• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

pustular acne ... could this hold the answer??

MonkeyMan

Warning ... this post is graphic and probably "TMI" for the squeamish.

Whenever my CFS gets worse, I get pustular acne all over my face and chest. My body is clearly trying to get rid of something. The question is ... what is this Substance X that my system is so desperate to eliminate? Is there a lab somewhere that will analyze the pus (yechh!) and could determine what Substance X is? (Perhaps Substance X is even causing my CFS?!)

Any suggestions are most welcome.

lansbergen

I do not get pustular acne but noticed something is expelled during flares.
Can just be a waste product.

me/cfs 27931

My feeling is it's just another symptom of an immune system gone haywire.

For me, it's usually pustules or impetigo on my upper back or shoulders, but in the past, my face and neck as well. The pustules last weeks or the more severe ones months.

What helps me?
  • High dose vitamin D supplements (20000 IU daily for a week) or preferrably increased sun exposure. Possibly due to the role of Vitamin D as an immune modulator.
  • Temporarily avoiding hot showers and especially hot baths. Luke warm showers instead.
  • Betadine solution or colloidal silver on open sores.
Hygiene recommendations from doctors, such as more frequent washing with soap and water, washing sheets and pillowcases in hot water, etc have never been helpful for me. Doctors haven't prescribed me antibiotics for over a decade.

If it's any consolation, I've found the problem less frequent and severe as I've gotten older.

Last edited:

IreneF

My acne turned out to be hormonal, so there's that. It could be that something in your skin has changed that promotes the growth of acne-causing bacteria, or that your immune system is temporarily less efficient.

I don't think there's any evidence that acne indicates your body is trying to get rid of something. So you're unlikely to find substance x.

2% salicylic acid is good for keeping your skin clear. Also prevents ingrown hairs, if you shave. My husband uses it. I get it from a place called Paula's Choice on the web.

Seven7

Seven
I have the same but I react b12 so when I crash I tend to use more b12 which causes my acne( I am 100% sure is the b12)

pattismith

My acne turned out to be hormonal, so there's that. It could be that something in your skin has changed that promotes the growth of acne-causing bacteria, or that your immune system is temporarily less efficient.

I don't think there's any evidence that acne indicates your body is trying to get rid of something. So you're unlikely to find substance x.

2% salicylic acid is good for keeping your skin clear. Also prevents ingrown hairs, if you shave. My husband uses it. I get it from a place called Paula's Choice on the web.

Be careful with using salicylate cream, because it goes through the skin into the blood, and salicylates are toxic to mitochondria. It can raise your lactates levels, so if you have already a mitochondria or lacates problem, it shouldn't be used.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8876850

me/cfs 27931

Some people tell me eliminating dairy from their diet helps with acne. Couldn't hurt to try for a couple weeks if you've exhausted other options. Personally, I've never seen any benefit.

IreneF

Be careful with using salicylate cream, because it goes through the skin into the blood, and salicylates are toxic to mitochondria. It can raise your lactates levels, so if you have already a mitochondria or lacates problem, it shouldn't be used.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8876850
That report is about high concentrations of salicylate compounds used for pain relief, not low concentrations of salicylic acid used for skin care.