• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

T. Chalder & Julia Newton - UK Neurobiology of Fatigue 18 Sept

slysaint

And another one :
The Royal Society Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, MK16 9JJ 18th/19th Sept
Chaired by Trudie Chalder and first speaker Julia Newton 'Standing up for fatigue'

https://royalsociety.org/science-events-and-lectures/2017/09/neurobiology-fatigue/

"
Theo Murphy scientific meeting organised by Professor Raymond Dolan FRS, Dr Annapoorna Kuppuswamy and Professor John Rothwell.

Fatigue is poorly understood, yet it is a common problem. Recent developments uncovering mechanistic underpinnings of pathological fatigue suggest a complex psychological and neural aetiology. This inter-disciplinary meeting brings together views from different disciplines: sensorimotor processing, decision-making, emotion, meta-cognition, energy economics and neuro-immunology to examine the pathogenesis of fatigue that will be informative to both basic neuroscientists and clinicians interested in fatigue."

Esther12

I thought Julia Newton was a proper scientist. What on earth is she doing in a meeting chaired by Chalder, one of the worst quacks around.

The wonderful 'collaborative' approach being promoted by the UK means that the worst quacks need do nothing to change their behaviour, but now everyone else is encouraged to work alongside them, validating this behaviour.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Again, so disappointed in Julia Newton. Clearly in her own mind either people like Chalder are not quacks or it's all OK, no harm no foul.

People have said JN has done good science. She continually presents that science in the worst context. Perhaps she feels she will only be funded if she carries on ignoring that but as someone with what they think is MUS I am horrified by what seems to be a lack of integrity. 'The tent' only has room for one dogma -- psychosocial and it does cause harm to so many.

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
The Chalder/Newton one is on morning of 18th September.
18 September
09:30-12:45
Session 1

5talksHide detail
Chairs

Professor Trudie Chalder, King's College London, UK

09:45-10:20Standing up for fatigue
Professor Julia Newton, Newcastle University, UK

Show speakers
10:20-10:55Neuroimaging and fatigue in MS and TBI
Professor John DeLuca, Kessler Foundation and Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, USA

Show speakers
10:55-11:15Coffee

11:15-11:50A biopsychosocial model of fatigue and depression following stroke
Professor Heidi Kristin Ormstad, University College of Southeast Norway, Norway
Dr Grethe Eilertsen, University College of Southeast Norway, Norway

Show speakers
11:50-12:25Fatigue symptoms in clinical models of chronic inflammation: physiopathological correlates and clinical implications
Dr Lucile Capuron, INRA University of Bordeaux, France

Show speakers
12:25-12:45Panel discussion

12:45-14:00
Lunch

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
Regarding what Julia Newton thinks, might be worth sending a friendly email.
Spoke to her last year, let's just say she's not a big fan of CBT/GET.

She probably says different things to different people at different times (like everybody else on the planet)

I suggested to David Tuller, that a private chat might be useful.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
I see even stroke isn't immune now from the bps crap. Fatigue post-stroke obviously can't have anything to do with the fact that you now have a patch of dead brain......:bang-head:

I know right.

People do anything to make money, that`s all there is to this. That, and the problem that they uncritically presume that their thoughts are not nonsensical.

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
On the same day in the aftenoon session Mark Edwards of Ste George's University is speaking

16:05-16:40Talk title TBC
Professor Mark Edwards, St George's University of London, UK

He's the guy doing MRC funded research comapring the neurology of ME/CFS & MS?

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
I cannot fathom how researchers of opposite ions of the potentially fatal disease ME can entertain each others presence in a room so routinely and eloquently.

If it was 1985 and I was a researcher and was entertaining psychiatrists who believe AIDS is caused by a gay life style, and thus gays deserve what they get (what some believed and some religious people still do), I would not attend the conference and I would actually refuse to do any research with such people ever again out of principle. Not only would this be correct and just, it would be in defence of the patients, who I am paid to care for as a medical doctor.

Yet it seems that some 'CFS' researchers are too drenched in cowardice to have any principles nowadays due to franchises of ideas on 'fatigue' (ME isn't fatigue) winning grant money that pushes a pro psych agenda even when the Science has evolved. The UK is still in ownership of an intractable residual skepticism that as a nation alongside America, they blueprinted and distributed to other countries as 'evidence based medicine' (CBT/GET).

From this timid compromise, we have a bizarre situation of pro biological theorists who know damn well severe subsets of patients can die of ME, yet despite this, they still cannot bring themselves to say to their fellow ME deniers that do PowerPoint presentations next to them; look buddy, I cannot do research with you any longer because what you believe is fundamentally wrong and leading to harming patients and even killing them in the community from neglect. So no. From now one, please leave and present on 'Fatigue' with another psych lobby antagonist somewhere else and and have a nice day.

When the blood assays are finished in 12 months or so and backed with multi center published papers, what has been done to us over 30+ years will look utterly appalling because it is utterly appalling.

Until then, the asylum is running the patients, or is that, ruining?

slysaint

From this timid compromise, we have a bizarre situation of pro biological theorists who know damn well severe subsets of patients can die of ME, yet despite this, they still cannot bring themselves to say to their fellow ME deniers that do PowerPoint presentations next to them; look buddy, I cannot do research with you any longer because what you believe is fundamentally wrong and leading to harming patients and even killing them in the community from neglect.

.....and possibly even more bizarrely ME charities and support groups that are supposedly representing sufferers doing the same but even worse; not just turning a blind eye but actively supporting them.