• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Planning to see Dr William Weir, Harley St. Any advice or opinions?

Mrs Sowester

I've heard some good things about Dr Weir, he's a member of ME Association so I assume knows his stuff. Does anybody have any info about him or had a consultation with him?

bohemian

I want to see dr weir in harley st. Any ideas about how good he is. I may see dr hyde in january. But i might go to harley street for neurology as i cant get help.

Mrs Sowester

He's one of the good guys, expensive but worth seeing.
He'll help confirm diagnosis, write letters of advocacy to benefits agencies and health professionals and recommend dietary adaptations and supplements he sees fit.
I suggest you know what you want from the appointment and ask for it directly - he will do his best to help if he can.

charles shepherd

I have known William for many years and worked with him on various cases, including some legal ones

He is a very kind, caring and conscientious physician and I'm sure you will find your consultation worthwhile

As others have said, it's probably a good idea to prepare a short written list of any key points you want to discuss, or questions you want to raise, during the consultation

Countrygirl

I know someone who is now nearly recovered by taking a combination of tenovir and issentress. I don't think taking tenovir alone worked so well for them.

I first met Dr Weir back in 1989 when he was first taking an interest in ME. He is excellent. I wish I could see him.

Orla

Hi background is infectious diseases, and comes from the biomedical perspective on ME/CFS. He is one of the good ones :)

He has written some good letters to the media and done some interviews, so if you google him you might be able to see some of these? He wrote an interesting submission to the NIH (?) recently, and made suggestions of possible drug trials to run. We had him speak to our ME/CFS group a few years ago and he gave a good talk. You might want to bring any test results with you and it should speed things up a bit.

Mrs Sowester

I should update really; the 3 months of anti-retroviral didn't work for me, I could have been taking sugar pills for all the effect they had on me. At the end of the 3 months he suggested a combination of anti-retrovirals but the emotional investment I made (as well as the financial) was too great for me to try another expensive shot in the dark.
I had no ill physical effects, but did become significantly more depressed during the 3month trial and tried Fluoxetine (Prozac) which really did mess me up. I was incredibly happy on the fluoxetine, but didn't sleep more than an hour or two a night which led to a major crash and some spectacular falls.
Dr Weir is a good guy, he will write supportive letters and prescribe privately. He's very prompt with answering emails and the like. I wouldn't let my experience with ARVs put anyone else off - if you've had a sudden ME onset after a virus and had been very well beforehand then it's probably worth a try.
My own personal theory is that my ME isn't perpetuated by a virus, it was inherited from my mother and I've passed it on to my daughter. The only time I've felt truly well and full of energy was the 9 months I breast fed.
Before I invest hope in another treatment I need more evidence, but that's just me.