• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Self Decode"

Horizon

Came across this website www.selfdecode.com for $19 a month that purports to be much better than the rest, subscription can be cancelled at any time. Is this worth my 1 month investment? I have done all the others and still not sure if I can glean more info from this program?

Horizon

Not to pester but I really wanna do this so if anyone has any insights, opinions now is the time LOL. If I can do it for one month seems worth it, I am desperate lol.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Don't know anything about this company. Understand the desperation.
I would expect at this point in time some of their info will be in error this is not a well understood field.

And this: We also know that with the right information and awareness, it is possible to completely transform your health and wellbeing.
I think that statement is disingenuous as it implies that their info will do this without while making a general irrefutable statement thus promising a bit more than can be delivered.

Its by Joe Cohen of selfhacked.com. I'v tried it. It has some interesting features but is in beta and quite "work in progress". It gave me some new insights and it a bit different from other sites since it is no so much focused on the MTHFR genes but a more generic approach. I will probably not keep up the subscription but maybe revisit again in a year or so to see how it develops.

Horizon

It is very interesting but still beyond my limited understanding and am finding out more info but agree it is in beta and curious to see where it goes from here.

Helen

I just received an offer to get my 23andme result analyzed by SelfDecode.

@Valentijn , or anyone, do you have any comment on their analyze and its possible value?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Unfortunately being desperate means your more likely to chase rabbits down holes and waste money you will wish you hadn't later.
Its unlikely this test will tell you anything you don't know now, and its rather likely it will give you unrelated data that you spend more time and money chasing before realizing its a dead end.
Sometimes we just have to make peace with our conditions and hold on until the future brings us more information and preferably a treatment.
There are some supplements that can help a bit but unless you have something other then ME/CFS there is not much else available yet :cry:

Helen

@Alvin2, I agree with you, although there are some information from the rather limited tests of SNP´s or CYP´s that might be useful. I think whatever the cause of ME/CFS will be proved to be, we still have individual genetic variations with impact on our health.

As an example, the subgroup that Wilfred De Vega and his research group found out about a genetic sensitivity to glucocorticoids among a significant group of PWME is quite interesting and important I think.

@Valentijn, thanks. Would you recommend any other site? I recall that some other program has been recommended on the forum, but maybe noone is reliable.

Edit: Thanks @adreno.

Valentijn

@Valentijn, thanks. Would you recommend any other site? I recall that some other program has been recommended on the forum, but maybe noone is reliable.
Prometheus from SNPedia seems pretty good. There's also my downloadable program from https://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/ but that's only looking at rare results, with no research interpretations, and is most useful in looking for pathogenic mutations.

Paralee

I wouldn't bother. From what I've seen of self-hacked, they don't really know what they're doing.

Of all the "luck"! I just finished taking notes (a full page) from self hacked on the BDNF variants. Dang it.

Edit: I may be thinking of another one. I pulled up the link and it looked different.