• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extreme adverse reaction to methy folate

Eastman

Would b2 and b1 deficiencies show up on a blood test? I had one a few days before this episode without abnormalities. Had another one at the ER without abnormalities. I do not know whether I have a gene mutation.

Deficiencies might but don't necessarily show up on standard blood tests.

Deficiencies might but don't necessarily show up on standard blood tests.

Would powerade be sufficent to improve b1 and b2 levels? I dislike the notion of trying supplements in order to improve symptoms but will pursue in the future if progress isn't made.

Last edited:

Eastman

Would powerade be sufficent to improve b1 and b2 levels? I dislike the notion of trying supplements in order to improve symptoms but will pursue in the future if progress isn't made.

Depends on how severe the deficiency is. I'm not familiar with powerade but I thought it doesn't have B1. The sugar and other additives might even deplete your body of B1.

Fuck. What do I do? Drink powerade?
Depends on how severe the deficiency is. I'm not familiar with powerade but I thought it doesn't have B1. The sugar and other additives might even deplete your body of B1.

From my understanding, the B-Right supplement I took had b1, b2, and b3 in it. I don't know whether that changes anything. If you recommend any supplements, let me know.

Seven7

Seven
I took 20mcg methylfolate 9 days ago and I've been having extreme side effects that will not go away.

I've been having panic attacks daily and went to the ER a few times now. I've been suicidal ans cannot think properly whatsoever. I really don't know how to get out of this but I feel as if I'm going to die from this.

I literally took 1/3 capsule of Jarrow's B-Right and my life has completely fallen apart. I cannot use critical thinking at all. I don't know what to do. I'm begging for help.
I cannot tolerate even the most little. I am mhtfr the 1295? i forget the number but I am supposed to need it and I cannot tolerate even the smallest amount, my brain swells so bad I sleep for days and loose consciousness so I just stay away ( I react the same with a lot green foods at once also).

Update about two months later

It's important to note that I am also going through a benzo withdrawal therefore the b-right complex may have interacted with that.

I had to spend 7 weeks at a psychiatric facility in order to stabilize my health. I'm still feeling very off however the panic attacks have subsided. My cognitive skills aren't fantastic and I'm not doing that well in my life. However, I will persist through this. I can confidently say that I have no idea what I'm doing nor do I know how I was put into this position.

One month later after last post.

These days I'm doing relatively well. I'm happy and content and only rarely do I get panic attacks. I'm am looking forward to life and do not feel as burdened by my symptoms. I have less overall anxiety and I am thinking more rationally than before.

As I stated earlier, I am going through a benzodiazepines withdrawal therefore many of the neurotic symptoms from methyl-folate I've faced can be attributed to exacerbation of benzodiazepines withdrawal, therefore what happened to me cannot be analyzed exclusively to methylfolate, making this entire thread void.

In addition to my last update, I stated that I still was feeling off. I forgot to mention that I began taking gabapentin (100mg) a day, therefore my "feeling off" could be from the gabapentin

I was always an extremely anxious person before this incident, and have been formally diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. This is the main underlying culprit to this "psychotic" episode. Honestly, I don't think much about this event that much anymore. If you are having major negative symptoms to methylfolate, I HIGHLY recommend going in-patient to a psychiatric hospital. They will help stabilize your health.

I will not try hydrob12, or niacin, or any supplement for that matter. I will continue to eat a nutritious diet and exercise in order to feel better. Thank you to everyone here.