• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coyne on PACE Ethics committee chair Paul Dieppe - 8 July 2017

Global expert on distant and faith healing chaired PACE Data Monitoring and Ethics Committee

A few quotes to give a flavour of this astonishing news.

Paul Dieppe, the initial Chair of Data Monitoring and Ethics Committee for the PACE trial is also renowned as a “leading global voice in the understanding and advancement of energy/ spiritual healing.”

Most of my medical colleagues think I’ve gone completely barmy – Paul Dieppe

Renowned as a leading global voice in the understanding and advancement of energy/ spiritual healing

A 2015 interview shows him rejecting scientific methodology as old fashioned materialism. Instead as he favors anecdotes and embraces energy/spiritual healing.

At the time of the fateful shifting of scoring of subjective outcomes and downgrading of the status of objective outcomes, Dieppe more than anyone else was in a position to know how switching would effect results of the analyses of the data already collected. He supposedly reviewed analyses in closed meetings, excluding Principal Investigator Peter White, but he was also meeting White formally and informally.

https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...red-pace-data-monitoring-and-ethics-committee

Last edited:

SilverbladeTE

It's not funny, our nations are being over run with ideology and technocrats
Instead of the "jackboot stamping on a human face" as Orwell had it for "1984", instead it's a "think of the children!" collection of compassionless, wilfully blind bastards who'd utterly distort the concern and calling of the Physician and decent Human nature to falsely imprison, torture people to death etc convinced they are helping them....

A modern Day Inquisition and Witch Hunters is EXACTLY the right thing to call these hypocritical abusers.

PS
oh I "believe" in spiritual healing, after I've had several experiences with it I cannot reject what evidence I have seen, anecdotal evidence is of course not nearly sufficient, but a few trials have shown oddities beyond the expected norm (which would be zero outcome). When someone's hands grow as hot as over bricks, and make you and others feel better, reduce severity of infections...eh....I'd like answers, I'm not going to reject it nor would I bloody reject painkillers antibiotics or whatever.
This in no way makes me think that much of Conventional Medicine is wrong, don't folk get the difference between facts and belief?
I just keep my mind open that things are never as simple as they seem to be, but also YOU DON'T BLOODY ABUSE FOLK AND DENY THEM TREATMENT!

My Mum was a genuine Healer, she was also a bloody well qualified and experienced nurse who stopped several doctors botching things and killing patients and she also told people what was medically wrong with them without anyway she could have know and told them to *go get medical help* when they had something serious, her ability helped reduce pain, infections etc, it didn't "cure" people.
she saved one woman's life that way, no way my mum could have know she had fastest acting kind of cancer she had and she'd have been dead if she hadn't listened ot her warning and went and get checked and had a hysterectomy.

The difference between my Mum, who never took a f'ing PENNY for her spiritual healing and hated any advertising or any such abuse of her gift, and used her medical skills when folk were injured in traffic accidents etc near our home, when she herself was disabled by crippling injury, versus those QUACKS, is obscene.
ye GODS I DEPSISE THESE VERMIN WHO CALL THEMSELVES HEALERS AND PHYSICIANS AND BEHAVE SO FOULLY!! :mad:

meta-analysis..oh FFS, do proper long term trials, meta analysis is garbage if you dare try using it for solid conclusions because you never did the damn research so you don't know it's validity in fact, in toto!
Meta-analysis and the good old but WAY over used and grossly misunderstood "Occam's Razor" are tools to find valuable things to research into, ways to streamline limited budgets and time, doesn't mean some weird thing is wrong (which many who use Occam's Razor badly bloody don't get), it's just understanding you have limited people and money etc so try to get the best of your capability by going down the most likely trails first.

Sigh, one needs " bangs head on wall smiley" about 40' high lol :p

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
You could not make it up, could you.

This is weird. Paul Dieppe preceded me as a research fellow at Bart's, where we developed a sense of mutual respect. Paul was helpful in many ways in my career. He asked me if I would like to apply for the Professorship of Rheumatology at Bristol when he moved on. He supported me when I came under fire from US colleagues for stealing their limelight. He stood out as one of the sharpest brains in rheumatology in the 1980s. But it seems he has gone barmy - as he says. I wish him well but unlike Paul and Donald Trump I cling on to a belief that some things are true and others are not and that one can find reasonably reliable evidence for that.

What nobody told us as kids was that Gulliver's Travels is all about this. Time to re-read Jonathan Swift.

This is weird. Paul Dieppe preceded me as a research fellow at Bart's, where we developed a sense of mutual respect. Paul was helpful in many ways in my career. He asked me if I would like to apply for the Professorship of Rheumatology at Bristol when he moved on. He supported me when I came under fire from US colleagues for stealing their limelight. He stood out as one of the sharpest brains in rheumatology in the 1980s. But it seems he has gone barmy - as he says. I wish him well but unlike Paul and Donald Trump I cling on to a belief that some things are true and others are not and that one can find reasonably reliable evidence for that.

What nobody told us as kids was that Gulliver's Travels is all about this. Time to re-read Jonathan Swift.
A real shame by the sound of it; a really good person who seems to have lost the plot along the way. He of course is perfectly entitled to do this, but it all goes horribly wrong if the BPS brigade have potentially button-holed him as a biased-in-reality but independent-by-qualification assessor of trial ethics etc.

jimells

I'm happy for Dr Dieppe that he was able to cure his knee troubles by thinking the right thoughts or something - I couldn't quite tell from the article exactly what his treatment was.

But I get more symptom relief from studying the scientific research and applying that knowledge than I do from trying to stop thinking the wrong thoughts, which this post is probably an example of...

SilverbladeTE

More and more each day that passes, yes especially seeing the Orange Wibbly Womble in charge of a nuclear super power (like duh?! :confused::wide-eyed: ), I think somehow we all woke up in the wrong universe!
yes we went to sleep one night maybe in late 70s or early 80s and everything since then has been some kind of sci-fi/alternate history nightmare!
Which, despite seeing utterly barmy, is LESS insane than the Reality we some how seem to have been lumped with, hm?

Keep expecting to hear someone rattle my window early one morning, look out, and there's Eric Idle and he'll say: "Suckered you, mate, didn't we?" ;)

SilverbladeTE

Maybe he spent too much time with the PACE authors? :D

sniffing-glue.jpg

"Picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!" :p

Last edited by a moderator: