• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tickplex a new test for Lyme and Co-infection

Hugo

The admin labs website now says the new test will be available from the first week of May. Not too long! I hope I can figure out a way to have the test done on me here in the UK.

Also does anyone know if this is for chronic lyme or for more recent infections?

https://www.arminlabs.com/en/news/tickplex

Its for chronic lyme aswell. Its been delayed many times so I hope it will be ready in May.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Any July updates please if this test is coming in the next few months?

Would be nice to know for those planning on saving up $$$ and blood if it's imminently released or still in the final stages of public release.

Can't find anything on their website or Facebook.

Ideally to save money we want people to be assay guinea pigs and let us know here if their past IgG Serology negative and/or low level 'SI' LTT positive tests are now markedly 'TickPlex' positive with alleged superior detection technology.

I very much doubt it in Chronic Cases (Intracellular pathogens of this nature evades the immune system), but lets see.

Thank you.

Helen

@Research 1st
I´m also surprised that there is no further information about the test.
Did you see the e-mail addresses in this link, if you´d like to contact them?
They might be on vacation from next week as so many others in Scandinavia will be.

http://tezted.com/

Last edited:
I contacted them and they said soon a few weeks ago. They said the would contact me when it's ready. I've been holding off, but am thinking of getting a western blot.

Hugo

Any July updates please if this test is coming in the next few months?

Would be nice to know for those planning on saving up $$$ and blood if it's imminently released or still in the final stages of public release.

Can't find anything on their website or Facebook.

Ideally to save money we want people to be assay guinea pigs and let us know here if their past IgG Serology negative and/or low level 'SI' LTT positive tests are now markedly 'TickPlex' positive with alleged superior detection technology.

I very much doubt it in Chronic Cases (Intracellular pathogens of this nature evades the immune system), but lets see.

Thank you.

As I understand it can track chronic cases because its more sensitive and would need less antibodies. But I dont know to much about this test.

I contacted armin labs and at that time they said that the big tickplex test (20 pathogens as I understand it) will come in a month from mid juni when I sent the mail. I dont know if a smaller test is available now because they sent me this an order form in pdf.

Attachments

• Order Form 1.5.pdf
    971.7 KB · Views: 37

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
As I understand it can track chronic cases because its more sensitive and would need less antibodies. But I dont know to much about this test.

I contacted armin labs and at that time they said that the big tickplex test (20 pathogens as I understand it) will come in a month from mid juni when I sent the mail. I dont know if a smaller test is available now because they sent me this an order form in pdf.

Thank you for the PDF, it's a relief to see it exists and is just waiting to be finalized.

I see the Tickplex Test Plus test appears to be 9 different tests on the form, maybe there is a 20 version coming later as you said but this will probably cost a lot more that 500 euros.

Interesting to see they can detect viruses as well (EBV), which might be interesting to see if this is ever positive in people here who are always EBV negative with other assays.

From what I can guess, the Tickplex can detect cyst forms of bacteria and this is probably why people say it's for 'Chronic Lyme' because if indeed it can detect cyst forms, these certainly won't be an infection that has left the body, or conversely also won't be 'new'.

Potentially, this test could be a 'game changer', but as with everything else, lets see how it works out for us all when we test ourselves.

Personally speaking if I went from a weak positive Arminlabs LTT/ITT to a strong positive antibody Tickplex, then this would be evidence the tests can indeed detect Chronic forms Lyme and it's co infections.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
I contacted them and they said soon a few weeks ago. They said the would contact me when it's ready. I've been holding off, but am thinking of getting a western blot.

Thanks for contacting them.

If you have previous negative WB serology/ELisa and were thinking of getting a WB test I would get this first, and then if positive see if you can try and get the Ceres Nano Lyme antigen urine test.

If you had a positive Tickplex test (Antibody) showing Cyst forms for example, and then a positive urine antigen test as well (showing active infection) then combined, you would have undeniable evidence of a Chronic Lyme infection.

Thanks for contacting them.

If you have previous negative WB serology/ELisa and were thinking of getting a WB test I would get this first, and then if positive see if you can try and get the Ceres Nano Lyme antigen urine test.

If you had a positive Tickplex test (Antibody) showing Cyst forms for example, and then a positive urine antigen test as well (showing active infection) then combined, you would have undeniable evidence of a Chronic Lyme infection.

Thanks for the info.

I had an UK NHS test which was negative but I had heard they were unreliable, I think it's unlikely I have Lyme I rarely went to places where I could get bitten and I have no recollection of ever being bitten. I'm just after the single most reliable test preferably cheap to rule it out.

Should I just get a western blot? Any recommendations where to get one from?

Thanks

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Any sensitivity/specificity data on this test?

Hi, I found it:

Re: Borrelia (Lyme) sensitivity etc....

Sensitivity: 95%
Specificity: 98%
False Positive: 0.6%
False Negative: 3%
PPV: 99%
NPV: 99%
95% Confidence Interval

See:A multiplex and multifunctional enzyme linked immunosorbent
assay for microbes associated with tick-borne diseases

Source: http://tezted.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Tickplex-Validation-Paper.pdf

Hope that helps.

P.S The UK NHS ELISA Antibody Borrelia test made by Trinity Biotech has a 56% sensitivity rating meaning false negative reporting rates are vast and Borrelia infection is vastly under reported in the UK.

Last edited:

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Does anyone know which strains of Borrelia are covered by this Tickplex test?

Your wish is my command Sir. :)

Lyme disease:
Borrelia Burgdorferi
Borrelia Afzelii
Borrelia Garinii
Borrelia Burgdorferi (persistent form)
Borrelia Afzelii (persistent form)
Borrelia Garinii (persistent form)

Lyme co-infections: (The more expensive Tickplex Plus + Premium assays).
Babesia Microtii
Bartonella Henselae
Ehrlichia Chaffeensis
Rickettsia Akarai
Chlamydia Pneumonia
Chlaymdia Trachomatis
Coxsackievirus
Cytomegalovirus
EBV
Parvovirus B19
Mycoplasma Pneumonia

That makes 17 above they reference in their paper. Tickplex Premium is 20 though.
I am guessing the 'missing 3' are the following but don't quote me, this is speculation.

Mycoplasma Fermentas
Brucella Abortus
Ticke-borne Encephalitis

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Thanks for the info.

I had an UK NHS test which was negative but I had heard they were unreliable, I think it's unlikely I have Lyme I rarely went to places where I could get bitten and I have no recollection of ever being bitten. I'm just after the single most reliable test preferably cheap to rule it out.
Should I just get a western blot? Any recommendations where to get one from?

Thanks

1) Sero negative Lyme doesn't mean you don't have it or do have it either. Catch 22.

If your body fails to make antibodies no test will detect it.The UK NHS test is indeed useless because it has a sensitivity rate of 56%. This means if 100 people catch a bus to a blood draw centre who are confirmed antibody positive through other means, 44 of them go home with a false negative test result. In other words, the NHS test isn't fit for purpose even if your body does make antibodies. Antibodies are good. You want a strong antibody response not a null response or the infection goes un-noticed and goes out of control and ends up damaging your brain, some argue this is 'ME'. Indeed Borrelia untreated can lead to neuroborreolosis and this itself can cause an Encephalomyeltis. ME uses the same term, just bolting on 'Myalgic'. Chronic Lyme also can cause 'Myalgic'. So until we know what ME is, and can differentiate it from the contested Chronic Lyme, no one knows what the hell is going on. The governments response is to tell BOTH groups they are neurotic and to try and capture them within CFS/MUPS/PUPS/PPS and prescribe CBT and GET.

2) CDC agrees Lyme (like CFS) is a clinical diagnosis, but again, all NATO allied countries ignore this advice.
For example. The issue in the UK is the CDC's own website makes it clear a negative test is not necessary for a clinical diagnosis of Lyme (CFS is also a clinical diagnosis remember), but the NHS ignore this and won't diagnose Lyme with a negative test, aka seronegative Lyme. See my points above, and we end up in one big mess as paradoxically the most severely ill won't make antibodies and need treating first on high dose IV antibiotics for months before they then test positive. AKA The Lyme diagnostic Paradox.

THE FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEM WE ARE ALL IN TOGETHER,YET WE THINK AFFECTS THEM NOT US!

1)CFS are told they are neurotic,to do CBT/GET and they will recover in time - a lie.
CFS thus doesn't exist. No funding is given for research, only 'fatigue' research.CFS isn't 'fatigue' though CFS is a label given to humans by others who don't believe they are organically ill (Fukuda Criteria states no EXPLAINED reason for Fatigue can be present). Well ME and Lyme like disease, has about 50+ proven reasons using tests.
Of note, Fukuda CDC CFS does not require testing. Strange that....

2)CFS patients aren't screened for Lyme - outrageous as CFS and Lyme are highly similar.

3) Government deny Chronic Lyme anyway, and only accept Lyme that is treated within a few weeks with AB's.
No appropriate levels of funding is given for research. Chronic Lyme patients told they have CFS or depressed etc. (Exactly what happens to CFS patients).

4) No diagnostic test is funded or backed by Government for either illness. Both patient groups used in propaganda in the media or in professional circles as patients who 'believe' in physical cause as mentally ill and not worthy of help, unless this help is psychiatry.

5) Lyme or Lyme like tests are unreliable even for the tiny percentage who do get tested - more people left in limbo.

6) Private tests ignored or denied by Government. CDC famously claimed the Advanced Labs Lyme Culture test is contaminated, yet never even tested this theory, just presumed it. Incredible disingenuous behavior and quite reckless. They also claimed the CFS retrovirus assay in 1990 by Elaine De Freitas was contaminated, and also didn't test this, again, just a claim, a story, they massaged into fact that media can use against patients who 'believe' they are organically ill.

7) If the infection has evaded your immune system you will test false negative anyway which means?

Tens of millions with a Lyme like disease really could end up diagnosed with a presumed neurotic (CBT/GET) fear or exercise CFS when they don't. Ergo,'CFS' doesn't exist as 'CFS' but as a untreated post infectious, autoimmune disease that is neglected and untreated.

Hugo

Thank you for the PDF, it's a relief to see it exists and is just waiting to be finalized.

I see the Tickplex Test Plus test appears to be 9 different tests on the form, maybe there is a 20 version coming later as you said but this will probably cost a lot more that 500 euros.

Interesting to see they can detect viruses as well (EBV), which might be interesting to see if this is ever positive in people here who are always EBV negative with other assays.

From what I can guess, the Tickplex can detect cyst forms of bacteria and this is probably why people say it's for 'Chronic Lyme' because if indeed it can detect cyst forms, these certainly won't be an infection that has left the body, or conversely also won't be 'new'.

Potentially, this test could be a 'game changer', but as with everything else, lets see how it works out for us all when we test ourselves.

Personally speaking if I went from a weak positive Arminlabs LTT/ITT to a strong positive antibody Tickplex, then this would be evidence the tests can indeed detect Chronic forms Lyme and it's co infections.

Yes if Tickplex would detect an antibody reaction on the cyst form I guess it would find chronic cases. Better still if this Elisa can detect antigens of an cystform it will find the bacteria itself. Elisa is generally to my knowledge not as good at finding the bacteria itself like an PCR, but this test seems to be very sensitive.

Last edited:

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
I would say that depends on if you mean Lyme where you are bitten by a tick, or 'Chronic Lyme' where you often aren't and have a diagnosis of ME CFS and sick for decades and your parents/siblings are sick too.

I'd argue they are two separate conditions although as the research isn't published yet I have no evidence for that statement. What seems to be the case is the LPS of Borrelia in Chronic cases, is different. I don't know if this is by man (biowarfare) or nature. We shall see I guess.

If the LPS is not seen by the immune system it will cause your to become very sick, rapidly. By coincidence many PWME report sudden onset and can name the month 20 years later when they fell ill with a strange 'flu like illness that never went away'. Well Chronic Lyme patients report this too. Just thought that was worth remembering if CFS ME sufferers think they are unique in how they got sick with a condition that causes crushing exhaustion made worse by activity and then leads to almost every symptom you can imagine, fluctuating, moving around your body.

For the Chronic cases? Then the patients are largely screwed and this is why there are so many 'non approved' methods such as LTT looking for an immune response via cytokines, because these are the lengths patients have to go to, to provide at least some evidence of infection as they harbor stealth infections that escape detection with conventional assays. One you get an intracellular infections like Cpn, you won't make antibodies. This is a big issue as PWME/Chronic Lyme often have these but have negative antibody tests results, but positive LTT method. The government then engage in hypocrisy by slating LTT as useless, but oddly do approve LTT for Q-Fever. Q-Fever being a Lyme co infection.

As it stands, it seems Tickplex may be the Holy Grail for future Chronic Lyme testing (no one else currently offers this). To my knowledge, no one on here has tested yet? Also I would look out for another method of detection which is a chip based assay: Hybrispot from Master diagnostica, which is a blot type test but with PCR/blot.

http://www.masterdiagnostica.com/en...lowtechnology/tick-bornebacteriaflowchip.aspx

So I would wait for Tickplex, Hybrispot and in the mean time try the nano urine test in the USA if the conventional 2-tier ELISA/WB tests fail as they likely will if you've been sick for years especially.

http://www.ceresnano.com/nanotrap-lyme-test

I still think it's inevitable some novel Borrelia test linked to ME CFS HERV autoimmunity and biomarkers, will appear, at least in research, sooner rather than later. That's what we need to separate ourselves from the classical lyme issue vs chronic issue that won't go away and is in stalemate politically.

IreneF

I would say that depends on if you mean Lyme where you are bitten by a tick, or 'Chronic Lyme' where you often aren't and have a diagnosis of ME CFS and sick for decades and your parents/siblings are sick too.

I'd argue they are two separate conditions although as the research isn't published yet I have no evidence for that statement. What seems to be the case is the LPS of Borrelia in Chronic cases, is different. I don't know if this is by man (biowarfare) or nature. We shall see I guess.

If the LPS is not seen by the immune system it will cause your to become very sick, rapidly. By coincidence many PWME report sudden onset and can name the month 20 years later when they fell ill with a strange 'flu like illness that never went away'. Well Chronic Lyme patients report this too. Just thought that was worth remembering if CFS ME sufferers think they are unique in how they got sick with a condition that causes crushing exhaustion made worse by activity and then leads to almost every symptom you can imagine, fluctuating, moving around your body.

For the Chronic cases? Then the patients are largely screwed and this is why there are so many 'non approved' methods such as LTT looking for an immune response via cytokines, because these are the lengths patients have to go to, to provide at least some evidence of infection as they harbor stealth infections that escape detection with conventional assays. One you get an intracellular infections like Cpn, you won't make antibodies. This is a big issue as PWME/Chronic Lyme often have these but have negative antibody tests results, but positive LTT method. The government then engage in hypocrisy by slating LTT as useless, but oddly do approve LTT for Q-Fever. Q-Fever being a Lyme co infection.

As it stands, it seems Tickplex may be the Holy Grail for future Chronic Lyme testing (no one else currently offers this). To my knowledge, no one on here has tested yet? Also I would look out for another method of detection which is a chip based assay: Hybrispot from Master diagnostica, which is a blot type test but with PCR/blot.

http://www.masterdiagnostica.com/en...lowtechnology/tick-bornebacteriaflowchip.aspx

So I would wait for Tickplex, Hybrispot and in the mean time try the nano urine test in the USA if the conventional 2-tier ELISA/WB tests fail as they likely will if you've been sick for years especially.

http://www.ceresnano.com/nanotrap-lyme-test

I still think it's inevitable some novel Borrelia test linked to ME CFS HERV autoimmunity and biomarkers, will appear, at least in research, sooner rather than later. That's what we need to separate ourselves from the classical lyme issue vs chronic issue that won't go away and is in stalemate politically.

zzz0r

Well tickplex is added on the armin labs form. Is that the one you have been waiting for? WHat is the difference between tickplex and seraspot or elispot?

Attachments

• Order Form 1.5 (1).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 16