• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trial by error cont'd: My 'tear it up' talk at Invest in ME

Kati

Patient in training
http://www.virology.ws/2017/06/04/trial-by-error-continued-my-tear-it-up-talk-at-invest-in-me/

New blogpost by David today. It starts like this:
First, since I’m in London at the moment, I need to say that it feels weird and even wrong to be posting about PACE-related issues right after Saturday night’s terrible events. But in our f**ked-up world, life goes on for everyone else, include ME/CFS patients. and my job is to report this stuff, and so that’s what I’m going to do.

More at the link above.

Kalliope

A U.K. doctor stood up and asked me what I thought about some apparently authoritative hearsay: Dr. Crawley’s reported intention to have Bristol University slap me with a cease-and-desist order to stop “harassing” her.

Can anyone explain what a cease-and-desist order is?

Can anyone explain what a cease-and-desist order is?
Cannot seem to find a good link, but it seems that only a judge can send a cease and desist order, though anyone (or their lawyer) can send a cease and desist letter. Basically requiring someone to stop whatever it is they are doing, and to not start doing it again.

Edit: Ah ... there was a good link :)

Solstice

Cannot seem to find a good link, but it seems that only a judge can send a cease and desist order, though anyone (or their lawyer) can send a cease and desist letter. Basically requiring someone to stop whatever it is they are doing, and to not start doing it again.

Edit: Ah ... there was a good link :)

I bet that would go down well.

Solstice

They just might be beginning to realise that because we have truth and facts on our side, that sort of publicity would be the very thing they have striven so hard all these years to suppress.

Well, I hope she remains to act stupid and callous. It just shows her for what she is and as you said publicity might not be in their interest this time.

Last edited:

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
It's a legal order to stop the offending behavior (defamation for instance) or else they will sue the person https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cease_and_desist
Cease and desist letters are sometimes used to intimidate recipients and can be "an effective tool used by corporations to chill the critical speech of gripe sites operators".
If she's really going to send one, it looks like it can be used as a cheap option to try and intimidate someone, which is just about her level. The first thing that will happen if she sends one is that Tuller will put it up on his blog and she'll become an even bigger laughing stock, if that's possible. He'll also be able to send her one back, to cease and desist using the image of his website on her slides and stop making slanderous accusations of libel.

Chrisb

If the university were to send such a letter it would suggest that the matters arise from her employment by the university. This could raise interesting questions, which I am in no position to answer.

Does it mean that the university might accept vicarious liability for any damage arising from the conduct of its employee?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
If she's really going to send one, it looks like it can be used as a cheap option to try and intimidate someone, which is just about her level. The first thing that will happen if she sends one is that Tuller will put it up on his blog and she'll become an even bigger laughing stock, if that's possible. He'll also be able to send her one back, to cease and desist using the image of his website on her slides and stop making slanderous accusations of libel.

Ahhh, if only. I can't really see her (the university) doing this. I hope I'm very wrong.

Seven7

Seven
They have not accepted reality yet? That tells you how delusional they are (BPS landers).

They have not accepted reality yet?
In a way they have - their own version of it. They've effectively created their own belief system, and because they are such devout believers and shamans within it, they see it as unassailable. But I'm being pedantic (it's fun sometimes :p), and you are right ... somewhere along the way their bubble must surely burst.

Seven7

Seven
You know I just read that other article about the new psy model. So historically the new psys will make up a new model and it is a no end pyramid scheme ( not Pyramud really but you get my point)
1) Psy make up no evidence model to treat desease that have no scientific basis.
2) Make Carrers and insurance fraud w new model.
3) Too many plp discovered is all a scheme and house of cards start coming down.
4) Makeup new model w no scientific basis. Repeat 2). Put in infinite loop until somebody realizes the craziness.

A whole career based on no scientific basis. I study wrong career.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
From what he wrote she is going to try and get Bristol University to send it so it is going to be up to them to make the decision. So it will be interesting to see if they back her up.
Bristol University may see EC as someone who brings in funding and prestige, so may be prepared to not look too critically / cover up for her and back her all the way, including with legal fees. We'll just have to wait and see which way the wind blows.