• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Go from having chronic fatigue to having the syndrome?

eric_gladiator

I remember years ago in an era of constant stress already accumulated and with a medication that caused me even more anxiety and thoughts of suicide that one day I woke up with symptoms of influenza. I from there I always feel tired but I did not know why, I had been stressed and never had that happen to me, but I just felt tired, with less energy but could make life "normal". Now a few months ago the root of another drug is when I notice the symptoms of CFS and everything that entails leaving me many times in bed and unable to do almost anything. I find it incredible the sudden change and that having a tiredness without more symptoms now I have an unbearable tiredness and symptoms that I had never had, I find it difficult to understand all this and no doctor gives me an answer

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I find it incredible the sudden change and that having a tiredness without more symptoms now I have an unbearable tiredness and symptoms that I had never had, I find it difficult to understand all this and no doctor gives me an answer
If you read the latest research you'll see some pretty good theories about the biological/biochemical mechanisms that occur in this change. It won't have filtered down to most physicians yet, but we know so much more that we did a few years ago.

If you read the latest research you'll see some pretty good theories about the biological/biochemical mechanisms that occur in this change. It won't have filtered down to most physicians yet, but we know so much more that we did a few years ago.
I am Scared,I may be on a similar road,
Seems IMMUNE system related , changes in Th1 , th2? Dont know, would like to know,

Thanks, Sushi, for the INSIGHT...

eric_gladiator

@Sushi
The other day talking to my psychiatrist, I explained that they are negative emotions of frustration expressed physically in symptoms.

Wonkmonk

I remember years ago in an era of constant stress already accumulated and with a medication that caused me even more anxiety and thoughts of suicide that one day I woke up with symptoms of influenza. I from there I always feel tired but I did not know why, I had been stressed and never had that happen to me, but I just felt tired, with less energy but could make life "normal". Now a few months ago the root of another drug is when I notice the symptoms of CFS and everything that entails leaving me many times in bed and unable to do almost anything. I find it incredible the sudden change and that having a tiredness without more symptoms now I have an unbearable tiredness and symptoms that I had never had, I find it difficult to understand all this and no doctor gives me an answer

Sounds a bit like my experience. I felt more and more tired for several years, but would never have thought about having CFS or any other serious disease. Then there is a second trigger and everything goes downhill pretty fast. For me it was a thyroid operation. A week after that terrible symptoms started and a year later I was unable to work. (edit: My thyroid tests are perfect for some time and I tried all the stuff out there, i.e. T3, natural thyroid, sustained release forms etc. with no improvement. The problem is not from the thyroid operation).

Today I would say that the "fatigue" is the least bothering symptom of all. The pain, heart problems, headache, brain fog etc. are the worst part of it. If I had to keep just one of my symptoms and could get rid of all the others, I'd probably choose to keep the fatigue. This disease should really have a different name IMO.

Did you check herpes virus titers already? At least in my case, I seem to improve quite a bit on anti-herpes drugs.

caledonia

Exactly which drugs? I've been working on compiling a list of things which negatively impact the mitochondria.

Many drugs, including some psych drugs, are bad for the mitos. I may be able to tell you if your particular drugs are suspect.

Are you still taking any of these drugs?

eric_gladiator

@Wonkmonk

how old are you? For me the fatigue is the worst, that does not let you do anything even if you want, think that if we improve the fatigue automatically everything improves, at least I remember when it was not so bad and could lead a very normal life.

I have pending to do more tests but I still can not find the strength to do them

caledonia

Sounds a bit like my experience. I felt more and more tired for several years, but would never have thought about having CFS or any other serious disease. Then there is a second trigger and everything goes downhill pretty fast. For me it was a thyroid operation. A week after that terrible symptoms started and a year later I was unable to work. (edit: My thyroid tests are perfect for some time and I tried all the stuff out there, i.e. T3, natural thyroid, sustained release forms etc. with no improvement. The problem is not from the thyroid operation).

Today I would say that the "fatigue" is the least bothering symptom of all. The pain, heart problems, headache, brain fog etc. are the worst part of it. If I had to keep just one of my symptoms and could get rid of all the others, I'd probably choose to keep the fatigue. This disease should really have a different name IMO.

Did you check herpes virus titers already? At least in my case, I seem to improve quite a bit on anti-herpes drugs.

People with MTHFR and/or CFS can have issues with anesthesia. Many people on here have reported their CFS beginning this way.

If you should happen to need surgery or dental work in the future, google "CFS and anesthesia" for the ones to avoid and right ones to get.

Wonkmonk

I'm age 34. Don't get me wrong, the fatigue is bad and it may be worse for you than it is for me. But in my case, it's not nearly the worst thing that I can't do much besides reading and internet, mostly in bed. The worst thing, as I experience it, is that life at times feels like torture (pain, headache etc.).

But it got much better with antivirals, so it might really be a good idea to do the herpes virus tests as recommended by Dr Lerner.

Perhaps - but please note I say this with great caution - it may be a drug that can help you is on the shelf at your chemist just a few blocks away.

Wonkmonk

Oh, yes, and the stress and psychology thing: In my experience this is what doctors say if they have exhausted their methods and still can't figure out what's wrong.

If you say - as I understand you do - that you don't think it can come from psychological reasons then I'd say that's an important indicator that it actually doesn't. Your doctor doesn't feel your body. Only you do.

Exactly which drugs? I've been working on compiling a list of things which negatively impact the mitochondria.

Many drugs, including some psych drugs, are bad for the mitos. I may be able to tell you if your particular drugs are suspect.

Are you still taking any of these drugs?
Would you mind sharing that list?

Wishful

Definitely include cinnamon and other spices and foods listed as strong antioxidants and peroxynitrite scavengers. Those are supposed to be 'good' functions, so don't limit your list to what healthy people consider negative for mitochondria. Anything that affects mitochondrial function might be good or bad or both for some of us with CFS.

I do intend to share it once I figure out a way to organize it and list sources. Dependent of course on energy levels, blah, blah.

It's all stuff you can google if you're in a hurry.
I use to take various SSRI's. Fluxotine (generic Prozac) apparently is harmful to mitochondria. I went two years with very little sleep, too so I think my mitochondria is done for.

eric_gladiator

@Wonkmonk

My diagnosis is by discard and symptoms. But it's so weird, I have these symptoms as a result of two antidepressants I take in my life! No doctor wants to listen to me but I'm sure that caused me havoc in my system I am desperate to find something that really works for me. I take supplements but these have only helped a little, for what they cost I have not done almost anything I do not know if this can be caused by physical and mental stress or not but what if I have clear is that most of us are like this before we lived a life without pauses

Wishful

If you're having negative effects from antidepressants, you might want to consider making even more effort to find a better doctor. I get the impression that antidepressants are very overprescribed and often to the detriment of the patient. I certainly wouldn't recommend stopping without professional oversight, but I also wouldn't keep taking them on the assumption that 'doctors are always right'.

caledonia

@Caledonia

Duloxetine exactly, I think and I suspect that I acted as a trigger of all this that I am suffering

Duloxetine doesn't appear to cause mito damage, but it can cause various nutrient depletions and side effects. A biggie appears to be orthostatic intolerance.
https://www.cchrint.org/psychdrugdangers/

"Cymbalta (duloxetine) is an anti-depressant – can cause possible calcium, iron and multi-vitamin deficiencies. These type of drugs, as anti-depressants, can cause hormone imbalances. "https://www.cchrint.org/psychdrugdangers/
http://www.mcvitamins.com/health opponents/drug-muggers-deficiencies.htm

Psych drugs in general cause various nutrients deficiencies, like B vitamins.

This is just with a quick google search. You can try googling "duloxetine depletes" or "cymbalta depletes" or check out the book Drug Muggers.

I use to take various SSRI's. Fluxotine (generic Prozac) apparently is harmful to mitochondria. I went two years with very little sleep, too so I think my mitochondria is done for.

Yes, Prozax/fluoxetine is not good for mitos.

Prozac (and many psych drugs) deplete melatonin.
http://www.optimallivingdynamics.co...diazepines-induced-guide-vitamins-medications

I don't know if any mito damage from Prozac is permanent or not. If you have brain/neurotransmitter changes, the body will repair itself eventually once you're off the drug, but it could take up to several years.