• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low level inflammation caused by Advanced Glycation End Products?

drob31

AGE's are a new concept for me, but here's a primer:

http://thepaleodiet.com/rage-of-ages-advanced-glycation-end-products/

Basically when sugar and proteins mix, it can create AGE's which are pretty bad and cause low level inflammation. It turns out that these kind of things would have been at pretty low levels until we started processing food in the last century or two. And, even the paleo diet isn't perfect because some things, like fried bacon are high in AGE's.

It all started when I was researching benfotiamine. And I came across this article:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00446810

An AGE-rich diet can induce after 2-6 weeks persistent increases in mediators linked to vascular dysfunction (e.g. TNFα, VCAM-1) in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). Benfotiamine (BT), the liposoluble derivative of vitamin B1, blocks several pathways common to hyperglycaemia- and AGE-induced endothelial dysfunction. We have shown that advanced glycation end products (AGE) of a regular mixed meal can acutely induce vascular dysfunction in T2DM and that this effects can be prevented by a three days pretreatment with BT.

It's not really the type two diabetes I was interested in, but the cytokines, mainly TNF-a, and the endothelial dysfunction link. I seem to commonly have some sort of endothelial dysfunction, but only after eating.

The hypotheses of this study are that chronical treatment with benfotiamine (900 mg/day for 6 weeks) in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus:

1. prevents postprandial impairment of endothelial function after a high-AGE meal.
  2. Improves fasting endothelial function.
  3. Improves parameters of autonomic function in fasting and postprandial state.
  4. Improves insulin sensitivity and prevents postprandial increase in insulin resistance.

Is avoiding AGE's a key?

@Hip