• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antidepressants

Skycloud

Hello Skycloud,
Yes I am also doing well, I did get insomnia a few weeks ago but I got a few sleeping tablets and they got me through it (think I cut too much off the tablet).
When I saw my doctor I told him I was tapering off the cit and how I was doing it, he didn't agree with me because he said you can't be accurate cutting them. He and told me to drop to 10mg from 15mg overnight! And then carry on for two weeks then just take about three a week after that, I told him I already feel ill with M. E. And didn't want to feel anymore ill. So I just ignored his advice, I will do my way by cutting the tablet like you. I am also just down to about 12 mg and will stick with this for 3 to 4 weeks.
The only other symptom I had early on was a slight headache but I could get rid of it easily with my usual painkillers. I am happy with how it is going and looking forward to being completely off.
Let me know how get on, good luck.
Regards
Jessie

I'm with you on the feeling ill anyway from the ME and not wanting to feel any worse. He didn't seem to have a plan for how to get from 10mg to 0mg, but didn't seem worried about accuracy, pill cutting or making solutions. He's happy for me to come off it as I like but I'm not sure if he's just humouring me on how I'm choosing to do it. I don't think he thinks any of this is necessary but does take on board that I can be unusually sensitive to changes in meds. He's keeping my prescription going for as along as it takes. Basically supportive.

Good luck to you too, Jessie, and let me know how you get on too

Last edited:

Jessie 107

I'm with you on the feeling ill anyway from the ME and not wanting to feel any worse. He didn't seem to have a plan for how to get from 10mg to 0mg, but didn't seem worried about accuracy, pill cutting or making solutions. He's happy for me to come off it as I like but I'm not sure if he's just humouring me on how I'm choosing to do it. I don't think he thinks any of this is necessary but does take on board that I can be unusually sensitive to changes in meds. He's keeping my prescription going for as along as it takes. Basically supportive.

Good luck to you too, Jessie, and let me know how you get on too
Hi Skycloud,
How are you getting on at the moment?
The reason I ask is I having some problems with getting to sleep, I didn't have this before so I am thinking is it because I am coming off of the citalopram? I go to bed at 10.45 and I am still awake in the early hours! I have always slept really well so this is a new thing for me. I have gone from having loads of sleep to not being able to sleep, not good for M. E. That's for sure! I am still on 12mg of citrolopram for another few weeks then I will drop to ten.
Are you experiencing anything like this?
My doctor has given me a few sleeping tablets but I had to use three of them last week so I am trying not to take them too often as I don't want to get used to them.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Jessie

Skycloud

Hi @Jessie 107
I'm doing fairly ok at the moment, thanks for asking.

I'm sorry you're having such trouble sleeping, that just makes everything worse doesn't it.:hug:

I wonder if your brain hasn't adjusted to the level of citalopram you are on, I know that I had insomnia when I first dropped, from alternating 20mg and 15mg each day as my GP advised. It was during my first 3 weeks. It felt like I was 'wired but tired' and that was why I had trouble getting to sleep, and didn't sleep so well when I did. I also felt kind of restless and energetic in an odd way during the day, and found it hard to relax and switch off. Does that sound anything like you?

I know that I have insomnia and feel wired but tired when I overdo things as part of my ME picture too but this seemed different. It was why I wanted to go more slowly with my reductions.

With my insomnia I largely put up with it but also worked hard at my sleep hygiene, including settling to sleep a earlier than usual at 9.30pm in case I was becoming overtired. I also reduced light levels in the bed room in stages for about half an hour before settling to sleep. I think it all helped a bit but I can't be sure.

If it were me I would probably want to put off reducing again for longer and not drop straight to 10mg from 12mg. I read through the information again on the survivingantidepressants.org that Caledonia posted on page 1. I'm thinking of switching to dissolved tablet solution by syringe soon to see how I find that method. It does seem fiddly.

Jessie, this could settle soon, your brain may just need more time to adjust. I hope so. Keep letting me know how you're doing. We will crack this you know :)

Jessie 107

Hi @Jessie 107
I'm doing fairly ok at the moment, thanks for asking.

I'm sorry you're having such trouble sleeping, that just makes everything worse doesn't it.:hug:

I wonder if your brain hasn't adjusted to the level of citalopram you are on, I know that I had insomnia when I first dropped, from alternating 20mg and 15mg each day as my GP advised. It was during my first 3 weeks. It felt like I was 'wired but tired' and that was why I had trouble getting to sleep, and didn't sleep so well when I did. I also felt kind of restless and energetic in an odd way during the day, and found it hard to relax and switch off. Does that sound anything like you?

I know that I have insomnia and feel wired but tired when I overdo things as part of my ME picture too but this seemed different. It was why I wanted to go more slowly with my reductions.

With my insomnia I largely put up with it but also worked hard at my sleep hygiene, including settling to sleep a earlier than usual at 9.30pm in case I was becoming overtired. I also reduced light levels in the bed room in stages for about half an hour before settling to sleep. I think it all helped a bit but I can't be sure.

If it were me I would probably want to put off reducing again for longer and not drop straight to 10mg from 12mg. I read through the information again on the survivingantidepressants.org that Caledonia posted on page 1. I'm thinking of switching to dissolved tablet solution by syringe soon to see how I find that method. It does seem fiddly.

Jessie, this could settle soon, your brain may just need more time to adjust. I hope so. Keep letting me know how you're doing. We will crack this you know :)
Hello Skycloud,
I am glad to hear that you are doing well with the tapering.

The tired but wired feeling is exactly how I am feeling right now, even when I rest in the afternoon I don't nod off!I can't now seem to rest properly I also wake early even though I havnt slept well . I feel like I have energy but I can't do much without crashing I also feel very Restless which is a horrible feeling.

I think you are right about staying on 12mg for a while yet, I don't think I am doing well with cutting the tablets and getting it accurate is a bit hit and miss! I have just had a quick look at dissolving it but can't get my head around it, my brain is really foggy.

I too go to bed at the same time each night, this insomnia is all new to me never had a problem before, so quess I have to just ride it out, just hope it doesn't make me feel more ill than I do!
If only I had known all this before I would never have took them.
Anyway hope you continue to do well with coming off, will be worth it in the end though I am sure.
Regards
Jessie

Jessie 107

Hello Skycloud,
Well, I am still on 12mg (roughly) next week will be four weeks. But I still find it hard to actually get off to sleep, once I get to sleep I'm usually ok. I go to bed about 10.45 and I am still awake until about 12.30 to 1.am sometimes! Last night I had to take half of a sleep tablet as I felt so ill with PEM that I just needed to sleep, most nights I don't take anything and just put up with it.
I really don't know if it is down to coming off the citalopram or just my sleep being altered by M. E.
The only other thing I have changed is that I used to be able to walk for about twenty minutes on reasonable days but now I can't do any walking, I use a scooter. So I am not using any energy, so whether this has something to do with it, I don't know.
Next week I will drop to 10 mg and see how that goes. Other than that I think I am ok, emotionally much the same if not abit better certainty not worse.
So how are you finding it? I hope you are sleeping better than I am!
What is your level of function?
Look forward to hearing from you,
Regards
Jessie.

Skycloud

Hello Skycloud,
I really don't know if it is down to coming off the citalopram or just my sleep being altered by M. E.

it's so tricky, isn't it @Jessie 107 . I've had a reoccurrence very recently of muscle spasms that I haven't had in a while and did wondered if citalopram was involved but I think it's probably the ME and an electrolyte issue . I've had some bad nights from them when I've overdone it, but over all my sleep is good enough.

My mood is ok too so that's a positive for both of us.

I'm sorry you're still not getting enough sleep; has it improved any at all? I'm sorry to that you're not able to do the walking that you used to. I'm sitting on the fence about getting a scooter actually. I really don't get out much and would like to more. I sometimes use a wheelchair for hospital visits and things like that. I can't walk far - gently for 10 minutes tops but I'd suffer for it. I think I'd get out more with a scooter. What kind do you use? Are you happy with it?

I think my level of function is a 3 maybe 4 going by the scale they use on this site. I can concentrate well for a few hours a day, and be gently active for maybe upto 3 hours across the day on a good day? I find it hard to say and it varies.

I'm about to try reducing to 10 mg too, from Monday. If you decide that 4 weeks from your last reduction isn't long enough (apparently it can take 6 weeks to adapt, but I don't remember now where I read that), I can hang on and 'keep you company' if you'd like :)

Last edited:

Jessie 107

it's so tricky, isn't it @Jessie 107 . I've had a reoccurrence very recently of muscle spasms that I haven't had in a while and did wondered if citalopram was involved but I think it's probably the ME and an electrolyte issue . I've had some bad nights from them when I've overdone it, but over all my sleep is good enough.

My mood is ok too so that's a positive for both of us.

I'm sorry you're still not getting enough sleep; has it improved any at all? I'm sorry to that you're not able to do the walking that you used to. I'm sitting on the fence about getting a scooter actually. I really don't get out much and would like to more. I sometimes use a wheelchair for hospital visits and things like that. I can't walk far - gently for 10 minutes tops but I'd suffer for it. I think I'd get out more with a scooter. What kind do you use? Are you happy with it?

I think my level of function is a 3 maybe 4 going by the scale they use on this site. I can concentrate well for a few hours a day, and be gently active for maybe upto 3 hours across the day on a good day? I find it hard to say and it varies.

I'm about to try reducing to 10 mg too, from Monday. If you decide that 4 weeks from your last reduction isn't long enough (apparently it can take 6 weeks to adapt, but I don't remember now where I read that), I can hang on and 'keep you company' if you'd like :)
Hello Skycloud,
For the last few days I have been getting alot of aching in my thigh muscles which I haven't had for a long time, I don't walk anywhere but I have overdone it in other ways so am paying for that now!

My sleeping has improved the last few days as well which is good.
So today I have dropped to 10mg I'm hoping this won't bring back the dreaded insomnia. We will see.

As for the scooter, it has made a lot of difference to me. My main reason for getting one was so I would be able to to take my dog's out, this is what I used to love to do before becoming ill, I would think nothing of walking 12000. Steps a day. Walking over the downs and through the woods with my dogs is what I really miss the most. I was a outdoor person,
So to be able to get out with them again is just so lovely they have become very good at walking along side the scooter, very clever these Border collies! When I come back I always feel my spirits lifted.
Wether I would have got one without the purpose of being out with the dogs I don't know, maybe I would have gone for a portable one that would go in the car then I would have been using it to go along the seafront with my Husband at weekends. So yes Its made my life better, the one I have is called' Rascal ' not sure which model. I got it online from shop second hand for £ 350 . and they delivered it. I would recommend getting one for sure.

Your level of function sounds like mine, I too use a wheelchair if I go out, which isn't that often unfortunately.

I am trying to rest today as tomorrow I have a appointment with the me/cfs clinic.

Good luck with continuing the tapering, we are half way there!!

Regards
Jessie

Skycloud

@Jessie 107
Dropping to 10 ml today too! Good luck to you too with the tapering, and I hope your appointment is helpful.

Thanks for the reply about your scooter - I'm really coming round to getting one. I'll look yours up.

Jessie 107

Yes I was doing very well on 10 mg and was sleeping really well and I generally felt ok.
So a few days ago I dropped to 7.5 mg and I have felt a bit all over the place emotionally, also every time I drop I get the dreaded insomnia back.
I am hoping I will stabilise after a while of being on this dose until I adjust again.
I do have alot of stress at the moment which is ongoing so I know this is not helping but for me I do feel abit worse than I did on the 10 mg. I was reading that it gets harder once you get to the lower doses than it is when you first start.
Anyway I hope you get on ok, we are all different. Do let me know how you are when you drop down.
Regards
Jessie

Skycloud

Yes I was doing very well on 10 mg and was sleeping really well and I generally felt ok.
So a few days ago I dropped to 7.5 mg and I have felt a bit all over the place emotionally, also every time I drop I get the dreaded insomnia back.
I am hoping I will stabilise after a while of being on this dose until I adjust again.
I do have alot of stress at the moment which is ongoing so I know this is not helping but for me I do feel abit worse than I did on the 10 mg. I was reading that it gets harder once you get to the lower doses than it is when you first start.
Anyway I hope you get on ok, we are all different. Do let me know how you are when you drop down.
Regards
Jessie

I haven't decided yet when to make my next change of dose; I'll certainly let you know when, and how I do :)