• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Foul breath during crash

Ravn

A weird and embarrassing one: does anyone else get severe bad breath (fecal?) during a crash (and only during a crash)?

Can't smell it myself, but others sure can.

Doctor's eyes glaze over when I mention this. Unfortunately I can't travel during a crash so can't demonstrate by breathing on them.

Excluded ketosis, reflux/GERD and dental/gum issues.

Some metabolic malfunction? Or what???

Tried mouthwashes, chlorophyll, B2, activated charcoal - all to no use at all. Other ideas?

Dechi

I have been told that I have very bad breath. Not necessarily during a crash. I think it's the gut being infected that causes that. Or maybe gastric reflux. Or both.

Murph

:)
I haven't heard of that as a crash symptom before. But sounds like your body might be in ketosis? i.e. burning ketones in lieu of regular energy. That is famous for making bad breath.

That might fit with the bad energy theory of CFS too.

Dechi

Do you get any upper respiratory symptoms, sinus congestion, post-nasal drip? I do, and I think this is what causes it.

I forgot, sinusitis is another cause of bad breath. I have chronic sinusitis, so that doesn't help either.

Many, many causes of bad breath. Hard to figure out I find...

halcyon

I've been trying a xylitol based nasal and mouth spray, trying to gargle with the mouth spray as deep into my throat as possible, seems to improve things temporarily but doesn't last.

Tally

I have burning sensation in my mouth when I wake up. I assume it's joined with bad breath. It goes away when I brush my teeth. (I don't have GERD.)

Ravn

Thanks everyone. I'll have a look at the sinus/postnasal drip issue which I'm sure I do have. Only thing is I'm stuffy all the time, but the breath comes on only during a crash. That's what makes it so mysterious.
Ketosis sounds logical but repeated testing with different testing method has never shown me in ketosis.
Best solution clearly is never to crash. I'm working on it....