• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

*2 new* letters, Myra McClue, Annette Whittemore

Status
Not open for further replies.

V99

Good find.

Hopefully McClure will not be too busy, and will take up the offer. I think McClure can be trusted to do a proper replication study.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Thanks villagelife,
very interesting. One wonders why McClure bothered to mention the minutiae of her holiday.

We have no further involvement in the study of CFS.

Hmmm! Just enough to b**** us silly, then you scarper. Did anyone say "Hit and run"??

garcia

Hopefully McClure will not be too busy, and will take up the offer. I think McClure can be trusted to do a proper replication study.

I think McClure has just let us know that she has no interest or incentive to prove herself wrong.

V99

I'm not sure. She may change her mind.

After all it doesn't say much about how inquiring her scientific mind is, if she stops at one, small, non replication attempt. It makes her look used. (by Wessely)

garcia

yes its not very fair, Dr McClue got involved but wasn't prepared to follow it on.....

Well it makes a complete mockery of McClure's claim that she was doing it for the patients all along. Her actions now show that she doesn't give a hoot about the UK patients, whom she has well and truly left in the lurch.

V99

I agree, she came off as rude, dismissive etc. However, would it not be fantastic, if the very person Wessely hired to put a stop to XMRV, ended up contradicting him.

I just think Wessely brain washed her about ME.

garcia said:
Just enough to b**** us silly, then you scarper. Did anyone say "Hit and run"??

Unbelieveable isnt it!

She's saying she doesnt want to play anymore - just after she stuck a knife in to puncture the f-ing ball .

garcia

I agree, she came off as rude, dismissive etc. However, would it not be fantastic, if the very person Wessely hired to put a stop to XMRV, ended up contradicting him.

V, it would be fantastic. But I think we have to be realistic. It's not going to happen.

It would take a lot for McClure to backtrack. She would lose too much face. The only way she would do that would be if she had a big personal stake in the outcome (e.g. a daughter with ME). Like most of the researchers here, she has zero stake. Just another day at the office.

V99

I know, I'm too positive. Although, Annette Whittemore must think it's worth a go.

dsdmom

It sounds to me like McClure wants nothing to do with this and hopes it just goes away....

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
I really don't want any "help" from McClure, for three basic reasons:

(1) she is obviously capable of blinding arrogance,

(2) she is obviously capable of being very unprofessional (see her press comments, especially to the BBC),

(3) she is obviously capable of crappy science.

Adam

LP comes in handy when you're in a fix

Did he achieve this mind manipulation all on his own, or, outsource the project to Phil faster-than-*hit-off-a-shovel Parker? :innocent1:

awol

I hope they do both figure out that it is best to cooperate. It would do wonders for changing the negative, antagonistic tone of this whole saga.

Lesley

I hope they do both figure out that it is best to cooperate. It would do wonders for changing the negative, antagonistic tone of this whole saga.

The original letter from Annette Whittemore to Dr. McClure is here: http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/docs/DearDrMcClureaw4.pdf

It made it clear that WPI has cooperated in the past and was willing to do so in the future. That hasn't been reciprocated.

fred

The game is afoot
The date sequence and content of these letters confused me until I realised that there must be additional correspondence which has not been published.

Annette Whittemore wrote to Prof McClure on 12 April and this letter was published.

McClure's reply is not dated but says "When your email of the 23rd April arrived...." and "I was appalled and saddened to read of your daughters medical history".

This implies that Annette Whittemore sent a subsequent email to McClure on 23 April, possibly a more personal one, appealing to the Prof as a mother perhaps (do we know if McClure has children?).

Annette's second letter to McClure, dated 27 April, says "I appreciate once again your timely reply", which implies that she has received more than one reply from McClure.

Perhaps McClure replied more formally to Annette's initial letter dated 12 April and Annette's email of 23 April was in response to this but neither have been published.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the Freedom of Information request that has been submitted to Imperial College London regarding this correspondence.

Status
Not open for further replies.