• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Plasma filter size/type used by Ron Davis?

Jesse2233

Does anyone know the plasma filter sized / type Ron used that still showed results on the impedance assay?

I'd like to provide this to my doctor for plasmapheresis

Thanks!

Last edited:

JaimeS

Regarding what was done at the lab: this is an in vitro test, so it's far from being able to give us anything more than the most basic of cues regarding treatment. I understand that we are desperate for answers, and you have every right to make the best decisions you can about your health given the information available.

[Edited for clarity!]

Last edited:

Jesse2233

Blood plasma isn't being filtered on that test. It's normal plasma that's been spun down in a centrifuge to separate it from RBCs etc. Perhaps I'm confused...

Got it, so particulates haven't started to be filtered out yet?

Know that no one at Stanford is recommending plasmapheresis as a therapy at this time, though.

Understood, I know things are very preliminary at this point

Jesse2233

Thanks @ljimbo423, any idea what that might correspond to on double filtration plasmapheresis (DFPP) in terms of micrometers?

upload_2017-5-23_13-54-51.png

Jesse2233

It would be between 10-2 and 10-3 micrometers.

Thanks Alice, very helpful. Having trouble interpreting some of these plasmapheresis technical documents, but they seem to be within that range

Oh, I see what you're referring to, after looking at that link!

When we perform the test on CFS plasma, the plasma is unfiltered. They're talking about filtering the plasma and the effect disappears. Gotcha!

Yes! :)

Does a filter size between 10-2 and 10-3 micrometers sound right to you?

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
Blood plasma isn't being filtered on that test. It's normal plasma that's been spun down in a centrifuge to separate it from RBCs etc. Perhaps I'm confused...

Regarding what was done at Stanford: this is an in vitro test, so it's far from being able to give us anything more than the most basic of cues regarding treatment. I understand that we are desperate for answers, and you have every right to make the best decisions you can about your health given the information available. Know that no one at Stanford is recommending plasmapheresis as a therapy at this time, though.

@Jesse2233, @JaimeS

Ron asked me to better clarify this. Ron says, "We have filtered the plasma to ascertain the size of the factor(s) that are causing the impedance change in our cell-based assay. The filter had a 10,000 molecular weight cut-off. When ME/CFS cells were exposed to the filtered plasma, they did not show a major increase in impedance, which made them look more like healthy controls.

"If a doctor asks us for information about what we are doing or what we have found, we can provide that information. However, we cannot make recommendations for or against any treatment or procedure to be done on a patient.

"I have no idea what other people at Stanford (outside the Genome Center) might recommend."

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I do wonder if donating blood is a bad idea for ME/CFS patients

@Jesse2233, @JaimeS

Ron asked me to better clarify this. Ron says, "We have filtered the plasma to ascertain the size of the factor(s) that are causing the impedance change in our cell-based assay. The filter had a 10,000 molecular weight cut-off. When ME/CFS cells were exposed to the filtered plasma, they did not show a major increase in impedance, which made them look more like healthy controls.
I know i'm asking for spoilers but can you tell us if they have identified the molecule(s) causing the block?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I do wonder if donating blood is a bad idea for ME/CFS patients
Most would say yes for two reasons: Many of us don't have enough blood to begin with and two, we don't know whether we have stuff in our blood that would impact others. In some places it is illegal for ME/CFS patients to donate blood.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Most would say yes for two reasons: Many of us don't have enough blood to begin with
Thats a good one, i LOLed :woot:
Probably the best reason :D
we don't know whether we have stuff in our blood that would impact others. In some places it is illegal for ME/CFS patients to donate blood
Of course, and i would agree with it not being allowed