• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK: Telegraph article 5th June 2017

wdb

I'd go maybe 6/10 it had some good bits, it linked to Jen Brea's talk and MEA, much of it was technically factual but it promoted a lot of nonsense treatments with very questionable evidence bases. We don't need more funding for rubbish treatments we need to fund quality research to find real treatments.

Esther12

What a weird article. It's just about one person's experience? [edit: Actually, I think I can forget this is quite normal filler in papers.] Frsutrating that we struggle to get coverage of the issues with PACE when this is getting in the papers!

Last edited:

trishrhymes

Sound like she was one of the lucky ones who got it fairly mildly and has gradually improved. She chooses to attribute that improvement to the series of unproven treatments she has tried. There is no evidence for any of these treatments. It's a pity that wasn't pointed out.
At least it pointed to Jen's talk and the MEA. Could be worse.

slysaint

"But, as Jude notes: “My diagnosis was mild. ME can be moderate or severe leaving people bed-bound. I can’t imagine what that is like. I know I have been relatively fortunate.”

think this is the important bit; plus she says she is not 100% and still has to be careful.

eta: also nice to see they are not directing people to AfME for advice!

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
What a weird article. It's just about one person's experience? [edit: Actually, I think I can forget this is quite normal filler in papers.] Frsutrating that we struggle to get coverage of the issues with PACE when this is getting in the papers!

Most articles and clips for radio & TV focus on one person's "journey". Journalists don't usually like going into the science, it shows up what they don't know. ;)

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Can find some things in it I don't agree with, but also some good bits and a vast improvement on the type of article we used to get. Definitely a move in the right direction, SMC hardly get a look in. Until recently they seemed to have an absolute veto on any ME article in the national UK press, now there are links to Jen Brea and MEA. It would have been better in the arts section, as it was basically about a musician with a new album out.

Hilary

On the whole I think it's a reasonable article as it reflects one person's experience and doesn't claim to do anything else. I have tried many different 'treatments', some of which have been helpful and some not - with those that have, it may just have been the placebo effect but frankly, I don't care - if it helps, then that's fine by me.

While we hang about waiting for evidence-based treatment :sleep: (probably still years away) I have always wanted to try things that I felt might help even a little, as there's currently nothing on offer from my GP....... Apart from anything else, it helps me to feel a little more in control of matters. Maybe, as with Jude, if one is only mildly affected and it isn't longstanding, there is more scope for various therapies to have some beneficial effect?? (This is based entirely on instinct and not on intellect which appears to have retired for the night already.... time for bed I think:sleep::sleep:..)

Last edited: