• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Most effective remedies for Chronic frontal sinus issues

Kenjie

I have pressure and pain and headaches forehead area.. been through hell with being debilitatingly unwell these past 6 months. I feel and hope that this is the last part to solve and am researching things that DO get rid of it when all else fails.. have tried various antibiotics but we all know they are or can be ineffective the longer a sinus infection is left. I have had staph up my snozzle which is normal at normal levels but i had a high growth which is probably what wreaked havoc on my entire body.. many unhelpful doctors later and a couple grand of money and I feel i have to find the solution myself.

What are your tried and true remedies? Please do share and exchange ideas with each other. I will try anything.. id just love it all to clear up .. that inflammation and swelling feeling..

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Have you tried seeing an allergist? Allergic inflammation can reduce sinus drainage, which in turn can make one more inclined to sinus infections. Controlling the allergens you are environmentally exposed to and eat can have a big impact. Filtering the air in your home and car is important. Collecting and removing allergens from your home is important. Nasal saline, nasal steroids, and nasal antihistamines can help with the allergens you can't control.

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Did any of them make a difference? I came close to sinus surgery, then changed my mind.
FYI, from a non ME patient, my sister and I both had non stop sinus pain and infections. My sister by now has had 9 surgeries and still has major problems. I pursued the allergy route. I used oral antihistamines and had allergy shots for over 10 years. It got me better results than my sister, but still tormented me. Then I got exceptionally good at controlling my environment, including my diet, and continued with the nasal sprays. I was able to D.C. the oral antihistamines and I have had only 2 episodes of sinus pain and/or infection in the last 19 years.

TenuousGrip

Did any of them make a difference? I came close to sinus surgery, then changed my mind.

I'd have to say ... not really. Not in my case.

I eventually got diagnosed with an IgG subclass deficiency (chronic sinusitis is a hallmark symptom). I'd say, between that and what we've now called ME/CFS, my immune system is just too banged up to keep sinus issues at bay.

There are a couple of other things I learned: repeated/chronic infections cause scarring. The scarring stops the cilia from doing their job (ie, sweeping particles through and out of the sinuses). Surgeries cause additional scarring.

Vicious cycle.

If I had it to do over again I'd push for more of a 'root cause' answer and become pretty regimented about saline irrigation. I feel like irrigation does more for me than the surgeries ever did.

That said, I think a fair number of people DO get 'cured' with sinus surgery :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
If I had it to do over again I'd push for more of a 'root cause' answer and become pretty regimented about saline irrigation. I feel like irrigation does more for me than the surgeries ever did.
I've been concentrating on irrigating with a pulsing irrigator. Also on immune and gut treatments as I think some if it is coming from the gut.

Oberon

I have had chronic nasal inflammation since my CFS/ME started and I believe it's related in my case to an ongoing viral infection. I did not have any sinus issues prior to CFS/ME.

The thing that surprisingly helped the most, more than any steroid nose spray, netipot, decongestant, etc. was giving up coffee. The first 1-2 weeks of caffeine withdrawal made the pain significantly worse, but after the withdrawal was over I have had a substantial improvement in pain.

It's very likely due to a personal sensitivity of mine, but if you drink coffee and it may be worth giving it a trial. My pain is still there but I would say it's cut down by 70%.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Here are some comments that I've collected from other PR members:

Colloidal silver, from otherworldly on PR:
Quick, cheap & no MD needed solution from a former bacteriologist (me) who doesn't use pharmaceuticals. When i was still working, i tested various natural antibiotics on my own time in the lab: colloidal silver kills just about anything u throw @ it (even MRSA).

I have been treating my own infections over 20 yrs w/cfs w/100% success rate 4 all known (as in, ones i can feel, no labwork needed) infections. if u can get a nebulizer & add the silver 2 it even better, but if not just the colloidal silver should work just fine. Its very safe. I use it all the time, about 1/2 doz x per yr. kills my sinus infections & any GI infections including food poisoning. Its like magic. I’ve never used anything better. Research it if u like. U may herx a bit, but others wise no GI upset & other side affects that come w/drugs.

Miyarisin / Clostridium Butyricum, from adreno on PR:
One of the first things I noticed with CB was a "clean out" of my sinuses - it was pouring out for a month or so. It seems to have calmed down now.

Andrographis, from Mary on PR:
I was almost continually sick with a sinus infection of some type. I would get sick each time I crashed (general once a week) so would get sick again, and would may be almost recovered by the time I crashed again, it was endless and energy-draining.

Then I found andrographis. My sister had been given it by her doctor (amazingly!) after a severe sinus infection and 2 courses of ABX, and then a bad relapse. The andrographis worked amazingly fast and she has not relapsed.

So I started taking it and it worked for me too. I still start to get sick each time I crash, but don't get as sick and recover much more quickly. I've never had an herb work this well. I've taken both of these products: Planetary Herbals brand, and Paradise Herbs brand.

It's also quite potent too - 2 or 3 tabs for a couple of days were all I needed when sick, and now am taking 1 tab, cut in half, half with breakfast and half with lunch. It's very bitter but I don't care!

me/cfs 27931

In addition to the already mentioned NeilMed sinus rinse and colloidal silver recommendations:
  • Nutribiotic Nasal Spray Plus
  • Nutribiotic Throat Spray
  • Low-dose Naltrexone
The nasal spray is a bit harsh, but it works well for me. I buy both Nutribiotic products on Amazon.

I think it's unusual that LDN helps clear my sinuses.

perchance dreamer

I've been concentrating on irrigating with a pulsing irrigator.

I use a pulsing irrigator, too, @Sushi. I find they are more thorough than regular neti pots.

I use a NeilMed Sinugator, an inexpensive device. Some reviewers said that theirs failed, but I think there must have been a bad batch. I've used the Sinugator for years and have only had to replace it when I dropped it on the floor.

I've had 5 nasal and sinus surgeries, the latest one in March of this year. I've had problems with chronic sinus infections.

My ENT said my sinuses look better now than they ever have. One of the biggest things for me is keeping them moist with saline spray. Bacteria have a better chance of latching if your sinuses are dry and crusty.

I used Simply Saline or Xclear at least twice an hour when I'm home. I also use the sprays when I'm out.

To prevent further infections, I'm working on raising my immunity and reducing allergic reactions by taking prescription drops from my allergist. The drops are an alternative to shots.

Some people find the over-the-counter allergy drops effective, but they don't work for me.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@PatJ - I was just going to post about andrographis here :) Muscle testing indicated that I had a recurrent staph infection, and the andrographis is still working very well at keeping it at bay.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I was having recurring sinus infections, used many antibiotics to limited effect, went to a naturopath and was given oregano oil, a few weeks of it did the trick. That said the hype is pretty strong on what it can do, it does not cure cancer or autism or any of the outlandish claims that are made so don't fall for the hype.​

Kenjie

I need help and dont know what to do next...

I saw opthamologist a week ago about my eyes he thinks the pressure ill go away with ongoing specwear BUT i have pressure in my forehead still..

So i saw the ent 3 days ago and he said my sinuses are clear...when he looked at my ct scan i had 3 or so mths ago.

So if i dont have a sinus infection why do i have pressure and pain in my forehead the last 6 months and behind my eyes?

The opthamologist wrote in letter that my vessels are fine but the optometrist a few months ago said i had enlarged blood vessels which is an indication of highblood pressure in that area.

Im trying to work out why ive been so unwell. Ive seen alot of people who have been of little help.. i feel so lost now and dont know what to do next. Or who to see.

Ive tried probiotics.but im still unwell. The staph in my nose is moderate growth now which they say is considered normal.

I am still experiencing 'balloon head', dizzy spells and slight inbalance feeling when walking, fatigue, low heart rate, general feeling of unwell, queasy gut, and getting.anxiety feeling in chest even when im not anxious, can hardly go into shops cos il get dizzy just standing in line, i feel as.though most of it is physically centred in my head..

Oh and still getting hot flushes!

Ive started dating someone new and bn pushing through the aweful symptoms to try remotely have something of a life otherwise my life isnt really a life fulfilled. Ive become a 'nobody' more than ever.

Yesterday asked for adrenalin and cortisol levels to be tested so waiting fir those. And a retest of antithyroglobulin as it is still very high range.

Can someone please help..

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I am still experiencing 'balloon head', dizzy spells and slight inbalance feeling when walking, fatigue, low heart rate, general feeling of unwell, queasy gut, and getting.anxiety feeling in chest even when im not anxious, can hardly go into shops cos il get dizzy just standing in line, i feel as.though most of it is physically centred in my head..

You may be experiencing symptoms of dysautonomia. See symptoms and more information. A dysautonomia specilaist should know far more than a general doctor about diagnosing and treating your symptoms.

I had a bad sinus and fed up of using antibiotics, the grass cut worsens the situation. The nasal spray and coffee are the best pals in overcoming it. Hope it helps Good Luck!!