• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

While recovering from surgery fatigue I got SS

2,5 weeks ago I had surgery and was
anesthetized for about 2 hours. Been feeling extremely fatigued since then. 2 days ago I got serotonin syndrome from my Lexapro and flaxseed oil and now I'm even more tired. I still experience some anxiety and especially when I eat, even though I eat a diet for low serotonin for the SS recovery.

I've always been the worrying kind, and I'm wondering if it's possible I could've destroyed the surgery recovery permanently by getting this mild to moderate SS. I fear that's the case, since you're supposed to rest and heal from extreme stress and not cause even more stress on the body. If anyone has any idea I'd appreciate if you could share it, just be honest please. Thanks.

Last edited:

TenuousGrip

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. I've had serotonin syndrome before (and almost too many surgeries to count on both hands). In fact, a number of docs are recommending I fly half-way across the country for a major heart surgery ... right now.

These are horrible decisions that we have to make with no clear, right answer.

As to the stress .... what are your go-to's when you're wound up so tightly ? What have you done that you can currently do to ground yourself ?

Just to list a few examples .... gardening, meditation, prayer, soft music with a slow beat, reading, movies, warm baths, light housework, stretching .... things like that.

I wish you peace, health, and strength.

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. I've had serotonin syndrome before (and almost too many surgeries to count on both hands). In fact, a number of docs are recommending I fly half-way across the country for a major heart surgery ... right now.

These are horrible decisions that we have to make with no clear, right answer.

As to the stress .... what are your go-to's when you're wound up so tightly ? What have you done that you can currently do to ground yourself ?

Just to list a few examples .... gardening, meditation, prayer, soft music with a slow beat, reading, movies, warm baths, light housework, stretching .... things like that.

I wish you peace, health, and strength.
Before the serotonin syndrome I used to meditate and relax a lot and I felt that it started to help with the fatigue, but it's literally impossible atm due to the anxiety from the serotonin syndrome. As soon as it gets better I'll start meditating again. I like to watch TV shows but it's pretty hard atm as well, can't focus for long (another symptom). Thank you for the kind words and I wish you luck if you do decide to go for the heart surgery.