• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Examining clinical similarities between myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome and d-lac

AndyPR

A bit more detail. The paper is open access.

Examining clinical similarities between myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome and d-lactic acidosis: a systematic review
  • Amy Wallis,
  • Michelle Ball,
  • Sandra McKechnie,
  • Henry Butt,
  • Donald P. Lewis and
  • Dorothy Bruck

Abstract
Background
The pursuit for clarity in diagnostic and treatment pathways for the complex, chronic condition of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) continues. This systematic review raises a novel question to explore possible overlapping aetiology in two distinct conditions. Similar neurocognitive symptoms and evidence of d-lactate producing bacteria in ME/CFS raise questions about shared mechanisms with the acute condition of d-lactic acidosis (d-la).

Methods
d-la case reports published between 1965 and March 2016 were reviewed for episodes describing both neurological symptoms and high d-lactate levels. Fifty-nine d-la episodes were included in the qualitative synthesis comparing d-la symptoms with ME/CFS diagnostic criteria. A narrative review of d-la mechanisms and relevance for ME/CFS was provided.

Results
The majority of neurological disturbances reported in d-la episodes overlapped with ME/CFS symptoms. Of these, the most frequently reported d-la symptoms were motor disturbances that appear more prominent during severe presentations of ME/CFS. Both patient groups shared a history of gastrointestinal abnormalities and evidence of bacterial dysbiosis, although only preliminary evidence supported the role of lactate-producing bacteria in ME/CFS.

Limitations
Interpretation of results are constrained by both the breadth of symptoms included in ME/CFS diagnostic criteria and the conservative methodology used for d-la symptom classification. Several pathophysiological mechanisms in ME/CFS were not examined.

Conclusions
Shared symptomatology and underlying microbiota–gut–brain interactions raise the possibility of a continuum of acute (d-la) versus chronic (ME/CFS) presentations related to d-lactate absorption. Measurement of d-lactate in ME/CFS is needed to effectively evaluate whether subclinical d-lactate levels affect neurological symptoms in this clinical population.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
There's a huge range of articles here about d-lactate/d-lactic acid - you'll find them if you search for 'lactate'.

SB_1108

Can we all start requesting lactate testing when we feel like we are in lactic acidosis? How would be the best way to measure? Anion gap? There are lactic acid meters. Would that work?

RogerBlack

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28320179 "The purpose of this study was to investigate whether CFS patients without comorbid psychiatric diagnoses differ from CFS patients with comorbid psychiatric diagnoses and healthy control subjects in neuropsychological performance, the proportion with elevated spinal fluid protein or white cell counts, cerebral blood flow (CBF), brain ventricular lactate and cortical glutathione (GSH)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22281935 "We found elevated ventricular lactate and decreased GSH in patients with CFS and MDD relative to HVs."

As I read the various papers, several seem to have taken possibly meaningful measures of lactate, for monitoring 'subclinical' effects.

msf

When I saw this article I thought about the similar KDM article about 4 years ago, and then I thought about my father (who also had ME) talking about the lactic acid problems he had when I was maybe 10 years old (20 years ago, and he might have identified it as a lactic acid problem 15 years before that). Science sure moves slowly sometimes.