• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jim Faas comments on 'renowned' PACE trial

Solstice

Not sure what Google Translate is aiming for here, but I think we can all agree that PACE is for no sickness kitten :D

Sikkepit is sorta similar to iota. The meaning of the first sentence is roughly: The renowned PACE trial on basis of which GET and CGT are offered as first treatment for the disease, apparently doesn't contain an iota of merit. Or something along those lines.

Solstice

He is calling for corporate doctors and insurance doctors to get out of the game for now, untill there's some solid evidence of what does and what doesn't work. The gist I got was, you can diagnose them but don't force any treatments upon them. Which all-in-all is a good thing imo.

Grigor

I think it's quite big thing in the Netherlands. He really is the first, besides Mark Vink, who has written about PACE like this. On top of this he is a big name at the unemployment office UWV and even criticises them that ME patients need to go to court to justify themselves and need fight against the whole idea that CBT and GET could potentially cure them. He's also the former president of the insurance physicians association.

James Coyne will be speaking at a conference for insurance physicians in the north of Holland this year. It will obviously be about PACE and CBT/GET.

I think this asks for a famous wooden clogs dance.

I think this asks for a famous wooden clogs dance.
I think we should begin to adopt the Wooden Clog Dance Scale in order to indicate the importance of events within the ME world, with the retraction of PACE as perhaps being worth two Wooden Clog Dances - although I'm not sure any one could actually cope with that... ;)

Something interesting I noticed after a recent visit to the Radboud University in Nijmegen is that our favorite Dutch quacks are no longer headquartered there.

Maybe their bad work has finally caught up with them, and there's been a bit of house-cleaning going on? One of their recent papers even went so far as to impute recovery/improvement for patients who were literally not treated at all :jaw-drop:

Perhaps the winds really are shifting, even here.

Grigor

@Valentijn Hans Knoop the head of the quacks and friend of the PACE authors in Nijmegen just got promoted to professor of evidence-based psychological and behavioral interventions for medical conditions and somatic symptoms at the AMC in Amsterdam.....evidence based.... Tsss.

Anyways they moved with him. I'm not sure if Nijmegen stopped working for and with him. I would be surprised?