• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help interpreting tests

overtheedge

Just had a lot of tests done and I'd like some help understanding them, I have already studied them through online searches but would appreciate any insights you folks can provide.

Homocysteine is 6.2 umol/L while the reference range is less than 11.4 umol/L so it is normal range but perhaps it should be lower?

TSH is low at .14 out of a reference range of .40-4.5 mIU/L
Free T4 is normal at 1.3 with a reference range of .8-1.8 ng/dL
Free T3 is high at 4.5 with a reference range of 2.3-4.2 pg/mL
I looked over hyperthyroid symptoms, don't think they fit me very well aside from the ones that would generally overlap with CFS like weakness and poor sleep

Coenzyme Q10 is borderline low at .64 of .44-1.64 mg/L

Glutathione is borderline low at 556 with a reference range of 544-1228 uM
Really interested in help with this one since I know GSH is very important for a body struggling with CFS
On a related note my selenium is good at 136 with a reference range of 63-160 mcg/L

zinc is borderline low at 10.8 of 9-14.7 mg/L

Estradiol is high at 43 with a reference range of less than 39 pg/mL
I'm male

On a side note I had this test done through quest, don't know if all quest tests are covered by insurance, haven't received my statement/bill yet, does anyone know which labs are most likely to be covered by insurance, paying out of pocket is a pain.

caledonia

I don't know enough about thyroid off the top of my head to say anything, but there are several people here who are knowledgeable. Hopefully they will post.

In general, if things are borderline low, it might be beneficial to supplement a bit, like for zinc and CoQ10.

For glutathione, there are two kinds - oxidized and reduced. Most tests only measure overall glutathione and don't break it down into the two kinds. A typical pattern for ME patients is high oxidized glutathione with low reduced glutathone. It should be the other way around. It's also typical to see an overall low level of glutathione, which means you have a low level of reduced glutathione.

Raising glutathione can be tricky - direct supplementation may or may not be tolerated or work. You can indirectly raise glutathione by increasing methylation, but working with the methylation cycle can also be tricky and time consuming to find the right balance.

The simplest thing is to supplement with vitamin C which is a cofactor for making reduced glutathione.

overtheedge

I've never had much luck with Vitamin C, taken up to 5 grams per day of the stuff, in addition I've taken it for years at a time at a dose of 1-2 grams/day. Never have done a Vitamin C flush though.

overtheedge

my functional medicine doc told me to up my dose of methylfolate to 4mg/day and b12 to 5mg/day after seeing the results of this test, wonder why.

Been wondering if anything needs to be done about the high estradiol levels, I'm not sure but I doubt they are good for me as a male.

TrixieStix

my functional medicine doc told me to up my dose of methylfolate to 4mg/day and b12 to 5mg/day after seeing the results of this test, wonder why.

Been wondering if anything needs to be done about the high estradiol levels, I'm not sure but I doubt they are good for me as a male.
in regards to the homocysteine everything I have read says that your level would be considered "ideal"

overtheedge

My vitamin D is also low, I should point out that I have had zinc and vitamin D low in the past and have corrected them without any noticeable effects though I figure they are probably doing something so I've started taking them again, rather, I have been taking the vitamin D at 5000 IU per day, 10,000 IU was too much, my doc suggested I use 5000 IU on weekdays and 10,000 IU on weekends which I like, seems like a creative solution.