• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who Prescribes Anti-Retrovirals in US?

dannybex

Jesse2233

Okay, thanks @Jesse2233 .

For an overview, this sums it up quite well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenot..._virus-related_virus#Chronic_fatigue_syndrome

Even Judy MIkovits was a co-author on the final paper, entitled: No Association between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and either Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus or Polytropic Murine Leukemia Virus.

http://mbio.asm.org/content/3/5/e00266-12

Yea I agree XMRV is very likely not the underlying cause

Benefit from ARVs is either due to 1) misdiagnosis of ME/CFS 2) a heretofore undiscovered common retrovirus or 3) some unrelated immunomdoulating property of ARVs

If I had to bet, I'd bet it's 3

fireflymd

If anyone knows of a physician in the US who treats CFS with anti-retrovirals, please feel free to message me directly.

halcyon

Dr. John Chia uses them. However, he does not use any of the integrase inhibitor class because he's not using them for a presumed retroviral infection. He uses the nucleoside/nucleotide analogs because they are generic viral chain terminators that can work on multiple different viral polymerases to a greater or lesser degree.

halcyon

Any IRIS response?
No. But keep in mind that I was taking it alongside Epivir, amantadine, Equilibrant, etc. Perhaps if you were completely naive to any treatment of this type and took it you might notice some effect.

Jesse2233

No. But keep in mind that I was taking it alongside Epivir, amantadine, Equilibrant, etc. Perhaps if you were completely naive to any treatment of this type and took it you might notice some effect.

Interesting, that's quite a cocktail. Your onset was due to an enterovirus correct?

Keela Too

Sally Burch
Yea I agree XMRV is very likely not the underlying cause

Benefit from ARVs is either due to 1) misdiagnosis of ME/CFS 2) a heretofore undiscovered common retrovirus or 3) some unrelated immunomdoulating property of ARVs

If I had to bet, I'd bet it's 3

I wonder that the whole retro-virus idea was abandoned just because XMRV was not the one.

Surely like bacterial infections, ruling out one bacterium variety, say, E.coli, would not mean ruling out ALL known bacteria as the source of a problem?

I guess time will tell, and certainly 3) is also possible

Countrygirl

Okay, thanks @Jesse2233 .

For an overview, this sums it up quite well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenot..._virus-related_virus#Chronic_fatigue_syndrome

Even Judy MIkovits was a co-author on the final paper, entitled: No Association between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and either Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus or Polytropic Murine Leukemia Virus.

http://mbio.asm.org/content/3/5/e00266-12

Judy's name was on it, but she was allowed no input to the work or to even be present in the building. She was made certain promises about the continuation of the retroviral work, but promises were broken.

Things are not as they seem.

I have also heard of a number of people doing extremely well on ARVs, although I didn't hear the rumour/fact that Jen B is using them.

dannybex

Judy's name was on it, but she was allowed no input to the work or to even be present in the building. She was made certain promises about the continuation of the retroviral work, but promises were broken.

Things are not as they seem.

I have also heard of a number of people doing extremely well on ARVs, although I didn't hear the rumour/fact that Jen B is using them.

So she was forced to sign it? I know she's peddled the claim that people promised this or that, and says she has the emails to prove as much, and even said if anyone would like to see them, she'd publish them on her website. Not sure why she didn't just publish them in the first place, but regardless, she never did.

Anyway, with all due respect @Countrygirl, I'm just not buying her whole 'the world is out to stop me' conspiracy theory, for the simple fact that as others have suggested, if the retroviral hypothesis had any merit -- even remotely -- the drug companies that make the ARVs would've been knocking on her door, more than willing to fund further studies so they could greatly expand their market, and thus their profits.

That didn't happen because the evidence wasn't there.

If anyone is doing 'extremely well' on the drugs, then one would hope that the doctors involved would publish case studies on their patients, but I'm not aware of any.

Of course anyone is welcome to try anything they want, including ARVs. Just not sure why they'd want to.

Last edited: