• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stressful events but feeling better. Why ?

Dechi

i have been feeling almost normal for the past 4 days. Before that, for 10 days I could only concentrate for 20 minutes before getting a headache and brain fog. My symptoms fluctuate a lot, but when I'm not sleeping, I'm never in good shape,

4 days ago my little dog became sick and I had to take her to the vet, back and forth for 1 whole day. Then the next day for a few hours. She was really sick and I was worried so I was only sleeping 4-5 hours per night. The third day she stayed home, I monitored her and was hoping she would get better but she was getting more restless and was in so much pain she didn't want us to touch her. That night again I didn't sleep much. Then 4th day, the poor little thing is screaming in pain so my decision is made, it's time to let her go. So I call a vet who comes home and we let her go as peacefully as possible.

Now we're on day 5 and I'm still not sleeping much, having insomnia but still doing better than before and feeling practically normal. Except for my sadness and crying a lot.

What is this ? Anyone had that before ? Is it adrenalin keeping me going ? Am I cured from crying too much ?

Marigold7

i have been feeling almost normal for the past 4 days. Before that, for 10 days I could only concentrate for 20 minutes before getting a headache and brain fog. My symptoms fluctuate a lot, but when I'm not sleeping, I'm never in good shape,

4 days ago my little dog became sick and I had to take her to the vet, back and forth for 1 whole day. Then the next day for a few hours. She was really sick and I was worried so I was only sleeping 4-5 hours per night. The third day she stayed home, I monitored her and was hoping she would get better but she was getting more restless and was in so much pain she didn't want us to touch her. That night again I didn't sleep much. Then 4th day, the poor little thing is screaming in pain so my decision is made, it's time to let her go. So I call a vet who comes home and we let her go as peacefully as possible.

Now we're on day 5 and I'm still not sleeping much, having insomnia but still doing better than before and feeling practically normal. Except for my sadness and crying a lot.

What is this ? Anyone had that before ? Is it adrenalin keeping me going ? Am I cured from crying too much ?

adrenaline and shock is my idea. I have known the same so many times. We rise to crises. That is how i managed the house move from hell six months ago. We are "wondrously made" ...

Skippa

Anti-BS
Woah I'm so sorry about your dog, that story took an upsetting turn quite quickly :(

My little buddy died nearly 2 months ago, and the same as you mentioned CFS symptoms seemed to go by the wayside, grief, shock, adrenalin pumping just made it all a blur, but not a blur where I thought "damn, I'm tired".

My sincerest condolenses on losing your little loved one, they are so special to us, they are little persons.

Just hang on to all those good memories, belly rubs, being told off with little gruffs etc ;)

Grief is a really strange phenomenom, having some very weird physical effects, so any symptoms (or lack of) for a couple of weeks are gonna be out of whack and can't be relied upon to have any specific significance.

And shock. You might be having a bunch of shock stuff too. 4 days is not a lot to come to terms with having to let a little fur buddy go...

Invisible Woman

@Dechi I am so sorry you have lost your bestie. It is a very hard and traumatic experience. I think in many ways it is worse for those of us stuck at home, ill for so much of the time. Our dogs (& cats) give us so much love and support in their own ways. It takes time to process such a loss.

In my earlier days, when I had a bit more bounce back, I used to experience the same thing. When pushed, I could rise to an emergency. Based on my own experience I would advise caution. For me it was borrowed energy and there would always be a massive payback. It's difficult because, instinctively, I would want to use some of that energy to distract myself from grief or the emotional distress.

:hug:

Pen2

Support, Good Medicine.
@Dechi, so sorry about letting go of your little friend, your child. We love our animals like any family.

When I lost my Mom just over a year ago, I had the same energy. I had to be there for her in her last days. Step up for her when she needed an advocate. Hold her hand floor her last breaths.
Then arrange and go through her funeral.

How do we do it!? It seems a mystery.... I thought I was healed from
this disease!!

Maybe it's just a gift we get when we need it most, because we are caring.

Hope you are doing ok. Letting your baby go was caring.....loving.:(

bombsh3ll

I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. I can also relate to being temporarily able to function at a higher level at times of crisis, and being surprised at feeling better at a time when one would actually expect to feel worse. There can be payback later for having this brief boost, so do look after yourself during this difficult time. And you definitely did the kindest thing for your loyal friend.

Marigold7

Thank you so much for your kind responses. It all males more sense now.

I had to be her carer in the last month. Carrying her everywhere so she wouldn't hurt herself. She was only 4 pounds, so I could do it. The void is terrible.

a thousand HUGS. I always had multiple cats so that there would be no total void. Always those who needed me.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It does sound like adrenalin rising. I think it always lurks in the background ready for emergencies. I think we have got used to avoiding it's everyday use (for good reason). Sounds like you've had a big hit. I hope the payback isn't too harsh..... that's probably all you need right now.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your companion.

You might be feeling better if your blood pressure has increased due to stress. It depends on whether your BP is usually low or normal. Low BP rising to normal (or even close to normal) would probably leave you feeling much better.

Dechi

You might be feeling better if your blood pressure has increased due to stress. It depends on whether your BP is usually low or normal. Low BP rising to normal (or even close to normal) would probably leave you feeling much better.

I have naturally low BP. My meds increase it a bit but I forgot to take it many times in the past few days. This makes a lot of sense.

I am not feeling so good today. :-( Dizziness, nausea and my body feels like a ton of bricks.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Dechi - I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. You did the best possible thing for her and yet it's one of the hardest things we ever have to do.

I'm wondering if your cortisol (as well as adrenaline) is temporarily raised due to stress. If your cortisol is normally low, you will be chronically tired. So this might be an indication that your adrenals need support - have you ever done an Adrenal Stress Index Test (saliva test which measures cortisol throughout the day/evening)? Or had anyone do anything for your adrenals? Several years ago I was chronically exhausted and it turned out that my adrenals were wiped out. I was given an adrenal glandular (Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process) and within a few days my energy started to return. I had to take a rather high dose for awhile because I was so weak.

Take care --

Dechi

@Dechi - I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. You did the best possible thing for her and yet it's one of the hardest things we ever have to do.

I'm wondering if your cortisol (as well as adrenaline) is temporarily raised due to stress. If your cortisol is normally low, you will be chronically tired. So this might be an indication that your adrenals need support - have you ever done an Adrenal Stress Index Test (saliva test which measures cortisol throughout the day/evening)? Or had anyone do anything for your adrenals? Several years ago I was chronically exhausted and it turned out that my adrenals were wiped out. I was given an adrenal glandular (Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process) and within a few days my energy started to return. I had to take a rather high dose for awhile because I was so weak.

Take care --

@Mary Thank you.

My adrenal glands and cortisol values were tested by an endocrinologist a few years ago. Everything came back normal. But I was told those tests would show cancers or really out of whack values, but not "ordinary " adrenal distress. I never had the saliva test, is it reliable ?

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary Thank you.

My adrenal glands and cortisol values were tested by an endocrinologist a few years ago. Everything came back normal. But I was told those tests would show cancers or really out of whack values, but not "ordinary " adrenal distress. I never had the saliva test, is it reliable ?

It is reliable. I've had it done a couple of times. The first time it showed I had high cortisol in the middle of the night, which made sense, because I had severe middle of the night insomnia, which I was able to address once I knew what was going on, by using Seriphos. Many believe this test is better than the standard blood test most doctors do, because it (the saliva test) will show how cortisol levels rise and fall throughout the day and evening, which is important information. The blood test only shows a result for the time the blood is drawn.

Many doctors don't "believe" that adrenal fatigue is "real", as though it's a matter of belief. I was helped initially by a chiropractor who does muscle testing, which showed my weak adrenals. He's the one who gave me the adrenal glandular. I'm sure you're aware that many on this board take some kind of adrenal support - e.g., ashwaganda, rhodiola rosea, some even take something like Cortef which I have avoided.

Anyways, it may be worthwhile for you to do some investigation re your adrenals. There may be other tests to be done which others on the board could recommend. And you may have to look further afield than your endocrinologist to get them done.

eta: Also your low blood pressure can be an indication of adrenal weakness or some sort of adrenal deficiency.

Last edited:

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates

I've had that a couple of times in the last 3 years - a very stressful period of a few days, during which my resting pulse rose by 20 points and stayed there, I was hardly getting any sleep, but all my ME symptoms disappeared. I guess it must be adrenalin or something. I seriously considered regularly starting fights with those around me as a way to keep my ME symptoms suppressed, but for some reason didn't bother in the end. Maybe taking up skydiving would be a better idea, or perhaps I should dust my cape off and fly somewhere.

Basilico

Florida
@Dechi , I am so sorry about your dog! I'm sure that was an awful thing to go through, but it's also such a good thing to know that when your dog was in too much pain, you made a very humane choice to end the suffering. That choice is never easy.

As for why you are doing better, it could be a bunch of things, but with this good old WTF illness, you will probably never know! I hope you are able to enjoy it, as much as is possible while you are grieving. Maybe this reprieve is some good karma for being so wonderful to your dog? (probably not, but a nice thought!)

Dechi

@Dechi , I am so sorry about your dog! I'm sure that was an awful thing to go through, but it's also such a good thing to know that when your dog was in too much pain, you made a very humane choice to end the suffering. That choice is never easy.

As for why you are doing better, it could be a bunch of things, but with this good old WTF illness, you will probably never know! I hope you are able to enjoy it, as much as is possible while you are grieving. Maybe this reprieve is some good karma for being so wonderful to your dog? (probably not, but a nice thought!)

@Basilico I will accept the proposition of my karma and embrace it ! :)