about PACE, without any lettering. Then to make a new joke off the old one, Nicholas Fox adds the J. Health Psych and PACE lettering.

This shows that the conversation about JHP and PACE is reaching youngish psychology academics. They are being educated by someone, somehow. I wonder how they learned of it? Was it by a regular news outlets or an academic channel?

Woolie

They heard about it as part of a conversation amongst a group advocating for reforms in psychological methods. In the past, this group has been accused as having a "tone problem", and the joke was that Coyne had outdone them.

Although it sounds like this group might be potentially sympathetic to our concerns, that was not the case in the discussion. One person even suggested that Coyne had gone feral because he'd spent too much time cosying up to "ME activists".

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
They heard about it as part of a conversation amongst a group advocating for reforms in psychological methods. In the past, this group has been accused as having a "tone problem", and the joke was that Coyne had outdone them.

Although it sounds like this group might be potentially sympathetic to our concerns, that was not the case in the discussion. One person even suggested that Coyne had gone feral because he'd spent too much time cosying up to "ME activists".

OK, I found this bit of their conversation and Lou Corsius then gave them the link to the JHP special edition on PACE:

The student who posted the poll (Mack) was then confronted by Coyne, the student apologized and offered to buy Coyne coffee.:love:

Barry53

Well, aside from all the name calling that is grabbing the headlines at the moment, the special issue of JHP itself seems to have got somewhat forgotten. So if this gets young PhD students to actually read at least some of it, then that has to be good.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Well, aside from all the name calling that is grabbing the headlines at the moment, the special issue of JHP itself seems to have got somewhat forgotten. So if this gets young PhD students to actually read at least some of it, then that has to be good.
This is the same thought I had. Some young academics are reading this - that's a very good thing.:nerd:

Esther12

I fear that it's become a bit of a 'drama' that people have even more of a desire to avoid. A lot of these 'campaigning' young researchers seem pretty [what's a non-insulting term like 'limp'?].

Although they can use the language of morality when discussing their concerns about the processess of science, it often seems motivated more by intellectual fashion that a real moral commitment to challenge abuses of power. Maybe I'm being unfair on them, but I don't think that many have the stomach for PACE, even though it's such a worrying example of the problems many of them say they are concerned about.

Actually - if anything, I get the impression that a lot of them would like to improve the processes of science, without thinking of it in terms of 'abuses of power' or 'patients being mistreated'. It can almost be like they'd rather these matters were taking place within an academic bubble, so they didn't have a responsibility to think about the impact on the lives of others. - As you might be able to tell, I can find reading some of the stuff from these people a little frustrating. Maybe my prejudices are getting ahead of me.

lilpink

Woolie

Actually - if anything, I get the impression that a lot of them would like to improve the processes of science, without thinking of it in terms of 'abuses of power' or 'patients being mistreated'. It can almost be like they'd rather these matters were taking place within an academic bubble, so they didn't have a responsibility to think about the impact on the lives of others. - As you might be able to tell, I can find reading some of the stuff from these people a little frustrating. Maybe my prejudices are getting ahead of me
We're all frustrated by it. But the reforms they are proposing are good. Some people really care about science and knowledge and truth, and just because their campaign doesn't (yet) directly benefit us, doesn't mean its not important.

We need people to care about science and knowledge and truth, just as we need people to care about human injustices and supporting the needy and vulnerable. And it works best if these groups aren't made up of exactly the same people.

Rather than criticise their mission, its better to think about what we can be doing to place our concerns within its focus. And I think that would be good scholarship that speaks to the issues of research quality they are concerned about.