• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE Trial and PACE Trial Protocol

wdb

I was the one who raised the issue of expectations management and the nocebo effect vs. placebo effect, especially when outcomes are being measured by subjective self reports.

It's very clear that in PACE, there was not even an attempt at objectivity in how the different treatments were presented to the patients. The CBT and GET arms were told that they could get better and that the therapy would help them do so; the APT people were told that there was nothing that could be done to cure their disease, but that by living within their limits they "might" create the conditions for "natural recovery" to occur. (We all know how good it feels waiting around for that to happen...), versus being told repeatedly that the therapy being given is going to improve you, and that you can improve your health via your own efforts. There was no comparable "Is this a cure? Be honest, the answer is no" statement in the CBT and GET manuals, as there was in the APT manual.

I really don't understand why this alone doesn't get the whole study discredited on ethical grounds.

I completely agree, I don't understand why the majority of the criticisms of the trial do not mention this.
For a trial that is measured on subjective patient reports there seems an outrageous amount of coaching of the patients in exactly what effects they should expect to report.

Describing one treatment as

in previous research studies most people with CFS/ME felt either 'much better' or 'very much better'

and another as

can improve coping and provide the conditions for natural recovery but in itself does not fundamentally change the course of the disease.

would seem to be enough to explain most of the difference in scores.

Dolphin

I completely agree, I don't understand why the majority of the criticisms of the trial do not mention this.
For a trial that is measured on subjective patient reports there seems an outrageous amount of coaching of the patients in exactly what effects they should expect to report.

in previous research studies most people with CFS/ME felt either 'much better' or 'very much better'

and another as

can improve coping and provide the conditions for natural recovery but in itself does not fundamentally change the course of the disease.

would seem to be enough to explain most of the difference in scores.
One of the practical problems with quoting bits in Letters to the Lancet was quotes took up quite a bit of words. 250 words can go rather quickly - one can't develop many points with it. Also a lot of people haven't read the manuals. But I agree that it is a good point worth raising and I hope one or more letters that went in did make this point.

Sean

I think it could be ethically challenged on that claim alone.

oceanblue

and another as

Do you have a link to these quotes? I'm assuming they're from the manual but haven't ploughed through them myself.

wdb

Do you have a link to these quotes? I'm assuming they're from the manual but haven't ploughed through them myself.

Yes, straight from the manuals

in previous research studies most people with CFS/ME felt either 'much better' or 'very much better' - in bold on page 28 of the GET patients manual

can improve coping and provide the conditions for natural recovery but in itself does not fundamentally change the course of the disease - page 5 of the APT patients manual

oceanblue

Yes, straight from the manuals

in previous research studies most people with CFS/ME felt either 'much better' or 'very much better' - in bold on page 28 of the GET patients manual

can improve coping and provide the conditions for natural recovery but in itself does not fundamentally change the course of the disease - page 5 of the APT patients manual
Thanks for that

oceanblue

@WillowJ

Adapted Pacing Therapy Therapists Manual Page 42 -
"Is this a cure?
Be honest, the answer is no"

You're right to raise the ambiguities though. In places APT looks like a nocebo, in other places it looks more positive.
Now that I've looked through both therapist and participant manuals, I think this has been a bit overblown, though as Esther12 says, there are ambiguities. First, that 'is there a cure?" quote in full, from the FAQ section for therapists:
...p42
Frequently Asked Questions, comments and issues

There are a number of questions that participants may ask during treatment.
Below are a number of those potential questions and the possible responses
you could consider to bring the person back to the APT model:

Is this a cure?
> Be honest, the answer is no
> Aim of APT to enable/ facilitate a natural recovery response

> lt's strategy to balance activity and rest, avoiding symptom
exacerbation whilst achieving as much as possible within limited
energy
> Aids natural recovery
> Recovery is achieved by balancing rest and activity within an energy
envelope
I still think they should not have given such a blunt answer but it's only used if the participant asks (nb not anywhere in the participants manual, as far as I can see). Overall the approach elsewhere seems more balanced and generally positive. Here are the relevant quotes on recovery from the participants manuals.

The limit increases with recovery but cannot be increased by increasing activity.
The underlying idea is that if people with CFS/ME use their energy wisely,
their limited energy will increase gradually. You will then be able to do more.
Pacing can improve coping and provide the conditions for natural recovery but
in itself activity does not fundamentally change the course of the disease.

that last sentence seems to face both ways at once.

...p8
Increasing as able
This form of pacing does not imply that the person with CFS/ME must
permanently remain at a fixed activity level. As natural recovery occurs you
may find that you may feel able to increase activity if the envelope increases
in size. When such recovery occurs you will need to establish a new baseline.
Activity is not increased in order to push the envelope but rather follows
natural recovery. However, appropriate aims and priorities can be set and
then built up as tolerance increases.

...p66
A number of quotes to assist with explanation of "increasing as able".
Balancing activity
"About managing illness gaining level of management/balance where can
have maximum quality of life with minimum output energy regaining normal
activity on graduated levels over period of time hopefully (or at least optimum)
It's mainly about warning balance!! Not too much, not too little"
As in the FAQ, they seem to be saying there is no cure (as in some external treatment like a magic bullet), but you can nevertheless recover.

I do think that PACE's APT is fundamentally flawed* but I'm not sure it's due to a strong nocebo effect. 'There's no cure but natural recovery is possible' strikes me as a pretty reasonable position, partiucarly for a group of patients who have only been ill for a few years.

*it's the sticking to a '70% limit' of perceived energy that dooms APT to failure, in my view.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Now suppose you were told this at the beginning of a twelve month period, and at the end of it, while you may have avoided crashes, you have sensed no "natural recovery." Wouldn't you feel that you have been sold a bill of goods?

(Always remembering that a sizable portion of this cohort in fact probably had primary depression, for whom this particular line of treatment would have been disastrous.)

And recalling that this study was designed to "test" (=discredit) patient organizations' claims that pacing is the best intervention they have found to reduce crashes and symptom levels. Do patients among themselves tell each other that pacing will bring about "natural recovery"?

Do the designers of the PACE protocol themselves *believe* in this natural recovery? Of course not, because they believe that ME is a cycle of fear of activity and deconditioning, and that pacing will only perpetuate the disease. Where did they get this idea about "natural recovery" anyway?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I think one of the problems with APT is that they really jerk the patients around in terms of expectations. (and I agree with Oceanblue that, while there's a difference between what patients are told in the CBT/GET groups and the APT group in terms of recovery, the gap isn't a total gap; the APT group is told they will recover--they just are given inconsistent messages)

They first tell the patient (wwll, that isn't in the patient manual, but it is in the therapist manual and I assume they are to communicate this to the patient because they are continually told to remind the patient of the theory of pacing) that the theory of pacing is that CFS/ME is caused by a completely mysterious disease process which doctors are unable to test for (translation: it's all in your pretty little head, but we aren't going to be so rude as to tell you that directly OR it's martian-level science which won't be solved in your lifetime... up to you which you want to believe, BUT either way, don't expect any help from a physician).

Next they hand out a nifty pyramid diagram which basically implies that the cause of debility is the boom-bust cycle (it's not a mysterious disease process--it's your bad coping skills, but we aren't going to tell you that either because then we'd be impinging on CBT territory), and if you can regularize your activity (now they're impinging on GET) and avoid overactivity, the result WILL be empowerment and recovery. However they define recovery as a reduction in symptoms.

The essence of pacing is that the person with CFS/ME uses self-management of their level of activity in order to avoid exacerbations of symptoms and disability (AfME 2002).
we can avoid disability? wow

This form of pacing does not imply that the person with CFS/ME must permanently remain at fixed activity level. As natural recovery occurs you may find that you may feel able to increase activity--if the envelope increases in size. When such recovery occurs you will need to establish a new baseline. Activity is not increased in order to "push the envelope" but rather follows natural recovery. However, appropriate aims and priorities can be set and then built up as tolerance increases.

Next they are told, rather than a mysterious biological cause, stress and overbreathing actually cause some of the symtoms of CFS/ME. (Again they impinge in CBT.) Next lack of sleep hygeine.

Other sorts of contradictions:
Sit when ever possible. A stool is a good alternative to sitting or standing.

If the goal here is to conserve energy, why is a stool better than sitting in a chair?

Sitting for relaxation or rest
o Keep legs supported
o Do not fully recline

I don't think there's an actual ergonomic reason for not reclining, so why is it there?

Jenny

Here's a blog article on The Psychologist website (The British Psychological Society)...
It's, surprisingly, quite a balanced and informed article, especially compared to the recent newspaper articles...
There's a couple of errors or contradictions that I've noticed, esp re pacing/APT and re depression/anxiety...
There's a helpful facility for comments.

Fatigue evidence gathers PACE

http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/blog/11/blogpost.cfm?threadid=1947&catid=48

This article is in print form now in the April issue of The Psychologist. I'm going to try to write a letter in response. They publish quite long letters so it's worth a go.

Also, it would be worth thinking about submitting an academic article to this journal. Articles can be shorter than those in most journals. The Psychologist has a very large readership compared to most academic publications - over 40,000.

Guidelines for submitting are here:

http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/contribute/how.cfm

I think you have to be a psychologist to submit a paper.

If anyone would like to collaborate with me to submit something, let me know. Before I had to give up work I was an academic psychologist and journal editor.

Jenny

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Reply to thread post range 601-630

ancientdaze, I think you may be making some good points, but I'm afraid I lack the experience to fully comprehend them and put them to practical use on the PACE trial.

Some good points there. Again, I agree the phrasing of CBT and GET vs APT is a significant enough problem for the PACE trial, since being a psychological study using subjective questionnaires and aimed at changing patients' perceptions and beliefs.

If PACE really wanted to adequately test the "pathological model of ME" (as they claim they do in the APT arm), they shouldn't have used such a highly selective process that went to great lengths to exclude anyone with potential pathology or symptoms from the CCC which White simply doesn't like. 80% of candidates were excluded from the trial (admittedly, some of those refused). What they were really testing was the psychological effects of the "pathological model of ME" on people they believe have "abnormal illness beliefs", certainly not a CCC-like "pathological model of ME". White et al have never agreed with pacing, and APT itself was a classic strawman argument used to discredit a position that the ME/CFS community doesn't hold.

Marco wrote: Equating 'normal' functioning as being that of a 65+ year old is a fairly damning thing to highlight.

Indeed. On average the CBT and GET groups scored about the same as the 75-84yrs age group in Bowling et al. How they defined and calculated "normal" physical functioning was one of the more severe and obvious blunders made by the authors. Except a blunder is defined as "an embarrassing mistake" and this was not a mistake and the authors aren't going to be embarrassed when they are receiving funding and praise. For anyone willing to look beneath the gloss as we have been doing, it's bad enough to cast doubt on them as researchers, and no one except the ME/CFS community has noticed or cared.

What this shows us is that it's OK in mainstream academia to publish inappropriate definitions of "normal" which are clearly abnormal. As far as I am concerned, the reputation of the Lancet is in question over letting that through, along with the editorial confusing the original protocol's definitions of "positive outcome" and "recovery" with the relaxed definitions of "improvements" and "normal". And that's what happens when the Lancet doesn't bother to peer-review its editorials, factual errors escape through into print for the world to read.

oceanblue wrote:

Apparently comment pieces are not normally peer reviewed. I think B&K made a genuine mistake, which goes to show how deceptive PACE were.

In fact, Knoop did a study on recovery which appears to be the origin of the 'within 1 SD of the mean' formula. However, this study explicitly applied the forumla to a healthy population defined as general pop excluding those who reported a long-term health issue. This gave a reasonable SF36 threshold of 80. B&K assumed PACE did the same thing, but PACE just used a general population, including the sick, giving a threshold of 60. Sneaky, eh?

In case you think it was a simple 'mistake' by PACE to use the wrong population, it wasn't: Peter White co-authored that Knoop study which had explicity used a healthy population.

[Dolphin on Bleijenberg & Knoop's work using PF/SF-36, and "I don't think they can be given the benefit of the doubt here."]

So it seems that the only plausible explanations are: B&K didn't even bother to read the PACE Lancet paper close enough to notice PACE pulling the old switcheroo, or, basically they lied. That's pretty damning either way. It encourages me to distrust them, and the Lancet.

oceanblue wrote:

Problem with self-reports acknowledged in a CBT study on MS

"An additional limitation was that outcome assessment in this study depended on self-rated outcome measures. No objective measures exist for subjectively experienced fatigue, so we chose reproducible measures that are sensitive to change. However, self-reports are amenable to response bias and social desirability effects. Future studies could also assess more objective measures of change such as increases in activity levels and sleep/wake patterns using actigraphs or mental fatigue using reaction time tasks."

How refreshingly honest.

from A Randomized Controlled Trial of Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Multiple Sclerosis Fatigue http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/content/abstract/70/2/205

I think they are forced to be more "honest" in established diseases. CFS is more of a free for all. Anything that is "subjective" is more susceptible to spin and post-modernist interpretations.

Angela Kennedy wrote:

Problem is, devil is the detail (or lack of thereof).

If we take as given (as i think we should, at least when considering this issue - think even of Peter White's dept denying that bowel problems are part of 'CFS/ME' in the NICE guidelines comments, for example), then these authors are ignoring neurological ME-related problems (they don't believe in the ME with neurological features, Canadian defined ME etc.).

Caveat about the efficient process of exclusion of neurological ME patients not withstanding, IF ANY actual ME (or other misdiagnosed 'fatigue') patients were in the mix, increase in disability might well be a result of 'treatment' upon abnormal response to increasing exertion etc.

This is fact goes to the crux of the matter. They are blanket-claiming CBT/GET as safe for people with (even neurological) ME, against the evidence it is contraindicated (which they don't adequately address, of course).

Adverse outcome details should have been made explicit, and just writing vague descriptions like these, and then saying something like "independent investigators thought they were nothing to do with our treatment" which is basically what they've done, is really not good enough, and should have been picked up at peer review.

My impression was that the GET group had a "safety net" from severe exacerbations because they were very cautious and while participants were encouraged to increase activity on a regular basis if possible they were not forced to do so, so it was possible to remain in the GET group at 52 weeks without any actual increases in activity whatsoever since we are not told how many patients managed to increase their activity levels overall. As you and others have implied, the data on adverse effects has also been obscured and may be worth investigating in more detail.

Marco wrote: SF-36 : Norms, skewness and 'top box' scores in a surgical population. http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/142/5/473.pdf

Thanks, that will be useful.

Dolphin wrote: Yes, no statistical difference in the percentages made worse by GET who did it under an "NHS specialists" (111/355=31.27%) vs any other situation (70/212=33.02%): see slide 9 at:

http://afme.wordpress.com/5-treatments-and-symptoms/

Thanks for that.

oceanblue wrote: "So the net effect of CBT or GET, after 1 year, was to move particpants from around the bottom 13% of SF-36 scores to around the bottom 15%." Dolphin responded: "Excellent way of putting it. (And that's giving them

58 as the 15th percentile of the adult population - I'd say it could be a bit lower based on figures I've seen)."

That sounds about right, 58 or 60/100 points was roughly the 15th percentile for the general population in Bowling et al, which includes the diseased and elderly. Wouldn't be surprised if it is more like 5% percentile for a healthy age-matched control group. And because of the skewed distribution we have the odd situation where roughly 75% of the population are scoring above the average! 60 may be the 15th percentile but 85 is still only (roughly) the 25th percentile, a figure White et al used to help define a full recovery but omitted from the PACE trial results.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Reply to thread post range 631-660

biophile wrote: I agree. 28% of the GET group reported feeling "much better or very much better".

Dolphin responded: If I can nit-pick for a moment. The 28% related to those with SF-36 PF scores of >=60 and Chalder Fatigue Questionnaire scores of >=18.

Yes, my mistake, I must have confused the outcomes.

Dolphin wrote: I am a bit confused by what you are saying here? If you are saying that any side-effects from the test would have been picked up in "non-serious adverse events", "serious adverse events", "serious adverse reactions" etc., I'm not sure that is correct for the 52 week test which was at the end of the trial.

Good point. Now I wonder if adverse effects from the 6MWT would have been ignored even at 0 weeks.

biophile wrote: Do you mean that the SD is low because of the cut-off points skew the distribution?

Dolphin responded: I mean because they are entry criteria. Take for example weights of adult females in the population - they would have a fairly wide spread. Then say for a trial one only wants adult females who are 8 stone or less (8 stone = 112lbs = 50.8 Kg). If one says that half of 1SD is sufficient for a clinical meaningful result (for some regime that increases weight?), this might be quite a small amount because they're already bunched together.

Thanks.

[Dolphin and oceanblue on the double standards with CBT caveats and definitions of "normal" when researched in different conditions]

Researchers who assume CFS is largely a psychosocial deviancy involving a faulty perception of functional symptoms, I don't think they would be concerned much about response bias and "social desirability effects" in self-reports, along the lines of "as long as we can get these patients believing and behaving as if they were healthy then they effectively are so why worry".

oceanblue wrote: Very interesting to see a mean and SD for a healthy population. This MS study is another using a healthy population for reference; there really doesn't seem to be a precedent for PACE to use a general population.

Was interesting to see how they derive "normal" values for CFS vs other conditions, the suspicion of spin keeps growing when we see such obvious double standards. I was surprised to see that CBT seems to be a lot more effective at reducing fatigue in MS than CFS. Apparently so was Marco: "Doesn't this tell you everything you need to know about how CBT 'cures' fatigue? [...] Unless CBT miraculously produced physiological changes making participants healthier than healthy controls?". What it tells me is response bias is a major problem in psychological research and that the "fatigue" in CFS is different than in MS, which of course involves other disabling signs and symptoms.

oceanblue wrote: According to Figure 1, only 33 people were excluded (5% of total recruits) on entry criteria of bimodal CFQ<6, as opposed to over 300 for SF36>65 (50% of total recruits). So potentially that's a very big effect on SD for SF36. On top of this is the exclusion of those too ill to participate which probably has a huge effect (though maybe not for CFQ as the ceiling effect means most of those excluded as too ill would have scored max of 33 anyway).

I agree with your argument but when I looked at Figure 1 of PACE I arrived at n=251 for PF/SF-36 >65 exclusions.

ancientdaze wrote: [...] How long does it take energy released at the center of the Sun to reach the surface we see? On the order of one million years.

But according to White, treatment shouldn't take years to work!

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Reply to thread post range 661-690

This was good.

oceanblue wrote:

GET is based on the theory that CFS is perpetuated by physical deconditioning and the only outcome of physical condition is the 6MWT. I've already posted that the improvement in 6MWT for GET (relative to SMC control) is below the 'clinically useful difference' (CUD) threshold of 0.5 baseline SD.

However, the CUD measure was only specificed by the authors for the primary outcomes of fatigue and physical function. So instead I've looked at the 6MWT test with a generic measure of effect, called Cohen's d, that is widely used to compare medical studies, in meta-analyses in particular. In other words it's perfectly appropriate to apply this measure to 6MWT.

The Cohen's d for GET 6MWT is 0.34, and crucially that ranks as a small effect (which is consistent with the the increase not making a 'clinically useful difference').

This means that GET, a therapy based on treating a perceived physical deconditioning makes only a small difference to physical condition after one year. Which in turn suggests that a) the therapy isn't much good and b) the deconditioning theory it's based on is probably wrong too.

Great idea! The authors defended the 6MWT as "objective", and now they should live with the result. As oceanblue points out, GET compared to SMC does not even meet their own definition of a "clinically meaningful" improvement (+0.5SD). No group average hit the 400m mark while most comparable healthy people will score about 600-650m on average. The 6MWD values for all the PACE groups including the GET group at 52 weeks are similar to a wide range of serious medical conditions.

I wonder how many of the 15% of SMC participants and 28% of GET participants who reported "normal" fatigue and physical functioning (which we now know were still abnormal) also scored a more normal 6WMD of 600-650m? Instead we get this: "6-min walking distances were greater after GET than they were APT and SMC, but were no different after CBT compared with APT and SMC. [...] The objective walking test favoured GET over CBT, whereas CBT provided the largest reduction in depression."

Dolphin wrote:

Velanovich V. | Behavior and analysis of 36-item Short-Form Health Survey data for surgical quality-of-life research. | Arch Surg. 2007 May;142(5):473-7; discussion 478. http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/142/5/473

Anyway Table 2 gives the figures for the US general population: 38% have a score of 100 on the physical functioning subscale (I wonder is the data out there for people of a working age). He was suggesting 100 could be used.

Also, not sure if the figure was given earlier but for the US general population (including very old people), this paper says the mean (SD) is 84.15 (23.28) which again makes one doubt the figures that the PACE Trial paper gave for the working age population.

So now we have a possibility that White et al used the wrong data? Not surprising when they didn't bother to use the appropriate age group either.

ancientdaze wrote: There was never any doubt in my mind the physical activity scale was not intended to rank athletes. It is strictly to measure health, and shortcomings from health. This means scores are cut off at 100. The distribution is one-sided.

ancientdaze wrote: Naively calculating means in the observed measure when a distribution demonstrates extreme departure from Gaussian behavior produces nonsense. When a distribution lacks symmetry, (is heavily skewed) shifts in apparent mean will be a necessary consequence of changes in variance.

Excellent points. It is quite revealing that the PACE authors didn't bother to take this into consideration. Incompetence, or spin? Again, pretty damning either way.

oceanblue asked: High level of consent refusal [...] These figures seem pretty high to me. thoughts, anyone?

I'd guess that some patients simply didn't want to get involved. However, being a relatively new bunch it is hard to say what they knew about CFS at the time of their invitation and we are not given reasons for refusal, "new" patients may be more "open" to biopsychosocial explanations, I doubt many long-term patients would sign up to CBT/GET research after having already been scorned by the biopsychosocial approach.

[oceanblue on the unusual overlap between Oxford 1991 vs 2003 recommendations for Fukuda "international criteria" subgroup]

Good points. If they modified the London ME criteria and then claimed their results apply to all ME, I wouldn't be surprised if they did something similar to the "international (CFS) criteria" to claim their results apply to all CFS around the world.

[oceanblue: Specialist Medical Care - includes quite a bit of pacing advice?]

I agree.

[Recovery rates according to the original protocol - estimates]

Interesting.

WillowJ asks: "How much difference is there between the CBT and GET ("this will cure you"?) and the APT "this is not a cure but will create the best conditions for a possible natural recovery" themes?"

Good question. I'd guess that the difference of suggestion is between "this WILL happen QUICKLY" vs "this MAY happen GRADUALLY".

The authors can always argue that CBT/GET aren't very effective because the patient has not managed to successfully challenge their abnormal illness beliefs. Afterall, CBT is not a silver bullet for any psychiatric diagnosis.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
true that CBT is not a silver bullet for any psychiatric diagnosis. however the working model of the wessely school crowd is that cfs is not even equivalent to a psychiatric illness. an abnormal illness belief is a delusion, not an actual illness like a standard psychiatric illness.

of course they have so much doublespeak they are likely to claim in the self-same paper that (a) cfs is hysteria and (b) it would be awful for anyone to say cfs is somehow not real, but even whilst arguing the latter point the best they can do is compare cfs to the disordered self-assessment of anorexia nervosa. [this is not to suggest that anorexia nervosa is somehow not real, not serious, or not devastating, because it is all of those, but it does include an element of incorrect self-assessment, which is simply not the case in me/cfs (except for the part where the PWME is likely to overestimate her or his ability), but the point here is that cfs is not an inability to determine when one's self is truly ill and in fact disabled, which is what the psychobabblers are suggesting]

For a hysteria, claim (a), CBT should work just fine and ought to be a silver bullet

the fact that it is not a silver bullet calls their model into serious question, doublespeak and all--inability to determine when self is ill and disabled should also be readily correctable through CBT, supposing social support is provided which was ostensibly done in this particular trial, at least at a surface level (my contention is that this support is hypocritical since it involves actually disbelieving the patient while providing verbal support).

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
They cannot claim that the CBT model works, unless they have objective measures of behavioural changes, specifically actometer measurements.
Otherwise the change is merely 'cognitive', and potentially due to inflated self-efficacy and potentially due to 'response bias'. You could say that the patients didn't want to feel that they had wasted their time, as well as the time of those who provided the treatment and thus were likely to report subjective improvements on questionnaires. Hence the minimal effect shown on 5 year follow-ups.

oceanblue

Great idea! When I used online calculators to input the mean and SD values for SMC and GET into the equation I kept arriving at about d=0.30 which is a little worse.
Could you clarify how you did this and maybe give links to your online calculator. I used a pooled SD (combining SD of both SMC and GET) to get my figure of 0.34 but I'm not sure if I did this the right way. [ps the SF36>65 figure should indeed by 251, no idea where I got my figure from.]
The authors can always argue that CBT/GET aren't very effective because the patient has not managed to successfully challenge their abnormal illness beliefs. Afterall, CBT is not a silver bullet for any psychiatric diagnosis.
CBT is very effective for some psychological disorders eg it has a large effect on generalised anxiety, PTSD and Depression (see this review of meta-analyses). Given this, the fact that they have clearly identified 'flawed thoughts', CBT is supposed to be good a tackling such flawed thinking and they've had 20 years to optimise their treatment I don't think they can realistically blame the patient.

Also, the high levels of patient statisfaction (82%) and strong therapeutic alliance (independently rated as 6.5/7) for PACE CBT suggests the therapy was implemented effectively; it's failure indicates a problem with the underlying biopsychosocial model.

Sean

The authors can always argue that CBT/GET aren't very effective because the patient has not managed to successfully challenge their abnormal illness beliefs.

As I recall both Prins and Chalder have made that assertion, and no doubt others have too in one form or other.

Of course, such an explanation is totally unfalsifiable. No matter how much CBT doesn't work, they can just keep saying you are not trying hard enough, which is a particularly nasty assertion as it can never be proved or disproved, leaving patients at the mercy of the subjective opinion of the vested interest ridden 'expert'.

The fact that they have to resort to such blatantly self-serving pseudo-science to defend their model is powerful ammunition against it, and they should be questioned vigourously about that whenever possible, without mercy.

It is just the establishment version of the same poisonous double-bind loaded drivel found in that New Age fraud The Secret.

...they've had 20 years to optimise their treatment I don't think they can realistically blame the patient.

Exactly. Quite the opposite, as I am sure you will agree.