• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Got my results from De Chia's lab

Dechi

I finally got my results from My gastric biopsy sent to Dr. Chia's lab for analysis.

Here it is :
STOMACH. C1 Enterovirus-specific antibody: Positive (1+)

2 out of 2 pieces of stomach biopsies tested positive for enteroviral protein indicating enterovirus infection. Double stranded RNA by J2 specific antibody also found in the same tissue. Note: The positive and negative controls (stomach tissues) stained appropriately.

2+ Positive = cells stained > 50%* 1+ Positive = cells stained <50%** Negative = no staining*** * Greater than 50% of the cells stained positive for the enteroviral vp1 protein
** Less than 50% of the cells stained positive for the enteroviral vp1 protein

I am 1+ which means less than 50% of the cells positives, which probably explain why I am moderate.

I have no idea what J2 antibody is and what it means that it is found in the tissues.

Anybody has knowledge about that ? Also, since this test doesn't say which enterovirus, what should be the next step to find out ? Where do I go from here ?

Last edited:

halcyon

I have no idea what J2 antibody is and what it means that it is found in the tissues.
J2 is an antibody used in immunoassays to detect double stranded RNA. Many viruses form double stranded configurations as part of normal replication, but it has been found with persistent enterovirus infections that a lot of double stranded RNA hangs around in the cells and may be part of how the virus persists so well avoiding enzymatic degradation.

Anybody has knowledge about that ? Also, since this test doesn't say which enterovirus, what should be the next step to find out ? Where do I go from here ?
The antibodies used in Chia's test are targeted at conserved regions of enterovirus VP1 protein, so the test can detect most enteroviruses but can't tell you what serotype it is. You need neutralizing serology to figure out which serotype you are infected with. At this point it may not matter much what serotype it is because there aren't a whole lot of compounds you can take to treat it.

Nickster

I finally got my results from My gastric biopsy sent to Dr. Chia's lab for analysis.

Here it is :
STOMACH. C1 Enterovirus-specific antibody: Positive (1+)

2 out of 2 pieces of stomach biopsies tested positive for enteroviral protein indicating enterovirus infection. Double stranded RNA by J2 specific antibody also found in the same tissue. Note: The positive and negative controls (stomach tissues) stained appropriately.

2+ Positive = cells stained > 50%* 1+ Positive = cells stained <50%** Negative = no staining*** * Greater than 50% of the cells stained positive for the enteroviral vp1 protein
** Less than 50% of the cells stained positive for the enteroviral vp1 protein

I am 1+ which means less than 50% of the cells positives, which probably explain why I am moderate.

Interesting. So what treatment does Dr Chia recommend?
Hoping you can find relief and hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Dechi

@Nickster Thank you.

I am not a patient of Dr Chia. My gastric biopsy was sent to him by Dr Hyde as part of investigating the causes of my ME.

I should be speaking with Dr Hyde soon, I hope, and will find out what the next steps are. I know Dr Chia offers treatments, and will discuss it with Dr Hyde.

Dechi

J2 is an antibody used in immunoassays to detect double stranded RNA. Many viruses form double stranded configurations as part of normal replication, but it has been found with persistent enterovirus infections that a lot of double stranded RNA hangs around in the cells and may be part of how the virus persists so well avoiding enzymatic degradation.

The antibodies used in Chia's test are targeted at conserved regions of enterovirus VP1 protein, so the test can detect most enteroviruses but can't tell you what serotype it is. You need neutralizing serology to figure out which serotype you are infected with. At this point it may not matter much what serotype it is because there aren't a whole lot of compounds you can take to treat it.

Thank you ! :)

I would like to know, even just for the sake of it. But also because if I can put a name on it, maybe I can find a specific treatment that worked for someone with the same infection. At least it would give me some kind of hope. I just hope it doesn't cost a fortune, those tests are really adding up...