• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extreme adverse reaction to methy folate

I took 20mcg methylfolate 9 days ago and I've been having extreme side effects that will not go away.

I've been having panic attacks daily and went to the ER a few times now. I've been suicidal ans cannot think properly whatsoever. I really don't know how to get out of this but I feel as if I'm going to die from this.

I literally took 1/3 capsule of Jarrow's B-Right and my life has completely fallen apart. I cannot use critical thinking at all. I don't know what to do. I'm begging for help.

Are you taking any extra vitamin b12? You need B12 if you take folate.
That jarrow complex is in a capsule right? You might need extra vitamin b12 to take sublingual because b12 doesn't get absorbed well in the gut.

Last edited:
Are you taking any extra vitamin b12? You need B12 if you take folate.
That jarrow complex is in a capsule right? You might need extra vitamin b12 to take sublingual because b12 doesn't get absorbed well in the gut.

I took b12 subguinely but makes me further depressed. It has been 9 days and my symptoms are getting worse. I can't even control my emotiona anymore. Eating chicken (methione, b12, protein) are the only things that has helped. I just can't believe what this has done to me.

I'm sorry you are feeling bad. There are a few People that don't react well to methylfolate etc.

Did you take sublingual methylB12 or hydroxoB12? I personally tolerate hydroxoB12 much better. MethylB12 produces a lot of SAM-e which could increase neurotransmitter breakdown.
HydroxoB12 also helped anxiety at times.

Another issue could be overmethylation. MethylB12 and methylfolate produce a lot of SAM-e and that might cause overmethylation symptoms like anxiety. Vitamin B3 can help with that and chicken also has high B3 levels.

I'm sorry you are feeling bad. There are a few People that don't react well to methylfolate etc.

Did you take sublingual methylB12 or hydroxoB12? I personally tolerate hydroxoB12 much better. MethylB12 produces a lot of SAM-e which could increase neurotransmitter breakdown.
HydroxoB12 also helped anxiety at times.

Another issue could be overmethylation. MethylB12 and methylfolate produce a lot of SAM-e and that might cause overmethylation symptoms like anxiety. Vitamin B3 can help with that and chicken also has high B3 levels.

I took methylcobalamin b12 from Jarrows. I've discontinued use of it. I'm interested in taking a niacin tablet but I'm too scared of the side effects. I'm not really thinking rationally and think it's better if I go to the ER. I don't think they'll do anything significant but I'm not sure what to do.

If the ER trip is unsuccessful, I will try a naicin tablet tomorrow. I may try hydroxob12 as well. I'm hopeful these side effects will go away.

I've been wondering, is this a methyl trap? I can't distinguish if it is.

I was a classic undermethylator all my life and since methylfolate, I've been an overmethylator.

That seems like a good plan :)
I don't know that much about methyl-trapping. I think it's from taking too much methylfolate and too little b12 so it might be related to your problems?
Write an update how it goes.

vortex

I have only heard of this happening from taking Deplin sized doses, 15,000mcg+
but it has happened. I am not sure exactly what happens other than a whole bunch of reactions that have been pent up finally release and things go haywire. Perhaps a bunch of neurotransmitters are created. But I feel it is more likely a heavy metal issue like mercury being released. Do you have mercury fillings in your teeth? I wouldn't try chelators, it might make things worse, I would try something safer, like binders such as activated charcoal or bentonite to try to mop things up?

Eastman

20 mcg methylfolate is indeed a very low dose to be causing problems. How much B12 are you taking?

According to Sherpa, the most common reason people overreact to methylfolate is having the MAO R297R mutation combined with B2 deficiency (and / or thyroid dysfunction).

Or you could have an abnormal autonomic nervous system caused, according to Dr Derrick Lonsdale, by thiamine deficiency, which, I suspect, could be a result of B12/folate supplementation.

Ben Lynch has an article on preventing methylfolate side effects.

vortex

20mcg does sound low, are you sure it was 20mcg?

A b-right has 400mcg per cap, so a 1/3 should be 133mcg.

Is this what you meant?

20mcg does sound low, are you sure it was 20mcg?

A b-right has 400mcg per cap, so a 1/3 should be 133mcg.

Is this what you meant?

Wow. I didn't know it was 400mcg, I thought it was 40mcg. This would explain my extreme adverse reaction. I do not tolerate folates well at all but I did not realize this before use.

My dosage could have been anywhere between 50-350mcg. I tried being risk-adverse and trying only 1/3 of a capsule to help with problems with fluoroquinolones toxicity. Never did I know that this supplement would induce hell into my mind.

With a 10-35mcg dose, I thought it will take 7-8 months to get better, but now I'm questioning whether I'll even get better before 2019.

If I remember back in April, I began eating spinach daily and was probably eating around 2-3mcg daily for a total of about 15mcg. This ordeal made me slightly depressed for two weeks and the side effects went away. 50mcg-350mcg is literally 9-23x the dose. Holy shit. I don't know when I'll get better and I'm projecting around August/ September 2018.

I will not use niacin or methyb12 throughout this ordeal. I distrust supplments wholly. I will sporadically update this forum in order to provide more information to other who are going through this. Methylfolate needs to be used with medical supervision and full genetic testing. What this supplement has done to me is absolutely crazy, and this is a person going through fluoroquinolones toxicities. I literally can't think straight and I have a constant headache and irritations daily. It has changed my personality and I cannot communicate well with others without become irritated.

I had a blood test before using this and there were no deficiencies. After methyl use proved to show no deficiencies as well.

That seems like a good plan :)
I don't know that much about methyl-trapping. I think it's from taking too much methylfolate and too little b12 so it might be related to your problems?
Write an update how it goes.

I'm not exactly doing better but I think it'll take one to two years for me to get better. I don't have suicidal thoughts or panic attacks though so I think that is good.

The ER did a CT scan and blood test which both showed no abnormalities.

I will not be using niacin or methylb12. I will use my diet and exercising to get better.

I have only heard of this happening from taking Deplin sized doses, 15,000mcg+
but it has happened. I am not sure exactly what happens other than a whole bunch of reactions that have been pent up finally release and things go haywire. Perhaps a bunch of neurotransmitters are created. But I feel it is more likely a heavy metal issue like mercury being released. Do you have mercury fillings in your teeth? I wouldn't try chelators, it might make things worse, I would try something safer, like binders such as activated charcoal or bentonite to try to mop things up?

I have been depressed and anxiety ridden all of my life and I am going through fluoroquinolones toxicity (which is the same as a benzo withdrawal) so those issues may have been a catalysts to this psychotic episode.

I don't have mercery fillings nor do I know my mercury levels/ intake.

Last edited:
20 mcg methylfolate is indeed a very low dose to be causing problems. How much B12 are you taking?

According to Sherpa, the most common reason people overreact to methylfolate is having the MAO R297R mutation combined with B2 deficiency (and / or thyroid dysfunction).

Or you could have an abnormal autonomic nervous system caused, according to Dr Derrick Lonsdale, by thiamine deficiency, which, I suspect, could be a result of B12/folate supplementation.

Ben Lynch has an article on preventing methylfolate side effects.

Would b2 and b1 deficiencies show up on a blood test? I had one a few days before this episode without abnormalities. Had another one at the ER without abnormalities. I do not know whether I have a gene mutation.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly doing better but I think it'll take one to two years for me to get better. I don't have suicidal thoughts or panic attacks though so I think that is good.

The ER did a CT scan and blood test which both showed no abnormalities.

I will not be using niacin or methylb12. I will use my diet and exercising to get better.

I'm glad you're at least feeling a bit better mentally.

That's of course your decision with the supplements. In case you want to try them at some point anyway, I was talking about hydroxocobalamin and niacin. I wouldn't want you to get that wrong, I don't think methylB12 would be good in your situation.