• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Constipation Treatment and vulva pain

Hello,

I have severe SIBO with constipation and KDM gave me Resolor to take.
Is someone ever tried it (it's very expensive) or anything else that improved your gut motility ?

I have also severe vulva and perineum pain but he does not think it is due to SIBO.
I have a lichen treated with a cortisone cream so I should not have pain, no ?

herpesbaby

I'm severely constipated. Will try enema tonight because I can't anymore. Nothing comes out. It's been couple of weeks I'm scared.

Coincidentally 2 weeks ago I changed pharmacy. My paranoia tells me I've been buying fake Valtrex and eating calcium instead of medicine which made me extremely constipated.

Last edited by a moderator:

kangaSue

Hello,

Is someone ever tried it (it's very expensive) or anything else that improved your gut motility ?

I have also severe vulva and perineum pain but he does not think it is due to SIBO.
It came up in another forum discussion about constipation that big pharma knows that most new meds aimed at improving constipation such as Resolor, Amitizia, Linzess and Trulance are useless for most people with severe constipation issues as they still all rely on a semi-functioning 'normal' system to control fluid movements to be effective.

If you join up to the AGMD GI Motility group at www.inspire.com, you will find a lot of discussions on the efficacy of the different meds. I can tell you that for all of them, there is no one superior one and it's a case of trial and error and for the most part, they still all require a cocktail of things to be taken at the same time too.

Constipation can be caused by Autonomic Neuropathy or too much methane production too.

There's any number of things that can cause the other pains you mention but something that I know of is left renal vein compression (Nutcracker Syndrome). If you have any sign of protein or blood in the urine or other mystery abdominal or left flank pain, give this a thought

pamojja

I take high doses of vitamin C and magnesium (~22 g and 1.5 g respectively, in avg. during the last 9 years) due to conditions it helps a lot (Mg-deficiency, PAD, Rhinitis..). Needless to say, as side-benefit got at least 3 bulky bowel-movements each day from that.

Recently my father complained about a 1 week constipation (usually he could every 3 days and found that normal) where no meds helped, and his pains intensified. Advised to at least try a glass of Mg-rich mineral water with a teaspoon of ascorbic acid powder in it (about 4 g). Though usually he doesn't follow my advises, now he follows it religiously :). At least every second day, considers everyday bowel-movements a bit too extreme.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Magnesium also helped me to resolve my problems with constipation. There is a fine line between taking too little (constipation) and too much (loose stools), but I need to take it every day to stay regular. Magnesium helps by drawing more water into the bowels to soften stool.

In my case I think I'm deficient in magnesium partly due to CFS/ME, since magnesium deficiency is common in people with CFS/ME, and partly due to daily Kefir consumption because extra calcium which can disrupt the calcium-magnesium balance in the body.

Basilico

Florida
When I was first working on fixing my gut, I had severe IBS-C where I would literally not have a BM for months, sometimes. I tried every OTC laxative and home remedy. Nothing really worked for me until I tried Hydro-C. I know I probably sound like a commercial, but after being so constipated for so long, I don't miss an opportunity to praise what actually worked for me.

The OTC laxatives like Miralax (which a gastroenterologist told me to try) were really harsh on my GI system and gave me cramps. Stuff like prune juice did nothing. Fiber supplements like psyllium, flax, bran, etc... made me much worse. The Hydro-C isn't harsh at all. I also got my FIL to start using it, because he's prone to constipation. He never takes vitamin C, so since he's generally deficient in it, he has to take it two or three times before it works. You can avoid this problem by just taking some ascorbic acid prior to taking the Hydro-C.

After taking the Hydro-C to get things moving, I incorporated some things from the gutsense website/Fiber Menace book (mainly eating low/no insoluble fiber) which made a huge difference for me. I made and consumed a lot of bone broth and took human-strain probiotics, which I think all worked together to improve things. Of the probiotics I took, Mutaflor was the one that made the biggest difference.

Over time, I got much much better, and I'm more or less normal now. Once in a blue moon I still get blocked up, and when I do I go back to Hydro-C and/or Mutaflor and then everything starts moving along normally again.

I tried substituting ascorbic acid for the Hydro-C but it never had the same effect for me.

https://www.gutsense.org/store/hydro-c-colonic-moisturizer.html

Last edited:

hellytheelephant

Hello,

Hi @Tichka

I am so sorry you are suffering with this-I do feel your pain quite literally- constipation is just hell on the pain and I have been known to sit on the loo in tears with a hot water bottle on my groin....I am also on anti-depressants, Tramadol and am able to do very little activity- all of which adds to the problem.
Someone on this site (@Dainty I think..) recommended glycerine suppositories and they are absolutely wonderful and don't contain any chemicals, just pure glycerine. They really 'get things moving' without any straining.
I also drink a load of water, I eat flax daily ( you can make flax cookies or sprinkle on fruit/yoghurt depending on what you can eat)

The other thing I take is Psillium. Not every day, but every couple of days. It is tasteless but like drinking a dust smoothie...but it adds bulk. It is incredibly cheap.

Hope any of this is helpful.:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Helly

Thanks for your answers. :hug:
It's not easy because with my irritated gut, I can't take anything that could get worse the situation.
Someone ever tried Dolcidium suppositories ?

Dainty

Someone on this site (@Dainty I think..) recommended glycerine suppositories and they are absolutely wonderful and don't contain any chemicals, just pure glycerine. They really 'get things moving' without any straining.

Glycerin suppositories are indeed awesome. I love them. But they're for short term use only. Maybe a doctor can recommend ways to safely use them over longer periods, if you take them under the doc's supervision. The danger with these is your body can lose the ability to poo on its own at all, and you become dependent on taking one every time you need to go.

I think 2 weeks is the maximum safe length of time recommended over the counter.

wonderoushope

I had constipation too for years, turns out I wasn't eating nearly enough fibre. I need to have at least a cup of lentils a day, plus vegetables and plenty of water. I now go at least once a day, but stool is not perfectly formed (always all over the place).

Firefly_

When I got sick with this and sibo I was constipated for 6 months. Nothing worked. Was taking high dose magnesium every day, didn't help. Miralax, exlax, nada. Even resorted to enemas. Didn't work. Dr Kaufman put me on Iberogast, you can get it from Amazon, 3 times a day. Can't remember how long it took maybe a few days but got me regular in a flash. That constipation is a bad deal, was poisoning myself. My functional med doc also recommends iberogast fwiw.

kelly8

Hi @Tichka ,
You've gotten a lot of good answers about constipation. I'm still working on that issue myself. Do you have lichen sclerosis? This is something I've been battling for years. If you want more info please pm and I can let you know what worked for me.