• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does the organic acids test help?

Hi everyone,

Just got back from my GP, who is, all in all, quite good and well above your average narrow minded doctor.

He strongly discouraged me from doing the organic acids test, saying he'd done it many times and that he can't remember it helping anyone, though he'd do it if I insisted.

Are there people who've been helped by it?

overtheedge

I've been considering it, I looked over the interpretive guide for the gdx Organix profile and found a lot of therapies they suggest to correct problems are ones that have helped me such as CoQ10, Carnitine, Cysteine. The test costs a bit so I have considered testing the supplements without doing the test, considering that organic acids deal a lot with mitochondria and ATP and many of the supplements that have helped me have focused in this area I figure it's worth a shot. If you don't think your problem is in the area that organic acids would cover it might not be worth doing the test or testing the supplements

Here is the interpretive guide with the recommended therapies for the one I've been testing
https://www.gdx.net/core/interpretive-guides/Organix-IG.pdf

it's annoying how some doctors run tests but never give you the interpretive guide with it so beyond their recommendations you have no idea what's going on. usually have to find them on google.

come to think of it I did have an organic acid test run through designs for health labs years ago but never tested the supplements they recommended so I can't say how important it could have been. That version recommended that I take glutathione as I had a high sulfate level, it showed my EFA's were all out of whack and recommended krill oil or fish oil, said I had been exposed to a bad amount of solvents which I probably had at that point in time and said I had some food allergies though I never have noticed any such allergies, to be fair they did say the allergies I had were mild, so, maybe

Last edited:
Thank you.

I'm interested whether people can say: yes it helped me a whole lot, or whether such people are indeed quite thinly spread.

Mij

I had several profiles done years ago including amino acids, antioxidant, OA EFA's and also had a 'custom formula' made for me to help 'fix' the imbalances. It was expensive and I did not feel any better or different.

The only test I found helpful was the RBC fatty acids which indicated almost nonexistent Omega 3's despite taking a variety of plant based oils when I should have been taking fish oils instead. After 2 months of taking the recommended fish oils I felt improvement in symptoms.

I also started taking digestive enzymes which helped with absorption from foods.

helen1

Yes! It helped me a lot with gut health especially. I didn't believe there was anything I could do about my gut (I was severely constipated always and often bloated). But the OAT showed me specifically what was wrong with my gut. Based on that I was able to treat it and improve my digestive health by about 70 percent.

The MMA (methylmalonic acid) part of the test was also useful as it's the best assessment of B12 levels and that showed I was deficient. I wouldn't have guessed I needed B12 otherwise.

There were other deficiencies that came up but treating them hasn't proved as helpful.

@Chans

Oberon

Does anyone have any research that showcases the scientific validity of Organic Acid Tests? I've always been a bit skeptical of them due to their third party lab nature.

Oberon

How strange that the OAT test is discouraged. I think that Cate has discovered an issue with Candida overgrowth with that test.

That's actually one of the reasons I question the validity of organic acid tests. I completed the Organix OAT that showed my D-Arabinitol level as high and was told I have a Candida problem. Yet my stool test from Doctor's Data showed no yeast at all. I've tried several anti-candida supplements with no help in symptoms.

There's a good thread discussing OAT here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/oat-organic-acid-testing-is-it-quakery.48770/

Last edited:
That's actually one of the reasons I question the validity of organic acid tests. I completed the Organix OAT that showed my D-Arabinitol level as high and was told I have a Candida problem. Yet my stool test from Doctor's Data showed no yeast at all. I've tried several anti-candida supplements with no help in symptoms.

I believe you, but since anti-candida remedies are otherwise benign, I don't see the harm in trying them to see if they can improve gut symptoms. If they don't work, then you've learned something and haven't compromised your health.

mrmichaelfreedmen

There's a good thread discussing OAT here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/oat-organic-acid-testing-is-it-quakery.48770/

You can definitely have a Candida problem and have it NOT show up on stool tests.