• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Ronald W. Davis is optimistic at 2017 IiME Conference (video!)

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Hi guys,

A short video from Prof. Davis summing up his thoughts on the IiME conference. Enjoy :)

OvIn-bUX4OvUOHXG5ix-NXv5lZjW9XM2Mdga9P2pe9JN7xZCuIfilGHf_al1PEk9yim7kCp_BV2l7__JbSB5HKWCKA8ANNxjhNoR4dCItvJUDgzvC6EivpEW-Ok2JLjhsdOftnExwA=s0-d-e1-ft

Dr. Ronald W. Davis is optimistic at the 2017 Invest in ME Research Conference

Dr. Ron Davis, Director of the OMF Scienific Advisory Board and Director of the Stanford Genome Technology Center, conveys his excitement about the latest progress being made in ME/CFS research, especially towards discovering treatments. Speaking from the recent Invest in ME (IiME) conference in London, UK, Dr. Davis discusses how ME/CFS research is growing, enthusiastic, and most importantly, focused on how we can make an impact on patients. Watch the video here.

To help fast-track ME/CFS research, please donate to OMF.

Thanks guys,

B

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49) @AshleyHalcyoneH

Hilary

Thank you, thank you a million times to Ron Davis and the other researchers who are so committed to doing what matters and helping patients. Not the slightest vestige of ego, career advancement or financial gain.

Donating every month (not much but there isn't much in the pot..) by SO to make it easy.

Thank you again:star:

A.B.

I would like to propose that Lipkin, Solve ME/CFS, OMF, ME Action all work together towards the goal of getting the US congress to mandate a set amount of NIH funding for ME/CFS (as well as giving patients a seat on the decision making table to make sure the money is spent on good projects). That's how we're going to get the science done.

I'm pretty sure that once word gets out that there's funding for this illness, more researchers will come.

HowToEscape?

I would like to propose that Lipkin, Solve ME/CFS, OMF, ME Action all work together towards the goal of getting the US congress to mandate a set amount of NIH funding for ME/CFS (as well as giving patients a seat on the decision making table to make sure the money is spent on good projects). That's how we're going to get the science done.

I'm pretty sure that once word gets out that there's funding for this illness, more researchers will come.

Well that's actually how our job. Science is hard enough, and doesn't pay very well. I don't think they have time for politics on top of it.
We need to take a book out of the AIDS pages and do the politics ourselves.

A.B.

Well that's actually how our job. Science is hard enough, and doesn't pay very well. I don't think they have time for politics on top of it.
We need to take a book out of the AIDS pages and do the politics ourselves.

Lipkin said this a few years ago already. That's how breast cancer and autism research got funded. He may be able to advise on how to do this successfully. Patient and research organizations can do the rest.

mango

ETA: A proofread version of the transcript has now been published on OMF's website:
https://www.omf.ngo/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Transcript-IiME-R-Davis-6-20-17.pdf

Here's a transcript! :) However, it has not been proof-read! Any mistakes are mine and mine only, please don't let them reflect negatively on Dr Davis is any way! Please let me know if you find any mistakes so they can be corrected.
Hello, I'm Ron Davis. I'm here in London at the Invest in ME conference.

This has been a pretty exciting conference. There's been a lot of progress since last year. A lot more data has been presented, about what happens with the,... with ME patients.

But what I was strictly impressed with is an effort now to try to find a treatment for this disease. It's in the early stages, and some of them are just a possibility. But it shows a real drive towards finding some treatment.

In the past it's been a usual character of compounds that people have tried over the years, without much success. And now, it's really focusing on whatreallymight make a huge impact in the patients. And I was impressed with that.

A lot of effort in Norway. Excellent talks from Norway. I think they've been a phenomenal partner in this whole endeavor.

I also thought the patient day was quite good. The talks there were tailor-made for the audience, not so scientific.

But I am very optimistic that we are making great progress.

There are now sort of three areas of possible intervention. Drug intervention that people have come up with. These all have to be tried, not necessarily in patients at first, but we have to explore them extensively. And those trials might then lead to further ideas that will come up with some drugs.

So, I'm impressed with people really focusing on what's needed in the community. These are not about just getting some publications and doing the usual kinds of research. It's been very focused on 'how do we help the patients?'.

And so, I think the patients should be thrilled with having these changes go on. I wish we could accelerate the pace.

NIH was represented here. Talking about their new efforts and their increased funding, and that's a great sign. We really need NIH involved in this.

There were a bunch of proposals submitted to NIH. More than they expected to get. I'm heartened by that, because I think that will show NIH that there's a real drive to work on this disease. And I think that will help to increase the funding, although there's a lot of difficulty doing research funding at the NIH at the current time.

But I think even next year we'll see some even ever increasing progress. New people are entering the field. Young people are entering the field. It doesn't seem like the field is a dead field scientifically. It seems like an incredibly active field, with a lot more enthusiasm and desire to work in this, and to find a treatment for this disease.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
@Ben Howell @Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

Just wondering what response there was to Rons potential blood test from the other scientists from around the world? Are there any plans to make it more available? Even tho' the exact problem hasn't been identified it could be an invaluable means of confirming diagnosis (not just for patients, but participants in further research).

@TracyD has posted this video:

Plus (in the UK in particular) it could put an end to all this including ME as MUS rubbish.
thanks
:)

Last edited:

Gemini

ETA: A proofread version of the transcript has now been published on OMF's website:
https://www.omf.ngo/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Transcript-IiME-R-Davis-6-20-17.pdf

So glad to hear Ron Davis' optimism about treatments! :thumbsup:

Do we know which 3 areas he's referring to here?

"There are now sort of three areas of possible intervention. Drug intervention that people have come up with. These all have to be tried, not necessarily in patients at first, but we have to explore them extensively."

Jo Best

So glad to hear Ron Davis' optimism about treatments! :thumbsup:

Do we know which 3 areas he's referring to here?

"There are now sort of three areas of possible intervention. Drug intervention that people have come up with. These all have to be tried, not necessarily in patients at first, but we have to explore them extensively."

This was on the agenda discussed at the 2-day biomedical research workshop prior to conference day.
The agenda is on this page (click to open each day): http://investinme.eu/BRMEC Colloquiums.shtml#brmec7

br7.JPG

Manganus

Here's a transcript! :) However, it has not been proof-read! Any mistakes are mine and mine only,

Thanks a lot! :hug::heart:

I still have a bookmark for the video (to view a better day). I do like to listen to some people's voices. Ron Davis is one of them. The voice transmits some important cues. I will listen to them too. (...later).