• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

xrayspex

I realise that, and was trying to point out that it wasn't funny.
hey MeSci, I know I can get flip sometimes about my and other's health issues.....sort of a gallows humor ....laugh so you won't cry sort of thing, but hey, wanted to say sorry for your memory problems. I have them too and its really frustrating beyond words. you seem like a very compassionate person....wishing you the best.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
hey MeSci, I know I can get flip sometimes about my and other's health issues.....sort of a gallows humor ....laugh so you won't cry sort of thing, but hey, wanted to say sorry for your memory problems. I have them too and its really frustrating beyond words. you seem like a very compassionate person....wishing you the best.
Thank you, @xrayspex

Carl

Tu Si Zi (Dodder Seed) equals Balls of Steel. Treats Anxiety, stress, improving adrenal problems and lowering high cortisol levels, pituitary deficiency which can affect many CFS sufferers and affects me very badly. It has also been shown to help lower/normalize elevated Liver enzymes although mine are still slightly elevated. It affects the Hypothalamus Pituitary. Adrenal axis which is known to be affected in CFS. It's not perfect as it can cause slight constipation but that can be counteracted by other things. It tones the Liver and Kidney energy which has a beneficial effect and is often taken with Gou Qi Zi (Wolfberry and often corrupted to Goji Berries). Dosage is up to 15 grams/day boiled in a pan for 30 minutes but I boil for 1 hour. There is a slight oil on the top of the liquid which I believe is important and might be what has the toning effect on the Liver/Kidneys.

I would not be without it and I have been using it for many years.

Tu Si Zi has been shown (in animals) to increase the weight of the pituitary gland which improves it's function.

xrayspex

Tu Si Zi (Dodder Seed) equals Balls of Steel. Treats Anxiety, stress, improving adrenal problems and lowering high cortisol levels, pituitary deficiency which can affect many CFS sufferers and affects me very badly. It has also been shown to help lower/normalize elevated Liver enzymes although mine are still slightly elevated. It affects the Hypothalamus Pituitary. Adrenal axis which is known to be affected in CFS. It's not perfect as it can cause slight constipation but that can be counteracted by other things. It tones the Liver and Kidney energy which has a beneficial effect and is often taken with Gou Qi Zi (Wolfberry and often corrupted to Goji Berries). Dosage is up to 15 grams/day boiled in a pan for 30 minutes but I boil for 1 hour. There is a slight oil on the top of the liquid which I believe is important and might be what has the toning effect on the Liver/Kidneys.

I would not be without it and I have been using it for many years.

Tu Si Zi has been shown (in animals) to increase the weight of the pituitary gland which improves it's function.
Carl is this an herb one could get from acupuncturist?

Carl

There are suppliers online who will sell it. Some Chinese acupuncturists might sell it but prices tend to be higher than purchasing online. I purchase multiple packs of 500grams at a time to keep the delivery costs down.

It might be worth trying a small amount say 200 grams or 0.5 pounds for a couple of weeks to see how you get on. It is available on Amazon and eBay but not at the best prices. I boil about 54 grams at a time which last me about 3.5 days and I boil Gou Qi Zi with it at about 35 grams. Gou Qi Zi which is a red berry appeals to me, I could eat piles of it but it is like many berries, high in carbs which does not go well with my diabetes therefore I cannot really eat them :( It is meant to be the polysaccharides which stimulate the immune system and are anti ageing. Boiling them gives very little carbs.

Both of these are also available as an powder extract but I never found them very effective. That might be because of the oils that boiling extracts which might not be complexed in powder extracts. The Gou Qi Zi is more effective as a powder extract which is probably due to the polysaccharides which are easier to extract than oils.

I was referred for a synacthen adrenal test by a consultant and I was taking Tu Si Zi at the time. I did not stop it as I dislike not taking it. I left it to the night before before I stopped it and on the day of the test my adrenal result showed a massive amount of cortisol because I came off it so quickly. My adrenals were declared as being fully functional as a result which I know that they are not. They are much better than they were but still not 100% functional. This can often be seen in the iris at just inside 6 o clock as a grey marking. Some iris types such as blue/grey/green linen and silk irises show it easier than darker irises. It should be visible in darker irises but it is more difficult to see clearly. A very good light and maybe some magnification with a low powered x3 magnifying glass placed on a mirror might show it better. However not easy if you wear glasses. At just inside 6 o clock in both irises are the kidneys and above them just inside a ring at about 1/3 the way from the pupil are the adrenals. Any grey markings in this area indicate lowered adrenal function. Further down in the kidney zone does not mean any kidney disease it is the nervous system AND the brain which is affected. This can affect the mood and stress response. This is the normal adaption to stress which results in an elevated level of background cortisol.

Chinese medicine which is over 2000 years old has quite a few herbs to treat the kidney such as toning the kidney and liver. These toning herbs affect the rings which go around the iris causing them to relax, release and become wider and less deep. Healing past these rings is difficult without assistance unless the rings are released by herbs and relaxation. This is why conditions like depression are very rarely ever resolved and require constant maintenance medication which never solves the problem - it's highly profitable! Conditions like depression, anxiety and adrenal insufficiency can be resolved if they are treated correctly and the condition is reversed which takes some time.

The rings that I mentioned, which are shadowy rings which run around the iris at different places are related to the emotions and drives. Repressed emotions and drives cause these rings and are what causes ageing the skin being affected first as it is at the outside of the iris. Older people will have much deeper and tighter rings than young people and babies should not have any because they have not learnt to repress emotions by their parents. Parents are very damaging to their children by not directing children correctly! This causes a lot of unnecessary stress, depression and anxiety. Teaching a child correctly would avoid all of this but children do not come with manuals and the medical profession are amateurs and unknowledgeable in these topics.

Different emotions relate to different organs. The kidneys relate and are affected by fear/stress. The lungs sadness and the liver anger. The hearts is meant to be joy and the spleen I have forgotten. You might notice that rings run from just inside 6 o clock to other areas such as 2 o clock Left and 10 o clock Right. This can indicate the repression of sadness ie not being able to cry. The right is the outer expression ie crying and the left is the inner feeling, one or both can be repressed. When a ring runs from 10 to 6 o clock this means a fear of expressing sadness. This can in some people cause or increase constipation if the ring appears inside the colon. A ring from just inside 8 o clock Right iris to just inside 6 o clock is fear of expressing anger. Relaxing this ring through the liver does help the liver function and can affect the mood too. Fear of expressing sadness ie crying and fear of expressing anger is very common in depressives. These all eventually cause changes to the brain and nervous system which results in an increase in background cortisol levels. ie Adaption to stress.

I have looked at Chinese medicine which taught me a great deal and later iridology which shows the effects of Chinese toning herbs as the rings can be seen to become wider and less deep as they are relaxed. Iridology which if you believe the BS on the web such as confessions of an iridologist which is meant to put people off using Iridology and I will point out that if he was a legitimate Iridologist then he could not of been a very good one because the iris chart shown on the webpage is a very old and outdated (1982) chart which is not used by any serious Iridologist. It's most likely published by other interested parties whose profits are threatened by Iridology if people see the damage that conventional treatments cause to the human body and nervous system. Why would any drug company want anyone to find a cure for their depression and/or anxiety when they can profit by selling ineffective and damaging medications for a persons lifetime?

xrayspex

so you get it as seed form?
you have interesting info on alt medicine. I went to acupuncture again religiously for awhile this year and thought it was helping at first but then realized it was triggering increased neurogenic pain and vision issues....I think my body was interpreting it as invasive=irritant danger. but not sure why failed.

Hip

@Carl, iridology is complete pseudoscience; it failed scientific tests to verify its claimed ability to diagnose medical conditions. Iridology does not even have a long history; it was arbitrarily made up by a Hungarian in 1893, with no factual basis for it at all. I am usually interested in alternative therapies, and many alternative therapies have been validated scientifically; but when I see pseudoscience or mumbo jumbo, my bullshit detector goes into the red zone.

This thread is about an anti-anxiety treatment that has worked for me a quite a few others. If you want to talk about the mumbo jumbo that is iridology, I suggest starting your own thread in the Alternative Therapies section. Iridology is off topic here.

Carl

You cannot even post truly accurate topic titles which my bullshit detector pickup immediately. ie your topic about Leaky Gut which does not exist as a medical condition. The correct term, which if you read about it is Increased Intestinal Permeability Syndrome. It has nothing to do directly with the Gut! You read rubbish research and believe every word of it. Not realising that people have vested interests in denouncing certain ideas because it is a big potential threat to their profits. I mentioned the bullshit article because it is what it is....bullshit.

I have seen enough to know that Iridology can and does have a lot of merit. It shows the areas which are prone to cancer, the areas which are prone to autoimmune illness and it shows the damage that many conventional treatments do to the human body. However you read some bullshit research and believe it. I have been meaning to comment in the other thread about your post but I did break my ankle and spent later that night in A&E and did not get home until after 3am. It has made life even more difficult just doing basic tasks and I have not had much spare time to spend on forums as a result.

The so called scientific tests were utter rubbish TBH. Carefully constructed to disprove Iridology to prevent it's recognition and potential acceptance. Powerful Pharmaceutical companies have a lot to loose if Iridology was proven to show the damage done by conventional treatments. For example, I am Type 1 diabetic and I injected my legs throughout my early childhood. This badly affected my nervous system in my Kidneys and legs which affects healing. This is very relevant, especially to stress and adrenal function because it affects the bodies ability to heal the nervous system. Despite this I have managed to heal areas of my adrenals and kidney/brain which affects my stress response and as a consequence improving my adrenal function and lowering my background cortisol levels.

BTW A modern Iridology chart, not the outdated chart that I mentioned posted by a so called former Iridologist (actually sponsored by interested parties) shows a black marking indicating tissue destruction in my pancreas tail, I am confirmed type 1 diabetic so this is as expected. More interestingly, my pancreas tail also shows a few blue iris fibres in the pancreas tail and it has recently been proven by science that not all pancreatic beta cells ie the cells that produce insulin are destroyed in type 1 diabetics! Adrenal exhaustion, shows in the iris as does depression, as does susceptibility to breast cancer and many other cancers. BTW my mother died of breast cancer and I regularly looked into her eyes and saw the damage that surgery did, the changes that occurred following surgery and the damage caused as cancer metastasised ie spread and destroyed tissue producing black markings as it did so.

On your anxiety "treatments" Tu Si Zi is far better IMO especially as it treats multiple aspects of CFS. I will respond to that other thread because your opinions were totally out of order and the so called research as to the causes of CFS a load of bullshit. This I will address as soon as I get some time. I will pose a wager when I respond to that thread. I will not take your money either as that would be too easy as I am so confident that you are totally incorrect and that I will eventually be proven correct as to the cause of CFS. To think that Iridology, the effects I have experienced in my body and some lateral thinking allowed me to pinpoint where the infection attacks.

Carl

so you get it as seed form?
you have interesting info on alt medicine. I went to acupuncture again religiously for awhile this year and thought it was helping at first but then realized it was triggering increased neurogenic pain and vision issues....I think my body was interpreting it as invasive=irritant danger. but not sure why failed.
Yes Tu Si Zi is a tiny seed. If you search google you will find some info on it as to it's effects.

Acupuncture I was offered by the Chinese herbalist that I went to when I first hit my big downturn before I knew I had CFS. I did not like the idea of having needles put into me so declined. I am type 1 diabetic so have to use needles every day but still dislike them and don't like the idea of having needles stuck into me.

As I mentioned above about injections into my legs as a child. Too much can be very harmful and can cause changes to the nervous system. I doubt that you had them regularly enough to have such a dramatic impact on your nervous system but it sounds like something did not agree with you. Acupuncture does have some merit and my GP uses it but I don't like the idea of it myself. There are herbs which can be very relaxing and can make big changes to the nervous system. My right brain is overly active and the autonomic nerve wreath was very constricted towards the pupil. I have made some progress in reversing that using German chamomile essential oil and Aloe vera juice to counter the heating effect. German Chamomile works on the liver and relaxes the nerve ring through the liver which causes a relaxing effect and also helps the mood and liver function. German Chamomile essential oil is extremely strong so NEVER use it neat! I add one drop of the pure organic oil to a small dropper bottle with some pure water preferably distilled and then shake that vigorously before using one or sometime 2 drops in a glass depending upon how strong it still is and how long I have been using it. The oil concentration tends to reduce over a couple of weeks so I sometimes start increasing to 2 drops when the amount in the glass shows less. I will top it up after around 2 weeks.

The amount of Aloe vera is crucial as it is very cold in energy which affects the liver. It can have very negative effects, liver congestion and sometimes can affect mood and anger in large doses so it needs to be balanced carefully.

I got these ideas from something I was using in the early 90's when I started using Herbalife Herbal aloe which produced lots of energy and improved my skin function better than it had been in many years. Herbalife Herbal Aloe lists German Chamomile extract on the label and I noticed small amounts of oil on the liquid when I was using it. I realised that this was actually German Chamomile essential oil. My skin always tended to be very dry before I started using it and it became very soft and the natural sebum levels were very much better while I was taking it. They have since changed the formulation and more recent formulations did not work very well for me. Therefore I started making my own and got similar effects to the more recent Herbalife formulations for a fraction of the price.

The nerve rings through my liver are very wide and shallow now due to all the use of German Chamomile. It also relaxes the digestive system and the autonomic nerve wreath indicates the shape of the digestive system. My right transverse colon is still fairly constricted but a little better than it was. Taken on a regular basis GC can help eliminate the rings and return the digestive shape and constriction to it's ideal position. It's the rings which prevent the nervous system from healing which tends to prevent anxiety and depression from being resolved. Patching it with a plaster ie quack treatments does not resolve it.

Hip

You cannot even post truly accurate topic titles which my bullshit detector pickup immediately. ie your topic about Leaky Gut which does not exist as a medical condition.

Leaky gut does exist as a condition of the body; it can be measured with lab tests. What is more controversial is whether leaky gut can cause symptoms or play a role in triggering disease. See this post.

Leaky Gut which does not exist as a medical condition. The correct term, which if you read about it is Increased Intestinal Permeability Syndrome.

In fact the terms leaky gut and intestinal permeability are synonyms, and if you search the studies on PubMed, you will find that both terms used are used in studies, although intestinal permeability is used more commonly. Whereas if you search PubMed for your "increased intestinal permeability syndrome" term, not even one study uses that terminology.

Perhaps spend a little more time looking at PubMed, and a bit less gazing into your irises? I have nothing against herbs and other alternative medicine treatments, and have used many herbs myself. But not everything in alternative medicine checks out, and iridology is one of those that does not check out.

Last edited:

flitza

This is just a bit of a follow-up on my starting N-acetyl Glucosamine, Turmeric, Magnesium and cromolyn sodium.
They really have helped enormously with the anxiety I believe. I also believe I may have just had too much Vit B12 on board. No that I've cut back on the dosage of that, I believe the anxiety has improved because of that as well.

The only thing is, I have an essential tremor that has gotten enormously worse during the last 10 days. I'm wondering of that may be caused by one of the above supplements. There have been no other changes in my regimen.

Anybody got anything on this?

Re the inflammation theory of anxiety, I just wanted share this observation from my own history.

Just before I had my sinus baloon sinuplasty procedure (essentially, a baloon is inflated in the sinus cavities/openings to open them up), I had said to the ENT in my last appointment before the procedure that I had a lot of inflammation in the nasal area and sinuses and that I felt rough (generally edgy). He said we needed that to go down in time for the procedure, so he gave me a weeks supply of Pregnenolone (low dose). In that week I felt good, my inflammation did indeed go down and I felt very calm and confident, no anxiety.

I plan to try hip's 3 supplements soon.

One question I have, I already take VegEPA. If I take flaxseed, should I drop the VegEPA? or perhaps I could take the VegEPA and just buy an ALA supplement such as this

Hip

That interesting, @dannybex. So NAG can be considered a prebiotic for Faecalibacterium prausnitzii commensal bacteria in the gut. I would not have thought this prebiotic action would explain NAG's anti-anxiety effects though, because those effects kick in within an hour or two of taking NAG.

Thought I'd give an update on how I'm getting on. I know the thread is old, but someone may find the information useful, information is timeless after all.

So I started with tea spoon of flaxseed oil once a day. I've been on that for 3 weeks now. It has had a very noticeable anti inflammatory effect in my nasal area that seems to last right into the evening. I've also noticed it good for getting rid of aches and pains, and general stiffness. I seem more energetic too, far more awake during the day at times I haven't felt I have CFS at all.

I recently added 375mg NAG once a day (in the morning first thing) and it seems to be doing something. My anxiety has gone down quite a bit, I've had a few wobbles but I think I know what caused these. The NAG seems to have solved a few things like the feeling of walking on a trampoline, and also my confidence to tackle things is returning. I think hip is definitely onto something here. I had absolutely no adverse reaction to taking NAG, and I was careful, starting initially with 93mg. Ive not had to reach for the benzos for 20 days now, which is good as I was using at least once a week (I've always been a very low, controlled user - and theyre great if you can keep it to that)

I've not moved on to add turmeric yet.

I note that this weeks edition of New Scientist magazine (at least here in the UK anyway) has a large piece on inflammation and it's possible effects on the brain etc.

It's not often we get to have a laugh here on these forums but here's something that bemused me. I went to see an ENT privately last week, to talk about this recurrent upper respiratory infections I seem to get (cold like viruses). The bottom line is that his advice was to go try CBT - yes you read right, cognitive behavioural therapy. Given I had sinus surgery a few years back I was at least expecting him to do a CT to check things out.

I promptly left the consultation, trying not to laugh in front of him then spent the rest of the day we this incredulous look etched on my face. I did have some fun in the appointment though, I think he assumed I knew nothing about CBT so I started quoting the theory and using very big words, then I told him about some of the latest research that suggests it aint for every one. Not the best 300 shekels I've spent...

Last edited:

Basilico

Florida
@asymmetry Glad to hear you are getting some improvements...that's always exciting!

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for recurrent infections! Wow.

Way to go for speaking up and (hopefully) giving him a little ego bruise...which it sounds like he desperately needs.

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
It's not often we get to have a laugh here on these forums but here's something that bemused me. I went to see an ENT privately last week, to talk about this recurrent upper respiratory infections I seem to get (cold like viruses). The bottom line is that his advice was to go try CBT - yes you read right, cognitive behavioural therapy. Given I had sinus surgery a few years back I was at least expecting him to do a CT to check things out.

I promptly left the consultation, trying not to laugh in front of him then spent the rest of the day we this incredulous look etched on my face. I did have some fun in the appointment though, I think he assumed I knew nothing about CBT so I started quoting the theory and using very big words, then I told him about some of the latest research that suggests it aint for every one. Not the best 300 shekels I've spent...
Not the best? Good grief - you should at least get a refund.

It was paid for by the insurance, so I'm not too troubled. I have noticed lately, that medical doctors (at least here in UK), once they get a whiff that the patient in front of them has a history of anxiety, you can almost kiss goodbye to getting help from that doctor. It causes such a strong cognitive bias that they simply cannot overcome it and will pin problems to it in a second without sitting down with the customer (ie. you) and working with you to delve deeper "problem solving mode" let's call it. They like organic faults that are easy to detect and fit into a nice neat box. All doctors, in my opinion, could benefit from reading Thinking, Fast and Slow . I have now decided that I will no longer declare this part of my medical history to avoid this problem.

I forgot to thank Hip in my last post. We have conversed privately, and his posts here on the forum are invaluable - thank you, Hip, for all the tireless research you have done over the years and your willingness to openly share this with others to help them.

I will keep you posted on progress..

Is there any reason why putting organic turmeric powder into capsules could be a bad idea (e.g. in terms of it hitting the stomach undiluted)?