• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there a test to measure the gastrointestinal pH ?

Peyt

Hi,
As you might already know, the gastrointestinal pH changes as food moves from stomach to small intestine to large intestine. Here is what I gathered from the internet regarding this:
The intraluminal pH is rapidly changed from highly acid in the stomach to about pH 6 in the duodenum. The pH gradually increases in the small intestine from pH 6 to about pH 7.4 in the terminal ileum. The pH drops to 5.7 in the caecum, but again gradually increases, reaching pH 6.7 in the rectum

So is there a test that can measure the PH in every step or at least in 5-6 areas of the digestion track as food moves through??
The reason I ask is that I do very well (initially) when I take HCL with my food. All my symptoms of bloating and gas goes away , this tells me that I have low stomach acid. However, after about 2-3 days of use of HCL I start getting pain in my body and dry skin which increases if I continue the HCL.... ... This tells me that the acidity that initially helps me to digest the food in the stomach is not becoming alkaline down the line... When I discussed this with my Doctor, all he said is that it means my body is getting too acidic and we will come back to it later but for now stop the HCL. I would like to know if there is a test that can show which part of the digestion track is it that is not doing it's job correctly so I can then hopefully correct it..... Does anyone know of any tests that can help?
Your thoughts are very much appreciated .
Peyt

Last edited:

Dechi

I don't know but have you tried the low fodmap diet and did it help ?

Peyt

I know only of a capsule placed in the esophagus to measure pH values for 48 hours, it's called Bravo PH monitor.
Thanks,
There is another test called "Heidelberg test" which goes 1 step further and tests the acid in the stomach, but again, I am looking for a test to determine the PH further down in the Small and Large Intestine.
It would be great if such a test exists... I am wonder if a stool test is capable of showing the PH in the small and large intestine?

Alexi

Had ph Manometry tests last month. Not with capsule. Involved tube passed up nose and down into stomach and eating and drinking various consistencies. Then smaller tube left in situ for 24 hours. Waiting to see consultant for results......