• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Practical ways of looking nice

Gingergrrl

I would like to try another dye. I was thinking of Naturtint

I use Naturtint which I buy at Whole Foods but am pretty sure you can buy on-line as well. I did not color my hair for 2.5 years during my extreme MCAS reactions b/c not worth the risk of reacting to the dye on my skin or to the smell.

But earlier this year in Feb (about five mos ago), I tried the Naturtint and was not allergic whatsoever to the dye or smell. It's time for me to do it again but b/c of my upcoming treatments, I have decided to wait b/c I cannot risk even the most miniscule chance of an allergic reaction to the dye prior to the treatments (even though I am certain that there won't be).

I am not talented or knowledgeable enough to do it myself and have a lovely woman who comes to my apt and cuts and colors my hair. For 2.5 yrs she was just cutting with without coloring it but next time (whenever that may be), I will do both again. I ended up cutting my hair myself about 2 wks ago b/c it was looking so horrible and have gotten lots of compliments on it (even though I did not do such a great job when I analyze it myself)!

Daffodil

@Gingergrrl that's great that you have someone to do it for you! I need a trim too but keep putting it off. I think Light Mountain is the only thing that has literally no chemicals at all...I bet you could use that one. That or pure henna but I wouldn't recommend that. Light Mountain is even rated a 1 on the EWG website.

its too bad I have black hair so need darker colors. I think the lighter colors have less chemicals.

Indian people often dye their hair from a very young age because it goes grey so quickly. My parents have been using the most toxic dyes their entire lives. They are perfectly healthy though lol. My mother did start developing an allergic reaction after many decades so then switched to less toxic brands. She doesn't seem to react to PDD though.

xo

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
I took some number four men's clippers to my hair recently, and am very pleased with the consequences. My hair had been very long, approaching my waist, but it was fine. So I took a pair of scissors to it, and then the clippers, and all of a sudden you could see my scalp a bit, not that I cared. Two and a half weeks later it was a nice length, but I've trimmed it again. I wouldn't mind it a bit shorter than number 4, lol, but the great thing about it is that my hair is never messy, and I'm no longer picking long hairs off tops all the time. It dries in minutes and requires almost no attention. If I go to bed before it dries and it's standing up a bit in the morning, I just splash some water on it and smooth it down and it's good to go. This is the easiest hairstyle I've ever had, and I just need to take the clippers to it every now and then to keep it looking neat. It also encouraged me to finally get my ears pierced and to review my wardrobe. All of a sudden, polo neck jumpers look better on me than they used to.

I'd watched loads of videos on You Tube of women shaving their heads or giving themselves extra short haircuts with clippers, and I never did come across a woman who looked worse afterwards. They always looked good to me. Which is what pushed me to make the jump.

I have to say, it's great cutting your own hair off, and then clipping it that short.

Daffodil

I rarely get my hair cut and my mother I think has gone to a salon once in her life lol. some of my relatives go every 6 weeks!

my mom usually makes me cut her hair...i have no idea what i am doing but she doesnt care. i got her to cut mine once...but i like a little layering so i go to a cheap place like once every 3 years or something.

i am so low maintenance lol looks like a lot of people here are too!

Mij

I go to the salon 2 sometimes 3 times a year. I like the choppy undercut bobs because it can take on a whole new "look" as it grows out. I also snip and texturize my own bangs along the way and can't see the uneveness because of the style of cut. It's a great economical style if you can pull that look off.

Gingergrrl

I like the choppy undercut bobs because it can take on a whole new "look" as it grows out. I also snip and texturize my own bangs along the way and can't see the uneveness because of the style of cut. It's a great economical style if you can pull that look off.

I actually do something sort of similar since getting sick and am able to pull it off, too. The days of real hair styles and make-up for me are over (for now)!

Mij

@Gingergrrl . . . that's ok . . . since turning 50 I absolutely NEED eyebrow powder when I go out.

I've also mastered colouring my own hair with professional products and wear a mask. The tricky part was finding the right colour for my hair. It costs me less than $3.

Daffodil

I now wear a TINY bit of BB cream and only once in a while. blech. I hate makeup but I guess I will have to get used to it one day. it took me until I was like 40 to even moisturize my face. I hate the feeling of anything on me! lol

Daffodil

@Gingergrrl . . . that's ok . . . since turning 50 I absolutely NEED eyebrow powder when I go out.

I've also mastered colouring my own hair with professional products and wear a mask. The tricky part was finding the right colour for my hair. It costs me less than $3.
what is eyebrow powder? do you mean an eyebrow pencil?

Revel

Ditto. And remember to go a few shades lighter than your actual hair color!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

thGAVO9A0E.jpg

erin

I don't watch tv, no idea about tv personalities. I don't live in the US no idea about US celebrities. So, when I went to a website described my hair type and somehow paste my face on the bit where a frame like thing, an American celebs name appeared; Lisa Rinna. So I have no idea who this woman is. She looks cute, much cuter than me. But I have similar face bone structure less lippy though. (I think she had some work done to her lips). And very similar type of hair.

So I live in a place that no one knows who she is, I show the photo of this Lisa woman to a hair dresser and she cuts my hair similar as much as to his ability. It is not a very easy cut. It looks kind of OK but something was not right initially. Hair dresser notices this and insists that he'll add very few high lights here and there, like 5 places on my head over all. I was very very worried about this as you can imagine the allergies that I suffer. He uses mildest light hair dye possible and did the 48 hours test.

So I went for it and I can not believe how easy to maintain this style. I mean It looks great, actually the best cut I've ever had. It also took years of me. I had a lot of positive comments and asked about the hair saloon by many ladies around.

I normally would never ever choose such a style. It is amazing what can be achieved in the internet. Unfortunately I can not find the link of this celeb hair style web site.

I am also anti-celeb culture, it must be just boredom that got me there. But it worked!

tudiemoore

Have tried and tried to get up the nerve to do this--

My mother and her sisters (three)-all did each others brows and coached each other through the finer points,
did hair color, and perms--

I was next in line--my mother was the first of the sisters to produce offspring--so I had the benefit of all this.

First example--I had very little hair--so my mother massaged my scalp with Glover's Mange Cure (true!) and put my hair in pincurls. I still remember how the stuff smelled!
Years later when I accused her of abusive beauty tactics, her reply was always, "Well, you have hair now, don't you?"

And next-has anybody here had a Tonette? (Showing my age--)

If not, so sad--this was a specially created home permanent for CHILDREN!
And yes, of course I had one! Girls like curls, you know--
I still remember how that one smelled too--;)

perchance dreamer

I do very little in the way of girly stuff, but I do love to have my eyebrows waxed and tinted. They are really wild, otherwise.

I don't really style my hair, but I put it in a bun on the top of my head (a la middle-aged Pebbles) before I go to sleep. It smooths the curls and gives it body. I sometimes mist it with water first to give it some more oomph.