• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

adderall / ritalin/ ampheta - can you take these as needed?

alice111

hey guys,

just wondering for those of you who take any of the above drugs can do you take them daily or as needed?

I have been taking the same dose daily for a long time, but recently realised it might be more helpful to not take it on days I know I need to rest. Is this ok to do? or is it like SSRI's where you have to take regularly?

Thanks! :)

me/cfs 27931

For years I was told (rather forcefully by one doctor) to take daily. My health deteriorated significantly, and I attribute much of that to daily prescribed stimulant use (Ritalin/Adderall/Vyvanse).

I now keep 10mg Vyvanse for as needed, which is about once a month. I tolerate Vyvanse a bit better than the others, including the XRs.

Skippa

Anti-BS
Total layman's answer: tolerance can be avoided/maintained by taking only as needed, and dependance can be avoided by taking breaks too.

So I think that sounds most sensible... BUT... will that treat your symptoms? (Eg I don't know why you were prescribed it)...

So: are there any additional gains to be had by building and maintaining bodily levels that aren't realised by taking a more stop/start approach?

See this thread for some interesting perspectives and a link to a study:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comments/3oy3p8/taking_adderall_everyday_vs_occasionally/

alice111

Total layman's answer: tolerance can be avoided/maintained by taking only as needed, and dependance can be avoided by taking breaks too.

So I think that sounds most sensible... BUT... will that treat your symptoms? (Eg I don't know why you were prescribed it)...

So: are there any additional gains to be had by building and maintaining bodily levels that aren't realised by taking a more stop/start approach?

See this thread for some interesting perspectives and a link to a study:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comments/3oy3p8/taking_adderall_everyday_vs_occasionally/

well what I have found to be interesting is if i take dexedrine when I know I am going to be overexerting myself it seems like it reduces the crash significantly!! I would have thought it would be the opposite. but I have now experimented quite a few times and it is definitely the case... why?? that's beyond me...