• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutamine versus Glutamate

A bit of confusion on this one. I had been ramping up the amount of glutamine from None to 10g/day and had been going fine. I was doing so because glutamine helps against leaky gut; repairs the gut's mucosal lining. I have had bad SIBO symptoms; and although anti-biotics and anti-parasitic got rid of it, I want to make sure it doesn't come back and strengthen my gut, as leaky gut may be a root cause or at least a key contributor to SIBO.

However, I then met with a nutritionist who told me that Glutamine was related to Glutamate and Glutamate caused problems for CFS patients. She told me to stop taking Glutamine which I did. I've noticed a decline in energy (though not sure if it's related to that specifically); my dyspnea (stomach discomfort) has been similar, maybe a tad bit worse since stopping it. It's been about a week and I'm wondering what I should do.

I know people's reactions to glutamine are all over the map; some get benefit, some get worse. My reaction so far seems to have been positive. I would have thought that if it was negative, I would have felt it by now. Anyhow- provided that I'm one of the people who responds positively to glutamine- should I get back on it or should I heed the concern that long-term there may be more glutamate in my system, which may worsen my CFS?

Thanks.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
A bit of confusion on this one. I had been ramping up the amount of glutamine from None to 10g/day and had been going fine. I was doing so because glutamine helps against leaky gut; repairs the gut's mucosal lining. I have had bad SIBO symptoms; and although anti-biotics and anti-parasitic got rid of it, I want to make sure it doesn't come back and strengthen my gut, as leaky gut may be a root cause or at least a key contributor to SIBO.

However, I then met with a nutritionist who told me that Glutamine was related to Glutamate and Glutamate caused problems for CFS patients. She told me to stop taking Glutamine which I did. I've noticed a decline in energy (though not sure if it's related to that specifically); my dyspnea (stomach discomfort) has been similar, maybe a tad bit worse since stopping it. It's been about a week and I'm wondering what I should do.

I know people's reactions to glutamine are all over the map; some get benefit, some get worse. My reaction so far seems to have been positive. I would have thought that if it was negative, I would have felt it by now. Anyhow- provided that I'm one of the people who responds positively to glutamine- should I get back on it or should I heed the concern that long-term there may be more glutamate in my system, which may worsen my CFS?

Thanks.
As you say, people have a range of reactions to glutamine. There are a lot of threads on it, for example this lot:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?search/43468101/&q=glutamine&o=date&c[title_only]=1

I am currently taking it about once or twice a week - very cautiously. Not sure whether it's good or not...

Thinktank

Not everyone goes berzerk on glutamate. If high glutamate is a concern, then why not add some cofactors to have it help build more glutathione? If l-glutamine is positively adding to your health then i personally see no reason to stop taking it.