• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Staph vaccine to treat CFS??

Hip

I don't know if it is the long time spent in transit or the switch to the adsorbed form of the vaccine but there wasn't much of an immediate effect.

It takes a while for the vaccine to start having an effect, so if you have stopped the vaccine and restarted, it might take some time for the benefits kick in. Benefits can begin to appear after as little as 2 weeks, but in other patients it can take several months for the benefits to appear.

So, I just started the treatment and thought I would give some updates. Did the first injection last night and so far no rash. I woke up this morning with probably the most restful sleep I have had in years. I then crashed after taking the vitamin combination I do every day along with breakfast. Hoping to have more short updates as time goes on.

patient.journey

hi

where do you order it from ? and what it is the product name ?
i have read that the vaccine they used before was stopped ? is there any other options ?
does it work ? and how exactly is it working ?

regards

Abha

Abha
Staphypan, the original vaccine used by Professor Gottfries in Sweden, is no longer available. This Russian vaccine is similar, containing the same alpha toxoid ingredient as Staphypan.
Hi Hip

You mentioned somewhere that you were going to start a new thread on this topic.Have you done that? Also how is your vaccine treatment progressing.Thanks...

Hip

Prof Gottfries's Staphylococcus Vaccine Treatment for ME/CFS

In the 1950s in Sweden, Prof Gottfries was hit with ME/CFS during the Asian flu pandemic. A few years later he started experimenting with bacterial vaccines, and found if he injected a Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine called Staphypan, it dramatically improved his ME/CFS. He found he remained in near remission from his ME/CFS provided he repeated the Staphypan injection once every month.

Prof Gottfries told other ME/CFS patients about his discovery, and lots of patients in Sweden also found this treatment worked for them. Decades later, Gottfries published some clinical trials showing the efficacy of Staphypan for ME/CFS.

Then in 2005, the manufacturer stopped making Staphypan. No replacement could be found, so Swedish ME/CFS patients who had been in remission from ME/CFS became ill again (except for Prof Gottfries and a few others who stockpiled a lifetime's supply of Staphypan in their fridge).

When I read about this Staphylococcus vaccine treatment, I spent many months Google searching in multiple languages to try to find a similar Staphylococcus vaccine made somewhere in the world. Eventually in 2015 I came across this Russian Staphylococcus alpha toxoid vaccine manufactured by Medgamal.

It took some time to get hold of, but when I finally did get my hands on it, I found that I went into near remission for about 7 to 10 days each time I injected it. So it seemed to be working for me.

I also told Prof Gottfries about this Russian vaccine, and he then got special permission from the Swedish authorities to import and test it. As a test, he started using the Russian vaccine instead of his usual Staphypan. From his observations, he told me that he thinks Russian vaccine works for ME/CFS, but that its benefits are weaker than those of Staphypan.

In my case, I got near remission and this incredible mental clarity and energy on two occasions after injecting the vaccine; but then when it came to the third occasion, it unfortunately stopped working for me. I tried it again many times, but I could not get it to work anymore.

Of course, ME/CFS patients know it is not unusual for an effective treatment to mysteriously stop working (just look at Abilify for example). So although it stopped working for me, it may continue to work indefinitely for other ME/CFS patients. So that's why it may be worth trying it.

My Experience With the Russian Staphylococcus Vaccine

When I tried it, the Russian Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine produced very substantial improvements in my ME/CFS, particularly in my brain fog. After injecting the vaccine my mind became so incredibly clear that not only was I able to return to software programming, I was also able to teach myself a new computer language (PHP) that I did not know before, and commence a complex coding project in that language. The joy of being able to do some software coding was amazing! Normally my brain fog completely prevents complex tasks such as computer programming.

But for some reason these benefits disappeared after around 3 weeks, even though I continued to take full 1 ml doses of the vaccine once every 10 days. But it may be that I need to take the vaccine for longer. In Gottfries's clinical trials of the vaccine, it would take up to a few months for the benefits to manifest (and in some cases up to 6 months).

However I had to halt my tests as the vaccine started triggering some mental health side effects each time I took it (these side effects only last for a day or two after each injection, but are unpleasant). Though I am prone to developing mental health side effects from various drugs and supplements, so I think this is just an idiosyncratic issue that will not occur in other ME/CFS patients.

After I told him about it, Prof Gottfries also tried the Russian Staphylococcus vaccine for a few months, comparing it to the original Staphypan (which he has a stockpiled). He found that the Russian vaccine was not quite as effective as Staphypan. He said in an email:

"Is it as good as Staphypan? Still I don't dare to give a clear answer. I am still working four days a week in spite of my age (89 years) but I feel more tired than I used to."

So it seems Staphypan is not quite as potent as Staphypan, but nevertheless can still allow ME/CFS patients to work when they otherwise would not be able to. I also found that the benefits of the vaccine lasted for around 7 to 10 days, whereas Gottfries finds with Staphypan, the positive effects last for 3 or 4 weeks.

Russian Staphylococcus Alpha Toxoid Adsorbed Vaccine

Russian Staphylococcus toxoid adsorbed vaccine
Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine adsorbed by Medgamal.jpg

Russian Staphylococcus toxoid adsorbed vaccine: the box containing 10 x 1 ml ampoules
Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine adsorbed by Medgamal 2.jpg

Index to Important Posts in This Thread:

The Russian Staphylococcus adsorbed vaccine seems to work similarly to the original Staphypan Staphylococcus vaccine, a vaccine which was used by Prof Gottfries as an effective ME/CFS treatment, and one proven in Gottfries's published clinical trials.

Other Relevant Posts and Articles:

For those who live in countries with strict customs, europechemist.com specialize in getting drugs to countries which have strict customs. They do not have the Staphylococcus vaccine on their website, but they are run and owned by RUPharma.com, who do stock the vaccine here.

Last edited:

Abha

Abha
I have had to temporarily halt my tests due to the fact that the vaccine now seems to have started triggering some mental symptom side effects each time I take it (these side effects only last for a day or two, but are a bit unpleasant, so I am stopping the test for the moment until I can find a way to prevent them).

I have not yet got around to creating a new concise thread on the vaccine treatment, but some relevant posts in this thread are the following:

Hi Hip ,
Thanks for that update.Sorry to hear that you are having side effects.I eagerly await your new thread when you feel up to it.Thanks for all the links too.
Take care....

Sparrowhawk

I have had to temporarily halt my tests due to the fact that the vaccine now seems to have started triggering some mental symptom side effects each time I take it (these side effects only last for a day or two, but are a bit unpleasant, so I am stopping the test for the moment until I can find a way to prevent them).

I have not yet got around to creating a new concise thread on the vaccine treatment, but some relevant posts in this thread are the following:

INDEX TO THIS THREAD:

How to take the vaccine (my instructions)

Vaccine manufacturer's instructions

Picture of the Russian vaccine

Local reactions of the vaccine (should be no larger than 6 cm across)

Gottfries studies and clinical trials of the original Staphypan vaccine treatment for ME/CFS

@Omar88 have a look at the above threads: these should answer most of your questions.
Thanks for the index -- as always, thorough and helpful as you are so consistently. Sorry to hear about the side effects and it will be important to see if any others report similar. Meanwhile sending you all the best for better outcomes with your next trial.

Quick update #2

Did the 3rd injection last night and I'm up to .3ml. For some reason this injection bled a lot and the injection site hurts more than normal the next day. Its also hard around the injection site. I'm thinking that this is due to the increased amount of the vaccine. Also, I'm not sure if I should be injecting slowly or quickly. @Hip maybe you can answer this question. I believe that I am receiving some benefit from the vaccine as I have had more energy in the mornings. I will note that I have started a 8/16 fasting schedule where I'm only eating within an 8 hour window with the exception of coffee mixed with butter. I've done this fast before with mixed results but now it seems to be really giving me some benefit. I would also like to note that I'm taking 1200 IU of D3 as Hip noted that his best days came when combining the D3 and the vaccine.

I also can't help but think that the ampules I have just aren't that strong. The heat has been extreme and it took about 7 days to reach me. I wish there were a way to test the strength of the vaccine at home. Until next time...

Hip

For some reason this injection bled a lot and the injection site hurts more than normal the next day.

I found that it is best to keep lateral movement of the needle to a minimum while injecting (ie, don't lever it sideways while it is in), else you can mildly injure the tissues beneath the skin surface with the sharp needle point, and this can irritate the injection site.

Also, I'm not sure if I should be injecting slowly or quickly. @Hip maybe you can answer this question.

I typically subcutaneously inject a 1 ml volume of liquid slowly over a period of 60 seconds or so. I will squeeze in around 20% of the liquid, then wait for 15 seconds, and then squeeze in another 20%, etc, until the whole 1 ml is injected.

I would also like to note that I'm taking 1200 IU of D3 as Hip noted that his best days came when combining the D3 and the vaccine.

When I had these good weeks after injecting the vaccine, I was taking 12,000 IU (not 1,200 IU) daily of vitamin D3 for three weeks prior (it takes several weeks for vitamin D levels to build up in the body, so you really need to start taking vitamin D3 a few weeks prior to starting the injections).

Interestingly enough, I recent learnt that good vitamin D3 status may be essential for low-dose naltrexone (LDN) to work: see Lack of vitamin D may reduce the efficacy of LDN.

I also can't help but think that the ampules I have just aren't that strong. The heat has been extreme and it took about 7 days to reach me.

From what I can work out, toxoid-type vaccines like this Russian one, although they need to be stored in the refrigerator, are the most heat stable of all vaccines, and are the least likely to be damaged or weakened from being exposed to a period of higher temperatures. More details in the post: thermostability of vaccines.

Last edited:
I found that it is best to keep lateral movement of the needle to a minimum while injecting (ie, don't lever it sideways while it is in), else you can mildly injure the tissues beneath the skin surface with the sharp needle point, and this can irritate the injection site
Ah, yes. I think I found this out the hard way. Just did the 4th injection and it went much smoother.

I was taking 12,000 IU (not 1,200 IU) daily of vitamin D3 for three weeks prior (it takes several weeks for vitamin D levels to build up in the body, so you really need to start taking vitamin D3 a few weeks prior to starting the injections).
I misspoke here. I was taking 12k. Thanks for catching that as I wouldn't want others to mess that up!

Also, I just completed my 4th injection and stupidly only did .3cc instead of the .4cc so I'm hoping that my jump to .6cc next week won't be too bad.

So far no big noticeable effects from the vaccine. My mood hasn't been too good lately and I'm beginning to suspect that this might be a cause.

Hip

So far no big noticeable effects from the vaccine. My mood hasn't been too good lately and I'm beginning to suspect that this might be a cause.

Originally I had noticed that the vaccine would put be into a buoyant, almost elated mood for a day or so just after injection (which was welcome, because usually I tend to be in the doldrums of mild depression). This temporary mood boost effect was reported by two others trying the vaccine (@Tinnybell and @ECAsson).

Shame that you are not experiencing this, and may be getting a lowered mood instead. I understand that in Sweden, with the original Staphypan vaccine, the researchers did find some ME/CFS patients were sensitive to the mercury content. What I did at one stage was to take DMSA 300 mg three times daily in the days just after the injection; DMSA is a mercury chelator (which I just happened to have in stock).

Sparrowhawk

@Hip the only counter to your advice above is (per Andrew Cutler) that folks with Mercury Amalgam fillings still in their mouths should not take DMSA or any other mercury chelator -- can unfortunately mobilize more mercury around the body and into the brain than you would help remove from the injections mercury content.

Hip

@Sparrowhawk, yes it did occur to me also that DMSA might make things worse rather than better. It's hard to tell. I don't think I am mercury sensitive anyway. And bear in mind that eating a can of tuna will deposit just as much mercury in your bloodstream as a vaccine injection.

Originally I had noticed that the vaccine would put be into a buoyant, almost elated mood for a day or so just after injection (which was welcome, because usually I tend to be in the doldrums of mild depression). This temporary mood boost effect was reported by two others trying the vaccine (@Tinnybell and @ECAsson).

Shame that you are not experiencing this, and may be getting a lowered mood instead. I understand that in Sweden, with the original Staphypan vaccine, the researchers did find some ME/CFS patients were sensitive to the mercury content. What I did at one stage was to take DMSA 300 mg three times daily in the days just after the injection; DMSA is a mercury chelator (which I just happened to have in stock).

It's true. In the very beginning, I would feel awesome upon taking the shots, immediately. However, I became slightly worse after a couple of weeks of doing so (can't remember when exactly), and I got slightly worse overall ever since. I can't tell for sure if it had something to do with the vaccine or the nature of the infection.

TenuousGrip

Anybody ever had their IgG antibodies to staph tested ??

I'm a carrier (nasal/sinus) of s.aureus. It seems nasal carriage should reflect elevated antibody levels*

But if it doesn't, that could represent a significant immune defect.

In May, I was tested for IgG antibodies to 23 strains of streptococcal pneumoniae. I made nearly zero antibodies to 22 of the 23 strains. This IS a problem.

The normal next step would be a Pneumovax vaccine, followed by another blood test in 4-6wks. But I've had too many adverse drug and vaccine reactions to risk it.

I'm currently working with an immunologic center of excellence on how to proceed on the s.pneumoniae defect, and will be asking them to do similar testing for staph.

Incidentally, I've done the Bactroban/Mupirocin treatment thing several times. If it worked ... the staph colonization always comes back.

If some of us have innate immune problems with such common bugs as staph and strep, that could definitely cause a lot of misery.

----

* http://cvi.asm.org/content/17/7/1117.full

Hip

It's true. In the very beginning, I would feel awesome upon taking the shots, immediately. However, I became slightly worse after a couple of weeks of doing so (can't remember when exactly), and I got slightly worse overall ever since. I can't tell for sure if it had something to do with the vaccine or the nature of the infection.

I was informed that in the first weeks of the vaccine protocol, patients sometimes feel very slightly worse; but then the improvements in ME/CFS symptoms appear from around the two week point onwards, in those who respond to the vaccine.

Though for some others, it takes months before they respond to the vaccine.

So just a quick update: Its now been over 3 month since I started the protocol and I'm now doing maintenance injections of 1ml every two weeks. I hadn't noticed much improvement until now. Its now been two days since the 1ml shot. The night after I did the injection I woke up and could not go back to sleep. It felt like I had energy and a clear head. I got terrible sleep but the next day and day after/today I've seen some marked improvement with mood, energy and brain fog. I would say that I feel 30-40% better than my baseline. Usually getting terrible sleep means a terrible next day but even with that I've seen great improvement.

I also almost gave up on this treatment because it was past the 2 months but apparently some doctors are saying it can take longer. Hoping the effects stick around. I'll update on the progress soon.

Hip

That's similar to what I experienced with the vaccine when it was working for me: I'd inject the vaccine, and then on around the 3rd day after the injection, I noticed a major increase in mood, energy and mental clarity. So with my brain fog banished by the vaccine, I was able to do lots of complex computer programming work that I would normally never be able to do.

Then after around 8 to 10 days in this energized and clear-headed state, these positive effects of the vaccine would slowly wear off; so it was then time for another injection, which again gave me another 8 to 10 days of great mental clarity and energy. More info here.

Last edited:

Abha

Abha
I also almost gave up on this treatment because it was past the 2 months but apparently some doctors are saying it can take longer. Hoping the effects stick around. I'll update on the progress soon.

Hi CaptainA,
Just wondering if you have made any further progress on this treatment...
Thanks....