• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feel much better when I have a 'normal' virus, and not a 'reactivation'

drob31

I noticed with my bloodwork that my WBC count is always low, but when I'm sick, it creeps up to being low normal. I seem to feel better when my WBC count is higher, unless it's a EBV reactivation, in which case it's much worse.

JES

I share your experience 100%, although I don't have WBC or any other standard blood test abnormalities. I started a thread on it some time ago here. Getting a cold usually means my mental clarity is almost back to normal, basically I don't have any brainfog at all. Too bad that I only have colds once every two or three years or so, as I would choose being mildly sick with a cold any day over the usual symptoms I have. The only other times I achieved anything similar in terms of improvement have been under sleep deprivation or when travelling, but the cold is by far the best remission.

drob31

I share your experience 100%, although I don't have WBC or any other standard blood test abnormalities. I started a thread on it some time ago here. Getting a cold usually means my mental clarity is almost back to normal, basically I don't have any brainfog at all. Too bad that I only have colds once every two or three years or so, as I would choose being mildly sick with a cold any day over the usual symptoms I have. The only other times I achieved anything similar in terms of improvement have been under sleep deprivation or when travelling, but the cold is by far the best remission.

It seems to me that this conclusively proves that you need to boost immunity. Have you ever tried anything like immunovir?

JES

It seems to me that this conclusively proves that you need to boost immunity. Have you ever tried anything like immunovir?

I haven't used immunovir, but I trialed inosine a few years ago, which I think should be quite similar in effect. Back then I reacted badly to it like with any immune stimulant; basically increase of brain fog, anxiety, fatigue, neuropathic pain, etc. The amplitude of all symptoms increased, nothing like as with the flu/cold, so I couldn't tolerate taking these supplements for over a week.

It could be that I would react differently now, as I read CFS/ME patients after three years with this disease develop a different cytokine profile, so it's possible I would tolerate it better now. The only immune modulator that I've been able to take and still use is LDN.

ebethc

I noticed with my bloodwork that my WBC count is always low, but when I'm sick, it creeps up to being low normal. I seem to feel better when my WBC count is higher, unless it's a EBV reactivation, in which case it's much worse.

how do you know that you have an EBV reactivation? do you test IgM, and find an elevated result?

ebethc

I haven't used immunovir, but I trialed inosine a few years ago, which I think should be quite similar in effect. Back then I reacted badly to it like with any immune stimulant; basically increase of brain fog, anxiety, fatigue, neuropathic pain, etc. The amplitude of all symptoms increased, nothing like as with the flu/cold, so I couldn't tolerate taking these supplements for over a week.

It could be that I would react differently now, as I read CFS/ME patients after three years with this disease develop a different cytokine profile, so it's possible I would tolerate it better now. The only immune modulator that I've been able to take and still use is LDN.

I had the same reaction from medicinal mushrooms (cordyceps, reishi, chaga)... I'm just recovering, and am back to my "normal" bad baseline...

I may try again at an extremely low dose, because I felt better at first

ebethc

I was in ER, they did swab test. IgG antibody titers are always high otherwise.

sorry - I don't understand what the swab test means... they swabbed your throat and found a mono (ebv) culture? (I don't even know if mono or ebv can be swabbed; I know strep can be) .. I thought EBV was dx by titers..
thanks for clarifying

drob31

sorry - I don't understand what the swab test means... they swabbed your throat and found a mono (ebv) culture? (I don't even know if mono or ebv can be swabbed; I know strep can be) .. I thought EBV was dx by titers..
thanks for clarifying

Now that I think about it maybe it was saliva? I can't remember.

hi, just a question relevant to the topic...have u searched whether high IgG antibody titers means that we deal with a reactivation of the virus? Do u know if there is a way to test this somehow?

I have passed EBV and my IgM antibodies are low-so theoretically there is no reactivation. However, IgG antibodies were high (42,5) which may mean reactivation. No doctor has a clear opinion on that.