• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coenzyme Q10 Plus NADH Supplementation in CFS (Barcelona, Spain)

Dolphin

via https://cfsme-registry.info

The main aim of the study is to examine the effect of oral CoQ10 plus NADH (Reconnect®) supplementation twice daily for 8-weeks on the changes in fatigue perception, sleep disturbances, autonomic dysfunction and HRQoL assessed by patient-reported outcome measures in CFS/ME.

Primary Outcome Measures:
Effect of oral Reconnect ® (CoQ10 plus NADH) supplementation on the changes in core symptoms during 8-weeks in CFS/ME subjects. [ Time Frame: At the beginning (session 2, week 1), intermedium stage (session 3, week 4) and at the close-up of study (session 4, week 8) ]
Evaluate the effect of oral Reconnect ® supplementation on the changes in fatigue perception measured by the Fatigue Index Scale-40 (40 items) in all study participants. Items Rate: 0 (no fatigue) to 4 (severe fatigue).

Secondary Outcome Measures: Demographic data and clinical parameters [ Time Frame: At the beginning (session 2, week 1), intermedium stage (session 3, week 4) and at the close-up of study (session 4, week 8) ]

Age of onset of symptoms [ Time Frame: At the beginning (session 2, week 1), intermedium stage (session 3, week 4) and at the close-up of study (session 4, week 8) ] Age at onset of fatigue

Concomitant conditions [ Time Frame: At the beginning (session 2, week 1), intermedium stage (session 3, week 4) and at the close-up of study (session 4, week 8) ] Comorbid illnesses associated with ME/CFS

Height will be measured and reported [ Time Frame: At the beginning (session 2, week 1), intermedium stage (session 3, week 4) and at the close-up of study (session 4, week 8) ] Height in meters

Weight will be measured and reported [ Time Frame: At the beginning (session 2, week 1), intermedium stage (session 3, week 4) and at the close-up of study (session 4, week 8) ] Weight in kilograms

Body Mass Index (BMI) [ Time Frame: At the beginning (session 2, week 1), intermedium stage (session 3, week 4) and at the close-up of study (session 4, week 8) ] Height and Weight will be combined to report BMI in kg/m^2

Sleep Quality [ Time Frame: At the beginning (session 2, week 1), intermedium stage (session 3, week 4) and at the close-up of study (session 4, week 8) ] Pittsburgh Quality of Sleep Index (18 items) for non-refreshing sleep

Autonomic Function [ Time Frame: At the beginning (session 2, week 1), intermedium stage (session 3, week 4) and at the close-up of study (session 4, week 8) ] COMPASS-31 Questionnaire (31-items) to assess autonomic dysfunction

Heart Rate Variability (HRV) recording device [ Time Frame: At the beginning (session 2, week 1), intermedium stage (session 3, week 4) and at the close-up of study (session 4, week 8) ] Time domain - NN (normal-to-normal R-R interval), HRV index (total number of all NN/ the height of the histogram of all NN), SDNN (standard deviation of the NN), RMSSD (the root mean square of differences of successive NN), NN50 (number of pairs of adjacent NN intervals differing by more than 50 ms in the entire recording) and pNN50(NN50/total number of all NN). Frequency domain - TP (the variance of NN intervals over the temporal segment), VLF(power in very low frequency range; < 0.04 Hz), LF (Power in low frequency range; 0.04~0.15 Hz), HF(Power in high frequency range; 0.15~0.4 Hz).

Health-Related Quality of Life SF36 survey [ Time Frame: At the beginning (session 2, week 1), intermedium stage (session 3, week 4) and at the close-up of study (session 4, week 8) ] Short Form-36 Health Survey (36-items) to measure quality of life of participants.

Actual Study Start Date: June 28, 2017 Estimated Study Completion Date: December 31, 2018 Estimated Primary Completion Date: October 31, 2018 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure) Arms Assigned Interventions Active Comparator: Active supplement (CoQ10 plus NADH) CFS/ME patients will be randomized to evaluate the effect of oral ReConnect supplementation (CoQ10: 200 mg/day plus NADH: 20 mg/day) taking 4 tablets/day during 8-weeks in term.

Detailed Description:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, as known as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is a complex and extremely debilitating chronic condition, with no known cause, no established diagnostic tests, and no universal effective therapy. Its symptoms are mainly unexplained disabling fatigue that lasts for six months or more and that does not improve with rest, worsing with physical and mental activity. It is associated with other concomitant symptoms including muscle pain, post-exertional malaise lasting more than 24h, unrefreshing sleep, autonomic dysfunction and cognitive problems worsing quality of life of sufferers. Previous studies have shown that CFS/ME subjects have a significant decrease in CoQ10 and NADH levels in plasma and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs), correlating with symptoms of the condition. Hypothesis: CoQ10 plus NADH administration could be beneficial in the improvement of outcome measures and molecular parameters in CFS/ME individuals.

A total of 282 potentially eligible Caucasian CFS/ME subjects who meet both the 1994 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Fukuda's definition and 2003 Canadian case criteria for CFS/ME will be initially enrolled in the study. Those patients who don't meet the inclusion criteria will excluded of the study. All participants will be treatment with ReConnect® containing CoQ10 (50 mg) plus NADH (5 mg) vs. placebo twice daily for 8-weeks in term. Scores for fatigue perception, sleep problems, autonomic dysfunction and QoL will be assess by validated questionnaires of Fatigue Impact Scale (FIS-40), Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI), COMPASS-31 and HRV recording device, and HRQoL (36 item Short Form Health survey), respectively.

The primary outcome is to evaluate the efficacy of oral CoQ10 plus NADH (Reconnect®) supplementation twice daily for 8-weeks on the changes in fatigue perception, sleep problems, autonomic dysfunction and health-related quality of life assessed by outcome measures in CFS/ME subjects.

The secondary outcomes are to examine the effect of oral Reconnect® administration on fatigue perception (assessed by FIS-40), sleep disruption (PSQI), autonomic function (COMPASS-31), Heart Rate Variability (HRV) for measuring R-R intervals by mobile device coupled to the Polar H7 thoracic belt and HRQoL (36-items Short Form Health survey).

Eligibility
Ages Eligible for Study: 18 Years to 65 Years (Adult)
Sexes Eligible for Study: Female
Gender Based Eligibility: Yes
Accepts Healthy Volunteers: No

Inclusion Criteria:
  • Patients female between 18 and 65 years old.
  • Body Mass Index (BMI) ≤ 30 mg/m²
  • Subjects who met the 1994 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Fukuda definition and 2003 Canadian diagnostic criteria for CFS/ME.
  • Patients must be able to participate, understand and complete questionnaires in Spanish language.
  • Patients who give a signed informed consent before initiating the study.
Exclusion Criteria:
  • Patients who do not fulfilled the 1994 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Fukuda definition and 2003 Canadian criteria for CFS/ME.
  • Patients who are participating in another clinical trial of the same or different nature in the last 30 days prior to inclusion.
  • Any participants who, in the opinion of the principal investigator, may not be able to follow instructions or make a good treatment compliance.
  • Subjects that don't give signed informed consent to participate in the study.
  • Participants who are receiving any drug or banned substances and is expected that withdrawal of some medications/products not allowed in the study involves a significant problem.
  • Participants who are pregnant and/or breastfeeding,
  • Participants with autoimmune disorder, cancer, endocrine and metabolic disorders, rheumatic conditions, multiple sclerosis, psychosis, major depression, cardiovascular disease, hematological conditions, use of oral anticoagulants, smokers or had a history of substance abuse.
Contacts
Contact: Jesus Castro, PhD +34 93 4893000 ext 4927 jesus.castro@vhir.org
Contact: Maria J. Segundo, PhD +34 667662374 msegundo@vitae.es

Locations: Spain Vall d'Hebron University Hospital Barcelona, Spain, 08035
Contact: Jose Alegre, MD; PhD +34 934893000 ext 4927 jalegre@vhebron.net
Contact: Jesus Castro, PhD +34 934893000 ext 4927 jesus.castro@vhir.org
Sponsors and Collaborators
Hospital Universitari Vall d'Hebron Research Institute
VITAE NATURAL NUTRITION, S.L.

bombsh3ll

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with this particular combo? If so what doses did you take?

Learner1

I've taken up to 400mg of CoQ10, but currently take 200mg. At the mitochondrial disease conference I went to last year, some mito disease patients were on up to 24g.

I use Enada sublingual NADH. I take 10-20mg before exercise or do something hard. A reputable source told me it doesn't get digested and into us properly so sublingual is best. I feel a burst of energy after I take it.

I also take 10mg of d-ribose and 800mg of magnesium malate daily. And acetyl-l and l-carnitine.

https://heartmdinstitute.com/diet-nutrition/the-awesome-foursome/

On the NADH, there's a product called Niagen (or Niacel) that has a lot of buzz. Its nicotinamide riboside. I tried large and small doses and it did nothing for me, while the NADH helped. A healthy friend tried the NADH and said it did nothing, but she thinks the Niacel helps her. It seems there are different pathways, the NADH is more direct...she didn't feel it because she didn't need it, where I do, and don't seem to be able to make energy from the Niacel.

Last edited:

Wonko

"(CoQ10: 200 mg/day plus NADH: 20 mg/day) taking 4 tablets/day during 8-weeks in term. " - so is that 800mg of CoQ10 and 80mg of NADH a day then?

bombsh3ll

I've taken up to 400mg of CoQ10, but currently take 200mg. At the mitochondrial disease conference I went to last year, some mito disease patients were on up to 24g.

I use Enada sublingual NADH. I take 10-20mg before exercise or do something hard. A reputable source told me it doesn't get digested and into us properly so sublingual is best. I feel a burst of energy after I take it.

I also take 10mg of d-ribose and 800mg of magnesium malate daily. And acetyl-l and l-carnitine.

https://heartmdinstitute.com/diet-nutrition/the-awesome-foursome/

Already on magnesium here too - keeps my bowels regular if nothing else! Getting to the end of a bag of d-ribose - no noticeable benefits so will not reorder.

I do have a bottle of CoQ10 in the cupboard - took briefly, no noticeable effects but stopped as intended to go on statin for high cholesterol so saving it to take alongside this as statins deplete it. Now decided against statin, think I will give the CoQ10 another go.

NADH added to my list of things to try - do you think the combination in this study work synergistically or can be of individual value?

NotThisGuy

@Learner1
So when I took oxidized Q10 in the past that pretty much screwed me up, it might have used up all my NADH and FAD?
I also found a source that Complex V uses ALA.
My ALA levels are very low, but I still didnt find out how bad this really is and if it is really the great limiting factor...
Any ideas?

Attachments

• krebs-cycle-diagram.jpg
    krebs-cycle-diagram.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 24

Learner1

I take PolyMVA, by IV and oral. I just finished an IV and went from groggy and thick headed to clear heads and functional.

Xymogen ALAmax is good, too. It has biotin which is needed with ALA.